• Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
Could have borrowed mine
  • David L likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Didn't even think too mention it 😔
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

Could have borrowed mine

Another oops  :buried:

Toby Linder

powered by X-Factor Racing

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Plasma Cutter.

next time

FYI, there's one in beautiful downtown Plano.
https://www.sunbeltr...plasma-cutters/

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Could have borrowed mine

I don't think I knew you had one. :-)

Another oops  :buried:

Its been one of those years. :-|

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

FYI, there's one in beautiful downtown Plano.
https://www.sunbeltr...plasma-cutters/

J~

Thanks for the link, J~. Looks like I might go rent one tomorrow morning, and get this part over with.  I tried for a little while last night with the power tools without much improvement.  But, knowing I could rent one for a small amount of money....I kept looking at it, and thinking "this would be a lot easier with a plasma cutter."  So, I bailed on the power-tool approach pretty quickly and went on to other more productive tasks instead.

The old car is completely stripped of almost everything of value that isn't attached to the roller-skate (doors, front fenders, hood, headlight covers, front bumper, etc).  I've left the engine connected, in case I need to reposition the car in order to get the cage out.  I need to get the cage out by tomorrow evening to stay on track.  I've got a lot of things that I can't do until after the cage is out to finalize preparations for transferring to the new tub.

I expect the new tub to arrive Sunday or Monday night.  Obviously, that's going to take more than a week clean up and then put back together.  I haven't seen pix of the new tub, so I'm not certain how much cleanup/prep will be required before its really ready for "assembly".  Something more than "none".

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Thought you were going to get Chris's ??

My post was more of a FYI for those reading the thread later of "Oh I can go rent one??"

But if you want to...

Are you getting the tub all striped down like one of Jim's Blog ?? super light, etc.

I guess the plasma cutter would come in handy for the tunnel/seat cut out too.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Chris is in Houston this weekend for the SCCA Major's event.  I think I need to get it done before he's back from there.  I'm feeling pressed for time already.  Doing nothing for two days...seems like a bad idea.  Besides, at $40 / day its NBD. 

Trans tunnel notch is NBD with an angle grinder/cutoff wheel.  3 straight cuts and done, 2 minutes tops.  BTDT. 

Lightness is, of course, a goal.  It has to be on a 1.6L, right?  Most of the excess weight in Kermit (name of current car) was added by me during the initial build. I didn't realize how quickly stuff adds up.  I won't be putting that excess into the new car.

I'm not HAVING anyone strip the car for me.  It'll be whatever I have time/patience for while holding to the schedule goal of making it to Hallett on 11 June.  That's one of the reasons for the push to be done with the old tub, asap---To leave myself time to work on the new tub.  I certainly want to clean up/remove the junk/weight behind the dash, and in the trunk, and the various other places that the ounces turn into pounds.

-tch

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Ok,

I'd make it the best you could and if you miss the date, you miss it, still a goal to shoot for.
Than
I'm going to do what I can and maybe cut some corners to make the date.

I'm not saying you're saying either here, just my opinion...
J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Well, guess what? Apparently, I did turn on the cameras. So I have video of the crash. Here it is:

I still don't understand why it happened, but there it is. It's also interesting how your memory makes up details to fill in gaps.

-tch

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29

!

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Well, guess what? Apparently, I did turn on the cameras. So I have video of the crash. Here it is:

I still don't understand why it happened, but there it is. It's also interesting how your memory makes up details to fill in gaps.

From the video it appears you turned in early and knew you did and lifted, which sent the rear around. The tank slapper was a bad one.

If you find yourself turned in early at that corner straighten the wheel and track rt and gather the car as you ascend the hill. You had full left hand turn input when you lifted.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Thank. No one likes to hear that it's their own damn fault. But, that's more or less what I've assumed happened. It's hard to see in the data traces alone. I don't have a tps just a wot switch.

I'll be trying to sync the data and video next and see if that reveals what you suggest.

I also have rear camera video.

-tch

surlynkid

surlynkid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Car Number:20
Too bad you don't live close. I have a miller cut mate 375 plasma cutter. You would have been welcome to use it.

surlynkid

surlynkid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Car Number:20
Yes. Turned in early and then just the twitch of steering wheel to undo the early input but it was over when you turned in early with nowhere to go. You can hear the lift as Michael says. A lift in 7 or 12 is kiss of death. It looks like you were fidgeting with helmet, visor, face or something with your right hand on back straight. I would guess that distracted you just enough to not be on your A game at turn in. Sorry it all happened but glad you walked away unscathed.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Car looks (looked) kinda loose.  Was it bottoming out too?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Car has always been loose... Er was always. I don't (didn't) run the rear bar in order to help. It wasn't any more loose than usual. I've driven much worse at tws before.

-tch

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Cage is out. A friend from high school is a metal worker (big construction contractor). He offered to loan me his 1" plasma cutter.

I ended up having to cut the a pillars and along the base of the windshield. I broke the back of the windshield and was able to extract the cage whole. It will NOT go back that way.

-tch

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Car has always been loose... Er was always. I don't (didn't) run the rear bar in order to help. It wasn't any more loose than usual. I've driven much worse at tws before.

My 1.8 has always been annoyingly loose, but I'd guess that no rear sway would be way too pushy.  That's pretty odd that you were that loose with no rear sway.

If you watch the shift lights, it looks like you didn't lose rpm until the car was already going.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Tom, agree on the turning early, but you were doing something with your belts or helmet, or maybe picing your nose before you turned in. What was that? Never do anything that distracts you in a mission critical part of the course. Get your drinking, belt tightening, ball scratching, nose picking and texting done on the straights, but not in the high speed sweepers. Oh and the straights are also for checking all the vitals on the gauges. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users