davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I have spouted off many times on here about using Mobil 1 street oil in a race car. Not gonna type it again. It's in my book and in the search function.

Trying to compare oil weights between brands is impossible. Pick the color bottle you like and adjust accordingly. Remember it is not the viscosity of new oil you worry about. It is the viscosity after it has been 300* and pounded by the forces of our 125hp motors. I learned a lot about oil from talking with the Gibbs guy at PRI many years ago. He told me the ball example. But I am a Redline guy. Never had an issue, so I stay with what I know. And I do mix weights to get the pressure I want. I also record oil pressure in the data and check regularly for any irregularities.

If you don't have an accurate gauge and don't care about the last 1/2 horsepower, I recommend the Schaeffer oil that I use in all my rental cars. I use the 20w-50 weight race oil. It is thick enough to provide excellent protection, yet does not rob horsepower like many other name brand oils do. I have seen a 9 horsepower change on the dyno, simply by changing oil.

Dave

• lillyweld likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

You should have this discussion with your motor builder, he will have a recommendation about oil viscosity and target oil oressure.

Unfortunately the original motor that came with the car was not built by Sac....I left the original builder a few message when I first purchase the car and no return phone call.....

Since then SAC has built me a new motor and there is no issue...The original motor is now my back-up motor and was just wondering about the low oil pressures...

I guess I will experiment with oils on the back-up motor.....As far as reading Dave book, I guess I have to re-read it. 

The only reason why I started using Mobil 1 was because it was one of the sponsors for the runoffs last year.. :pessimist:

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

On the original motor I see 40+PSI when its cold and idling when I come to the pits after a race its about 10PSI-15PSI idling, goes up to 30+ if I rev the engine. 

What oil should I be using on that engine? I currently use 0-40 mobil 1 synthetic 

It is not so much 6500.. what you want to look at is what your oil pressure is at WOT after the car is at operating temps. The engine you mention was not built for longevity, but I have run some like that personally for years with no issue. I like to see 35+ psi at WOT when the car is at operating temps. From what you are saying, cold and idling doesnt tell me much. But I think you will be fine to run 10/40 or 20/50 or a combo of them. Try to get 37-40 psi at WOT, should be very doable from what you describe. 10-15 psi after a session and hot is low, but wouldnt neccessarily scare me either. I have a longacre warning light in all our cars that comes on when oil presure is under 20 psi. It comes on in every engine we build after a session at idle, very normal. We are usuablly 15-19 psi.

Jim

• Richard Astacio likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

It is not so much 6500.. what you want to look at is what your oil pressure is at WOT after the car is at operating temps. The engine you mention was not built for longevity, but I have run some like that personally for years with no issue. I like to see 35+ psi at WOT when the car is at operating temps. From what you are saying, cold and idling doesnt tell me much. But I think you will be fine to run 10/40 or 20/50 or a combo of them. Try to get 37-40 psi at WOT, should be very doable from what you describe. 10-15 psi after a session and hot is low, but wouldnt neccessarily scare me either. I have a longacre warning light in all our cars that comes on when oil presure is under 20 psi. It comes on in every engine we build after a session at idle, very normal. We are usuablly 15-19 psi.

Jim

Thanks Jim, much appreciated, I will check my aim data. 

I set up my aim with several alarms, my dash lights up red after certain condition it also list the condition. 

I have low oil pressure, high coolant temp, low alternator amperage, 

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned sending samples out for testing. That can give you data on how "worn" the oil is after races, if it was overheated, the condition of the engine, if coolant is entering the oil, and lots more, for $20-25.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Oil sample inspection can give you a lot of information. But most of it is not applicable to our situation. Get a good oil pressure gauge, know what it is telling you at speed, under load and HOT. Use good race oil of the proper weight so you have proper oil pressure (see mine and Jim's recomendations above). Most motors will last years in these cars if taken care of properly.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users