Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

So is it me or are they pretty close to each other ?

Central Florida Region

http://www.cfrscca.org/?page_id=4142

Example

January 6-8 – Florida Region Majors – Homestead-Miami Speedway

January 13-15 – Southeastern Conference Majors – Sebring Long Course – 12 Hour Paddock

No comment ? :)

J~

these two are intentionally close as many make a vacation out of the two races. 

Hallet and VIR has been a conflict for me for last 6 years running...

Also not noted.. Atlanta and Cota are back to back.. Atlanta decided not to be a Super tour.. but it is a must for most of us within driving distance.. So back to back with COTA, two HUGE races.. We will have to chose only one :(

• lillyweld likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

The Florida back to back weekends is intentional. It gets us from the north side to leave the snow behind for sunny (hopefully) Florida.

My conversations is that there was no expectation for anyone to do all the Super Tour events. Super Tour is piggy backing onto existing Majors dates. Which may have been scheduled months ago. Sometimes leaving no choice on dates. Remember that the dates are arrainged by the local Region/Division and not by Topeka.

Dave

• Danny Steyn likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I would think very few racers are going to go to hallet, making it a super tour imo will not attract many more racers, especially when its a week before VIR, I know where I would rather go.  Road America vs. Watkins, I would think most will favor going to the one that is in their conference, if they had to pick between.  

Only 6 races count toward the championship points, out of the 20 possible races.  I personally dont care about chasing this points title myself it is far to much travel, anyone who wants to win will go to the 6 lightest attended races, and in no way am I saying Kicera won the title this way, but he could have easily been beaten this way had someone wanted to, this is no different IMO then the what we already had.  If they were serious about this they would have spaced these races out at least every 3-4 weeks, seems they just let the regions jump on board if they wanted a piece of the pie.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

these two are intentionally close as many make a vacation out of the two races. 

Hallet and VIR has been a conflict for me for last 6 years running...

Also not noted.. Atlanta and Cota are back to back.. Atlanta decided not to be a Super tour.. but it is a must for most of us within driving distance.. So back to back with COTA, two HUGE races.. We will have to chose only one :(

So COTA was taken off the Super Tour list. Current a 10 venue schedule. You think COTA's going to be a Major or there not done with list ? You've seen the Region's Schedule ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

So is it me or are they pretty close to each other ?

Central Florida Region
http://www.cfrscca.org/?page_id=4142

Example
January 6-8 – Florida Region Majors – Homestead-Miami Speedway
January 13-15 – Southeastern Conference Majors – Sebring Long Course – 12 Hour Paddock

No comment ? :)
J~

This has been this way for years for these two races.  Actually, used to be Sebring before PBIR/Homestead weekend.  However, I think this may be a good idea for the south Florida races if you are going to have two majors weekends down here.  Sebring is a long tow for anyone outside of Florida and Homestead is a REALLY long tow for anyone outside of Florida. If they were more spread out, people would only go to Sebring, and Homestead would be virtually unattended by any out of Florida drivers (don't blame them).   With them being back to back, some shops or average car owners can go to Homestead Miami, leave their trailers and stuff at Sebring that weekend and come back a week later to race. or just take a little vacation in florida since it is too cold up north, etc. 

If anything, they should just get rid of homestead majors and make the May race weekend at Daytona a major instead. That Daytona regional already pulls in just as many cars than the homestead majors and is more of a bucket list track.  I think a Daytona Majors race would way more exciting than Homestead.  But then you have all the political BS about CFR having two majors and FL region not having any, soooo it wont happen.

2016 Homestead Majors:  50  SM

2016 Sebring Majors:        68  SM

2016 Daytona Regional:    53 SM 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So COTA was taken off the Super Tour list. Current a 10 venue schedule. You think COTA's going to be a Major or there not done with list ? You've seen the Region's Schedule ?

J~

Found this so I don't know what's the deal of not being on the list or taking it off....

2017 Southwest Division Club Racing Schedule

Dates Event / Type Points Details
January 28-29  SOWDIV Winter Festival at MSR Cresson hosted by the Texas Region. Non-Points Races.  Super School, Reg Race, Club Trials
February 11-12  Polar Prix Grand Prix at Texas World Speedway hosted by the Texas Region. Majors & Double Regional  Southern Conference & SWRRC
March 4-5  Voodoo Quatre Super Tour at NOLA Motorsports Park hosted by Houston / SOWDIV Racing Association. Majors Points  Southern & Southeast Conferences & SWRRC
March 24-26  CoTA GP Super Tour at Circuit of The Americas hosted by Lone Star / SOWDIV Racing Association. Super Tour  Southern Conference & SWRRC
Apr 8-9  Hallet Super Tour at Hallet hosted by AVRG. Super Tour.  Southern & Mid-States Conferences
Apr 29-30  Fun in the Sun at MSR Houston hosted by the Houston Region. Majors, Double Regional, PDX  Southern Conference & SWRRC
May 27-28  Lone Star Grand Prix at Texas World Speedway by the Lone Star Region. Majors, Double Regional, PDX  Southern Conference & SWRRC
November 18-19  SWRRC Races at Texas World Speedway hosted by Texas Region. Double Regional & Double Club Trials  2017 Double SWRRC/2018 SWRRC
December 2-3  The Abominable at MSR Houston hosted by the Houston Region. Double Regional & PDX  2018 SWRRC

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Found this so I don't know what's the deal of not being on the list or taking it off....

2017 Southwest Division Club Racing Schedule
Dates Event / Type Points Details
January 28-29  SOWDIV Winter Festival at MSR Cresson hosted by the Texas Region. Non-Points Races.  Super School, Reg Race, Club Trials
February 11-12  Polar Prix Grand Prix at Texas World Speedway hosted by the Texas Region. Majors & Double Regional  Southern Conference & SWRRC
March 4-5  Voodoo Quatre Super Tour at NOLA Motorsports Park hosted by Houston / SOWDIV Racing Association. Majors Points  Southern & Southeast Conferences & SWRRC
March 24-26  CoTA GP Super Tour at Circuit of The Americas hosted by Lone Star / SOWDIV Racing Association. Super Tour  Southern Conference & SWRRC
Apr 8-9  Hallet Super Tour at Hallet hosted by AVRG. Super Tour.  Southern & Mid-States Conferences
Apr 29-30  Fun in the Sun at MSR Houston hosted by the Houston Region. Majors, Double Regional, PDX  Southern Conference & SWRRC
May 27-28  Lone Star Grand Prix at Texas World Speedway by the Lone Star Region. Majors, Double Regional, PDX  Southern Conference & SWRRC
November 18-19  SWRRC Races at Texas World Speedway hosted by Texas Region. Double Regional & Double Club Trials  2017 Double SWRRC/2018 SWRRC
December 2-3  The Abominable at MSR Houston hosted by the Houston Region. Double Regional & PDX  2018 SWRRC

I havent seen it, but I bet they are finalizing things.. we shall see. but regardless of whether it is a super tour or not.. we will all be going and most of us like to do Atlanta as well. Back to back makes that all but impossible IMO. . Atleast for those of us with day jobs. 

This has been this way for years for these two races.  Actually, used to be Sebring before PBIR/Homestead weekend.  However, I think this may be a good idea for the south Florida races if you are going to have two majors weekends down here.  Sebring is a long tow for anyone outside of Florida and Homestead is a REALLY long tow for anyone outside of Florida. If they were more spread out, people would only go to Sebring, and Homestead would be virtually unattended by any out of Florida drivers (don't blame them).   With them being back to back, some shops or average car owners can go to Homestead Miami, leave their trailers and stuff at Sebring that weekend and come back a week later to race. or just take a little vacation in florida since it is too cold up north, etc. 

If anything, they should just get rid of homestead majors and make the May race weekend at Daytona a major instead. That Daytona regional already pulls in just as many cars than the homestead majors and is more of a bucket list track.  I think a Daytona Majors race would way more exciting than Homestead.  But then you have all the political BS about CFR having two majors and FL region not having any, soooo it wont happen.

2016 Homestead Majors:  50  SM
2016 Sebring Majors:        68  SM
2016 Daytona Regional:    53 SM
They dont make Daytona a majors BC they get som many entries as it is and make more money as a regional. At 50 entiries, Homestead is hardly a flop either? not the best track, but fun in its own right as well.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

From my northerly view:

March 4-5 NOLA Super Tour

1 weekend off

March 18-19 Atlanta Major

March 25-26 COTA Super Tour

1 weekend off

April 8-9 Hallett Super Tour

April 15-15 VIR Super Tour

That's 5 big races over 7 weekends. I would guess we would skip Hallett and do the remainder.

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I havent seen it,

https://www.scca.com...r-2017-schedule

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

From my northerly view:

March 4-5 NOLA Super Tour

1 weekend off

March 18-19 Atlanta Major

March 25-26 COTA Super Tour

1 weekend off

April 15-15 VIR Super Tour

That's 5 big races over 7 weekends. I would guess we would skip Hallett and do the remainder.

New meaning to double dipping. :)

J~

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Just did a quick mapquest of Road Atlanta to COTA at 1000 miles.

For Advanced, we have 3 straight weekends at Blackhawk right after the VIR Super Tour

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

Just did a quick mapquest of Road Atlanta to COTA at 1000 miles.

For Advanced, we have 3 straight weekends at Blackhawk right after the VIR Super Tour

Where? ;)

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Now if we can get Danny and the other OPM ladies to come.. We could have a heck of an event. No much on things to do and bells and whistles.. But the track is one of teh most fun we race. the people are great

• Danny Steyn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Hallet is the coolest race track that nobody goes too!!
  • steveracer likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Hallet is the coolest race track that nobody goes too!!

That and grattan.. have to give those guys some props too. That place was a blast

• mellen likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Been to grattan on motorcycles never been there in a car. That said it was awesome on the bikes!!
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

Now if we can get Danny and the other OPM ladies to come.. We could have a heck of an event. No much on things to do and bells and whistles.. But the track is one of teh most fun we race. the people are great

The track is pretty fun, but I have never seen the luster than everyone else has seen in it? Now, there's a place just south in College Station......

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Now, there's a place just south in College Station......

F that place!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

That and grattan.. have to give those guys some props too. That place was a blast

Your going to become a Farmer next year, correct. :bigsquaregrin: 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Your going to become a Farmer next year, correct. :bigsquaregrin:

90%

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users