• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

HLF

HLF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Car Year:1997

I'm a 6'4", all torso, enthusiast. To make a long story short, I tried to make a cage work (I really did) with a hardtop and I couldn't do it safely. I sold my 1997 Miata a little over a year ago because my wife and I were expecting our first kid and I really wanted to track a car with a hardtop.

I just saw this handsome red lettering in the CCR and thought I would see if anyone has done it yet? 

20.2.21 The driver’s side floor pan may be modified to accommodate larger/taller drivers. All modification

shall be contained between the transmission tunnel, driver’s side rocker, rear bulkhead and no

more than 24” forward of rear bulkhead. The modification shall not extend below the factory floor

stiffener/frame rail. The steel used in the modification shall be no thinner than .058”. All modifications shall be welded in place. This modification shall serve no other purpose other than

seating position. 

Attached Files

HLF

HLF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

How much room is there to gain from this? One vertical inch?

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

My kit gains about 1.5 inches

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:84

About the max you can gain is 1.75", but that would be without retaining any floor pan stiffener rail down the center.  So, 1.5" is about what you can get (unless you want to use much thicker/heavier sheet metal with no stiffener rail).  The lower floor height makes a big difference in head clearance.   I'm not tall enough to need it to fit in the car, but I consider it a huge safety benefit even for shorter drivers, simply because you get your head below the roll cage bars. 

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HLF

HLF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

This is really cool. 

Does anyone know someone in TX with a modified floor? I'd like to check it out next race weekend. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users