Photo

Warning lights - what temp (water) & pressure (oil)?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
Everyone was so nice with their other replies about whether to run with a thermostat or not (funny, the oil sender is a but unhappy :)) I'm back asking about thresholds for water temperature & oil pressure.

At what temperature should these engines be shutdown? Meaning, "When your engine hits 225* there are problems and you need to slow and enter the pits."

Similarly for oil pressure - what's the low value for when there's a serious issue that needs addressing? 15# of pressure and it's time to call it quits?

I'm working with a pair of gauges that aren't mounted in the line of sight however I do have the upper radiator hose block & the remote oil sending block with the extra bungs to install the appropriate senders that can light warning lights within view. I just need to know what values for these variables.

After a Google search, my gut call is:
230* water temp
20# oil pressure

Thanks!
Brandon
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:19
As for oil pressure, After a long race, my oil pressure is down to 10 pounds. it usually idles around 20 or 25 when warm. I think its my oil thinning out. I use regular old oil in my handcrafted 18yr old motor.
How do I fit this Ls7 into my mia.... nevermind

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59
I set my oil pressure warning at 30#. When the car is idling after it is warmed up the light goes off, but I don't really want to run any less than 30# when pushing the car on track. I figure if the pressure drops down to 20# at high RPM's you are likely to do some damage. So far I have never seen the warning light while on track, so that is working for me.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
I set my water temp warning to 205F. I want to know when I'm losing power so I can activate the secondary cooling system. It's on a yellow light and serves as a 'look at the gauge' warning rather than a panic value.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Pressman

Richard Pressman

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:87
You may also want to consider adding a water pressure warning light. Would probably let you know of a problem sooner than just a temp light/gauge if you're loosing fluid. Ours is set at four psi.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I like to set mine at levels where they never go off on the track unless there is a problem (no 2ndary cooling system here). If lights are on too much, you first keep checking them and see there's no real problem, and eventually ignore the lights (crying wolf syndrome).

My water high is set at 230. If it goes off I have a big issue. I had low set at 160 but it stays on too much. My oil high P is 90. Low is 30 and I don't notice it until I come off the track hot, then my P goes down to 10-11 at idle.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
When the motor starts to slow down and making a banging noise I head for the pits. Its never happened, last years motor would not blow if I wanted it to. Once I ran the oil down to two qts and it just bitched allot.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66
Secondary cooling? I missed that in the GCR.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Secondary cooling? I missed that in the GCR.

I'm going to guess heater/defroster...always worked in the old Dodge!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users