Photo

Odds on favorite for the Mazda Shootout?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:15
Congrats to all but especially Julian and Tyler!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

So whoever wins iracing gets automatically selected to the final 12??? Why race on the track then.... <_<

You make a good point.  iRacing is a hell of a lot cheaper and you can drink beer while you do it!

• Richard Astacio likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Mazda Road to 24 Shootout Finalists Announced

https://mazdamotorsp...gId=-1&button=y

One Talented Racer Will Earn a $100,000 Scholarship for the 2017 Battery Tender Mazda Global MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires.

IRVINE, Calif. (November 2, 2016) – Mazda has confirmed the eight finalists for the 11th annual Mazda Road to 24 Shootout. This post-season shootout will award a $100,000 Mazda Motorsports scholarship to compete in the 2017 Battery Tender Mazda Global MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires. The 2016 Shootout will take place November 15-16, 2016 at the NOLA Motorsports Park, in Avondale, Louisiana.

Winning a club racing championship with Mazda power is the primary entry channel into the Mazda Road to 24 Shootout. Two dozen racers were eligible for the shootout based upon success with the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA), the National Auto Sport Association (NASA), Teen Mazda Challenge, Formula Car Challenge or iRacing. These racers were then invited to submit a written and video proposal from which the finalists were selected.

The 2016 finalists are:

1)    Michael Carter, Savannah, Georgia – At-Large Nominee – SCCA Spec Miata

2)    Matt Cresci, Los Gatos, California – At-Large Nominee – NASA Spec Miata

3)    Julian Garfield, Mount Airy, Maryland – At-Large Nominee – SCCA SOLO

4)    Justin Hille, Ypsilanti, Michigan – SCCA Runoffs Spec Miata Champion

5)    Tyler Kicera, Mount Gretna, Pennsylvania – NASA East Spec Miata Champion

6)    Daniel Langon, Alamo, California – Teen Mazda Challenge Western Region Champion

7)    Matthew Machiko, Wexford, Pennsylvania – SCCA Runoffs Formula Mazda Champion

8)    TBD - iRacing Global Mazda MX-5 Combine Cup Champion (to be confirmed Nov. 8)

John Doonan, director of motorsports, Mazda North American Operations, said, “Mazda continues to be proud to be able to offer this un-matched Mazda Road to 24 opportunity to drivers all across North America.  Each year we say that this is our strongest class ever, and 2016 is no exception.  It’s amazing how tough the competition is and that it gets more competitive every year.  Taking the shootout to a new venue will add to the challenge.  May the best racer win.”

• Tyler Kicera, Xav and Richard Astacio like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

So whoever wins iracing gets automatically selected to the final 12??? Why race on the track then.... <_<

Because getting entry into the shootout isn't the same as winning the shootout.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Because getting entry into the shootout isn't the same as winning the shootout.

Understood, but others have to invest and win a championship or be voted as a at large nominee, then you have to submit a video so that you are considered to be one of the finalist in the shootout. 

While iracing just automatically gets chosen into the shootout. Just doesn't seem to be equal opportunity. 

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Understood, but others have to invest and win a championship or be voted as a at large nominee, then you have to submit a video so that you are considered to be one of the finalist in the shootout. 

While iracing just automatically gets chosen into the shootout. Just doesn't seem to be equal opportunity. 

WHAT, you want entry parity!!! :rotfl:

• sentercut likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I'm going to take a wild azz guess here and say that when it comes down to picking a winner, those that have proven it on the track will have a big edge in the process over the iracer, but my hat is off to the iracing champ.  Winning that is not easy. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Richard, do you remember who won last year ??

Glenn McGee Torrance, California iRacing Champion

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

The iRacing challenge works like this:

Step 1: You had October 25-30 to be in the fastest 40 lap times on Laguna. 

Step 2: There was a race among the top 40 cars for 30 minutes and all of the racers are judged on a overall basis (not just finish position)

Step 3: ALL 40 drivers submit a video just like the real racers did.

Step 4: Mazda selects 1 of the 40. 

While I agree it is a lot cheaper than real racing, these fast iracers put in A LOT of time in the sim. Probably more time than most SM racers put into racing.  I know Hille and Michael carter for example are online almost every night.  It is harder than it looks to be competitive.   I think Glenn Mcgee did a great job this year after winning the combine and being pretty competitive first time in a race car. 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

While I agree it is a lot cheaper than real racing, these fast iracers put in A LOT of time in the sim. Probably more time than most SM racers put into racing.  I know Hille and Michael carter for example are online almost every night.  It is harder than it looks to be competitive.   I think Glenn Mcgee did a great job this year after winning the combine and being pretty competitive first time in a race car. 

Glenn was more than just competitive. He was downright fast. If I remember, his time in the wet on the final day was almost identical to Drennans.

• Danica Davison likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

WHAT, you want entry parity!!! :rotfl:

Now that is funny..... :hugegrin: Didn't even realized I started another parity thread.....

Richard Astacio

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

The iRacing challenge works like this:

Step 1: You had October 25-30 to be in the fastest 40 lap times on Laguna. 

Step 2: There was a race among the top 40 cars for 30 minutes and all of the racers are judged on a overall basis (not just finish position)

Step 3: ALL 40 drivers submit a video just like the real racers did.

Step 4: Mazda selects 1 of the 40. 

Good to know...

Richard Astacio

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Meet the Contenders: Tyler Kicera  (I assume there doing this one at a time)

At 31 years of age, Tyler Kicera has been involved in motorsports for twenty-five years.  Raised in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, he began racing quarter midgets at the age of six at a small asphalt oval in nearby Honeybrook.  He worked his way into sports car racing with SCCA in the mid-2000s.

Kicera-2-1024x683.jpg

After a four-year hiatus from driving, Kicera returned to competition in 2012 with serious focus.  His racing efforts have always been family oriented and his team is made up of three generations of racers.  In the ultra competitive Spec Miata class, where teammates are important, Kicera won the 2016 NASA Eastern States championship and two SCCA US Majors nationwide point’s championships in 2015 and 2016 as a single car effort.  In 2016 he won over 75% of his starts.

Kicera notes, “Showing up to the track with a single car was tough in the beginning because we were so focused on what everyone else was doing with tires and setup, trying to play catch up.  I prep and crew chief my own car making calls on setup and strategy with input from my crew.”  On his success over the past few seasons he added, “At some point we started to hit on the setup and I really tuned up my driving with data and video analyses.  We stopped paying attention to what others were doing and really focused on making our car match what I needed as a driver.”

Off the track Kicera works in business development at TAIT, a world leader in the field of live event, producing some of the most iconic concert tours and architectural installations on the planet.  With a degree in architecture, he has an extensive creative background and has put that to good use building and managing his own motorsport’s brand.

“My career outside of racing has taught me a lot that I apply on and off the track from mental focus and creative vision, to business development.   The Mazda Road to 24 Shootout presents an amazing opportunity to leverage my experience, partnering with Mazda and competing for the Battery Tender Global MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich championship in 2017.  I’m truly honored to be a finalist in this year’s shootout.”

• Ron Alan, Danny Steyn, Derrick Ambrose and 2 others like this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Meet the Contenders: Matt Cresci

Eight of the top grassroots competitors will compete November 15 & 16 at NOLA Motorsports Park for the Mazda Road to 24 scholarship valued at $100,000. Today, we feature Matt Cresci, an elite Spec Miata competitor.

Cresci_MTC_1-2-1024x997.jpg

Matt Cresci bought his first car at the age of 15, just as his passion for racing was developing on the Sony PlayStation. In 2012, he got his first break, tying for first out of 400,000 competitors in a Gran Turismo driving simulator competition. As a result, he was flown to Silverstone Circuit in the UK to race real cars, where it soon became apparent that he could compete with the best. After this experience, there was no turning back.

Shortly after, Cresci and his father decided to invest in a street legal 1990 Spec Miata. Even on a tight budget, Matt Cresci could afford to race by simply driving the car to the track, with his tools in the trunk and slick tires hitched to the back of the car. Late in 2014, he drove across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sonoma Raceway, where he finished 4th at the NASA National Championships in his rookie year.

The 2015 season saw Cresci step up to podium competitiveness. During the 2015 NASA Championships held at Mazda Raceway, he began the final Spec Miata race in 20th place after difficulties earlier in the weekend. He made up nine positions by the end of the first lap, and continued on to a second place finish, setting the fastest lap of the race and receiving the hard charger award. Video here.

Simultaneously, Cresci had also been working hard on his education at Santa Clara University. Matt focused on a degree in business, knowing that to race professionally, he needed to become a finely tuned marketing machine. He proceeded to graduate at the top of his class, and acquired valuable work experience in the process. Fun fact: After receiving his diploma, he left his graduation ceremony early to compete in a race that same afternoon.

After graduation, Cresci took his racing dreams into his own hands. He used his free time to study how to create value for partners; he created professional videos; taught himself how to effectively use social media; designed his own website and logos; analyzed data; provided coaching services, and more.

In 2016, Cresci continued his championship efforts in Spec Miata, and won his debut races in both the USTCC Super Touring class and the NASA Super Unlimited class.

Cresci’s preparation has earned him a spot in this year’s Mazda Road to 24 Shootout. And he is ready. "I am prepared for the scholarship opportunity that Mazda has provided,” commented Cresci. “Winning takes the total package and I have worked hard to become just that. I can't wait to put my knowledge and experience to the test alongside some of the most talented club racers in the country!"

• Ron Alan, Danny Steyn, Justin Casey and 2 others like this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Meet the Contenders: Justin Hille

Eight of the top grassroots competitors will compete November 15 & 16 at NOLA Motorsports Park for the Mazda Road to 24 scholarship valued at $100,000. Today, we feature Justin Hille, the 2016 SCCA Runoffs National Champion, Spec Miata.

Hille-1024x681.jpg

Spirit of Mazda award recipient, Justin Hille, a 25-year-old Vehicle Testing Supervisor at Roush Industries, has been immersed in the automotive world since the age of 8, and the motorsports world since age 16.  Before Hille was behind the wheel of an actual car, his family new he had a natural gift for the sport, and a true love for it that he wanted everybody to enjoy equally.  When he finally got behind the wheel, the ideas were proven on-track, culminating with a national championship in the most popular and competitive club racing class in the world, and being an instrumental part in the growth of the competitiveness of Spec Miata in his area.

Quickly making his way through the HPDE ranks with the help of his family and fellow club members, and eventually becoming a right-seat instructor for novices in multiple automotive clubs, Hille had his sights set on competing wheel-to-wheel.  In early 2010, he enrolled in competition school with his newly purchased 1991 Mazda Miata, built by Long Road Racing. Quickly getting up to speed in his first year of racing, he was able to run below the track record at two tracks, and pick up two wins. “I study my video daily, partly to re-live the awesome experience, but mostly to figure out what I can do better next time.  I always criticize myself regardless of the result, because perfection is so hard to achieve,” Hille stated.  Living by this philosophy, Hille accrued impressive statistics; during his next six years and 89 races later, he earned a 43 percent win ratio, with 84 percent of his finishes in the top 5.

While Hille’s own racing efforts are important to him, his colleagues are equally as important.  “I have no problem sharing data or setup advice with even my closest competitors. It is for the benefit of the class to have as many people as possible fighting for the win; that’s why the spectators love to watch us race, and that’s why people love to race this class.”

Hille feels that gestures like these improve the racing all around, making the environment more respectful, while not taking away from the fierce competition.  “When we get in the car, and put our helmets on, we all want to win just as bad as the next guy.”

If Hille wins the Mazda Road to 24 Shootout, and competes in the Battery Tender Global Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires, he plans to bring this attitude into the pro racing world, as well as continue to cascade this attitude to the club racing world, convincing more and more people to race Mazdas and promote the opportunities that Mazda provides.

• Speedycrw, Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and 5 others like this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Meet the Contenders: Julian Garfield

Eight of the top grassroots competitors will compete November 15 & 16 at NOLA Motorsports Park for the Mazda Road to 24 scholarship valued at $100,000. Today, we feature Julian Garfield, our first autocross champion to be invited to the MRT24 Shootout.

Brian-with-Julian-1024x838.jpg

(Julian and father Brian pictured above - both earned trophies at the 2016 SCCA Solo Nationals.)

After spending two-thirds of his life as an SCCA member, 18 year old Julian Garfield has become recognized nationwide as one of SCCA Solo’s most notable young drivers in the sport. Spending a brief period on track in both SCCA and NASA club racing, Garfield proved that he had what it took to be a race winner, and given the opportunity, finds the full potential of whatever car he is tossed into.

He began in SCCA Solo at five years old with the Washington DC Region, where his family was, and still is, heavily involved with the program. In karts he acquired five consecutive SCCA Solo Nationals wins and five ProSolo championships from 2008 to 2012, tying a 40-year record in the sport. At the age of 13, Garfield acquired a competition license and began club racing with NASA in a 1992 Mazda Miata. Shortly after turning 15, Garfield transitioned into SCCA Club Racing to compete in Showroom Spec Miata, the largest class within the DC region. There he earned three wins, five poles, and the runner up spot in the 2013 Mid Atlantic Road Racing Series championship. Due to the expense, he returned to the SCCA Solo scene in 2014 claiming many notable finishes at the National level in various classes. After finishing 2nd place at the 2015 SCCA Solo Nationals in a 1990 Mazda Miata built for C Street Prepared, he transitioned into a 2016 Mazda MX-5 to compete in C Street. There, Garfield went undefeated in the 2016 ProSolo series picking up his 6th championship, and finished 2nd again by thousandths at the Nationals in a record-breaking 86 car class.

Garfield is currently enrolled as a mechanical engineering student at the University of Kansas, where he is an active member and test driver for Jayhawk Motorsports, the school’s Formula SAE team. He continues to work as a driving instructor and novice coordinator for the Washington DC Region SCCA Solo Committee, and uses his automotive knowledge and experience behind the wheel to write for various publications including Mazda Motorsports and his own blog, www.thestudentdriver.blogspot.com.

“I take advantage of every chance I get behind the wheel to continue improving myself as a driver and an engineer, and I am very grateful for the opportunity to potentially work alongside Mazda through the Mazda Road to 24.”

• Jim Drago likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Mazda Road to 24 Shootout Judges Announced

- Mazda Taps Motorsports Experts to Help Select $100,000 Scholarship Winner -

IRVINE, Calif. (November 10, 2016) – Mazda has confirmed the judges for the 11th annual Mazda Road to 24 Shootout. This post-season shootout will award a $100,000 Mazda Motorsports scholarship to compete in the 2017 Battery Tender Mazda Global MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires. The 2016 Shootout will take place November 15-16, 2016 at the NOLA Motorsports Park, in Avondale, Louisiana.

The judges are as follows:

•    Peter Calhoun – Motorsport Marketing Manager, BFGoodrich Tires.  Among his duties, Calhoun oversees the longtime Mazda/BFG partnership.

•    Andrew Carbonell – Mazda Motorsports' factory driver competing in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge. Carbonell was also one of the lead test drivers in the development of the new MX-5 Cup race car.

•    Robby Foley – A 2015 Mazda Road to 24 Scholarship winner, Foley scored two wins in the 2016 MX-5 Cup.

•    Scott Goodyear – The retired IndyCar race winner and current ESPN/ABC TV IndyCar and Indy 500 on-air analyst also competed as a factory sports car racer for Porsche (Le Mans 24 Hours), Jaguar (Rolex 24 at Daytona) and Audi.

•    Spencer Pigot – The 2015 Indy Lights powered by Mazda champion competed in his first Indy 500 in 2016. Spencer has earned multiple Mazda Road to Indy scholarships, and also joins the factory driver line-up in the Mazda Prototype in the long distance endurance races.

•    Marcus Shen – The engineering director for the Mazda factory IMSA Prototype program.  Shen is a Formula SAE alum from the University of Florida.

John Doonan, director of motorsports, Mazda North American Operations, said, “With the goal of selecting the best overall racer to earn our $100,000 scholarship, we needed to bring together a diverse group of judges. What better place to start in building the judging panels than from within. Factory drivers, multi-time Champions, former scholarship winners, a Prototype program engineer and a five-time IndyCar race winner. They will certainly have a challenging task deciding from among these eight talented finalists.”

Scott Goodyear remarked, "I am thrilled to participate as a judge for the Mazda Road to 24 Shootout. I spent many years driving in the junior open-wheel and sports car Championships before I reached both the IndyCar Series and factory sports car drives at Le Mans, Daytona and more. I understand first-hand what these young drivers are going through, and I'm excited to share my knowledge and experience with the stars of tomorrow as they continue to grow their careers. My son, Michael, is working towards a racing career so I understand how difficult it is in today's market to become a race driver. I applaud Mazda for their continued and unparalleled support of the MRT24 program and their guidance to young drivers, both on and off the track.”

The criteria for the shootout have been created to identify the aspiring professional racer who has the most complete set of skills required to succeed in motorsport. These skills include speed, consistency, race craft, technical understanding, and off-track business and public relations skills.

The 2016 finalists are:

1)    Michael Carter, Savannah, Georgia – At-Large Nominee – SCCA Spec Miata

2)    Matt Cresci, Los Gatos, California – At-Large Nominee – NASA Spec Miata

3)    Julian Garfield, Mount Airy, Maryland – At-Large Nominee – SCCA SOLO

4)    Justin Hille, Ypsilanti, Michigan – SCCA Runoffs Spec Miata Champion

5)    Tyler Kicera, Mount Gretna, Pennsylvania – NASA East Spec Miata Champion

6)    Daniel Langon, Alamo, California – Teen Mazda Challenge Western Region Champion

7)    Matthew Machiko, Wexford, Pennsylvania – SCCA Runoffs Formula Mazda Champion

8)    Pablo Lopez Padin, A Coruña, Spain – iRacing Global Mazda MX-5 Combine Cup Champion

• Jim Drago likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Meet the Contenders: Daniel Langon

Eight of the top grassroots competitors will compete November 15 & 16 at NOLA Motorsports Park for the Mazda Road to 24 scholarship valued at $100,000. Today, we feature Daniel Langon, a Teen Mazda Challenge champion.

Daniel-Langon-Spec-Miata-1024x683.jpg

Daniel Langon, aged 21, is currently a senior at the University of Oregon working on a major in Finance as well as a minor in Spanish, a language that he is also fluent in. On a daily basis he works diligently in order to balance racing and education along with handling his position as the Treasurer of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity at the university.

At the age of 9, Langon began to race go-karts in Sonoma, CA, and was able to power through the karting ranks in his quest to become a professional race car driver. He has won some of the most prestigious karting races around, including the coveted SKUSA Supernationals title in the junior shifter class in 2010, and the streets of Lancaster Grand Prix as a rookie in the pro class in 2011.

In 2015 Langon made his debut in the Teen Mazda Challenge where he was able to quickly adapt to the new driving style, scoring a win in his rookie year late in the season. Taking what he had learned from his first season in a Mazda, he was ready to take control in 2016. This was exactly what Langon would do. Blending consistency and speed, Langon would podium in 9 out of 10 races in a very competitive field on his way winning the championship and title as the 2016 Teen Mazda Challenge champion.

Throughout the 2016 season Langon has enjoyed working closely with his partner Bigge Crane & Rigging coaching at track days, teaching safe driving techniques, and supporting its promotional events such as the 100th year anniversary party last month.

“Having this opportunity to pursue a professional racing career while continuing my education at the university is something that I cannot thank Mazda enough for,” commented Langon. When asked about what he has learned from the experience thus far, he replied, “Racing in the Teen Mazda Challenge this year has not only taught me valuable skills that I can use on and off the track, but also about how to win a championship.” Langon’s on-track experience tethered with his off-track drive is what has earned Daniel Langon a spot in this year’s Mazda Road to 24 Shootout.

• Jim Drago likes this

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

8)    Pablo Lopez Padin, A Coruña, Spain – iRacing Global Mazda MX-5 Combine Cup Champion

My pick for the gc.   Global and I Racing = Easy Winner.  

For 1k I would be willing to show him how to drive NOLA. only C. Haldeman was faster, go figure, hate that guy. (JK  love that guy). 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Meet the Contenders: Matt Machiko

Matt Machiko of Machiko Motorsports Development is one of eight contenders headed to NOLA Motorsports Park to compete for the $100,000 Mazda Road to 24 (MRT24) scholarship next week.  The winner will compete in the 2017 Battery Tender Global Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires, sanctioned by IndyCar.

Matt-Machiko.jpg

From an early age Machiko raced karts near his family’s residence in Pittsburgh, Pa where he captured three championship titles right out of the gate.  Machiko’s second title earned him his first test drive in a Pro Mazda at the age of 16, which jump-started his career in SCCA competition.  Matt went on to shatter a long-standing track record at his driver school before capturing his first divisional championship title.

Between 2009 and 2013 Machiko completed dual degrees in Finance and Economics at Penn State while continuing to garner top results in SCCA sports racing and F2000 competition.  His belief was that in order to deliver a well-rounded, top-quality marketing product, he would have to be talented on the track and have an even more refined business acumen off of the track.

In 2016 with a few years of business experience under his belt and nearly halfway complete with earning his MBA degree at the University of Pittsburgh, Machiko felt ready to make a run at a full-time career as a professional driver. With the talent and drive to succeed providing his horsepower, he has quickly made his presence known in the Formula Mazda category this year.  He managed to win the most challenging award a Club Racer can achieve – the Super Sweep.  He won two Majors Conferences, two key races, the national point standings, and the SCCA National Championship Runoffs in his first attempt.

Due to both his on-track and off-track success, Machiko has earned an opportunity to compete in the MRT24 Shootout next week.

“Through the Mazda Road to 24 and Mazda Road to Indy Driver Development programs, Mazda has proved to racers around the world if you have the full skillset needed to succeed in motorsports, then you can earn your rights to drive in the highest echelons of the sport.  With the majority of my experience in formula cars and prototype cars, I am looking forward to learning new information and improving each session in the Global MX-5 Cup car at the MRT24 Shootout next week at NOLA and hopefully throughout the 2017 season,” commented Machiko.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users