Photo

December 2016 Prelims

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

From the 949 reroute...

Basically it says what has already been said but check out the bottom...

But not much help for the NA though unless you do it yourself.

http://949racing.com...ute-system.aspx

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, repeat info, how about some new info instead of rehashing old news.  :moon:   Oh, reread you old news, the same reroute works for the NA. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, repeat info, how about some new info instead of rehashing old news.  :moon:   Oh, reread you old news, the same reroute works for the NA. :bigsquaregrin:

I was posting the story on the 99 and VVT gaskets (949 story) opinion.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Without all the illegal BS conversations, IMHJ the correct process is to reroute back to the original process via the Dewey process using all Mazda OEM parts and not spending north of $300.00 for an aftermarket system. By the way Johnny there are several reroutes other than the company that sponsors you, 949racing. :rotfl:  Yes, I could machine similar parts to the 949racing parts for way less.

YES, Chris came forward with some fine mentoring support and his deal is competition proven also as is the original water system route.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

949 was only a suggestion/example.  I personally don't like the guy but I don't know him very well.

What's your reroute, I missed that.

You have this problem being up north ?

You run with the heater on ?

You have a good flowing gasket ?

Any benefit to running from Heat out to an inlet at the Rad ?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

949 was only a suggestion/example.  I personally don't like the guy but I don't know him very well.

What's your reroute, I missed that. Johnny, I hate to say it, go back and re reread some posts.

You have this problem being up north ?  We don't always stay up north.

You run with the heater on ? Nope

You have a good flowing gasket ? I have the Mazda gasket unmodified. Didn't really want to experiment, hence the Dewey reroute for minimal dollars.

Any benefit to running from Heat out to an inlet at the Rad ? Yes one could, but why experiment with solution in hand.

J~

UCFBrett

UCFBrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:NASA SoCal
  • Car Number:25

I'm going to try to bring this thread back to the proposed NA8 parity modifications, and ask something I haven't seen asked. 

Did anyone ever consider offering a new restrictor plate with a larger diameter than the 47mm the NA8 currently uses?  Wouldn't that be a simpler solution?

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I'm going to try to bring this thread back to the proposed NA8 parity modifications, and ask something I haven't seen asked. 

Did anyone ever consider offering a new restrictor plate with a larger diameter than the 47mm the NA8 currently uses?  Wouldn't that be a simpler solution?

I was assuming the intake was 50mm but I never checked.

J~

UCFBrett

UCFBrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

I just measured it. It's 57mm.

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

Depending on who you ask and which dyno, dropping the restrictor is worth 3-5 hp, or roughly 2.5-4% rwhp increase. 

47mm Diameter is 1734mm^2

57mm Diameter is 2551 mm^2

So with an increased flow area of 47%!, you only get ~3% hp change. It makes sense to drop it you want any noticeable change, its clearly not the choke point in the system.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

UCFBrett

UCFBrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

47mm Diameter is 1734mm^2

57mm Diameter is 2551 mm^2

So with an increased flow area of 47%!, you only get ~3% hp change. It makes sense to drop it you want any noticeable change, its clearly not the choke point in the system.

I don't understand this part of your post.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

That has been suggested and requested and to me is the most logical adjustment if the goal is to help the car regardless of track configuration. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I don't understand this part of your post.

He is saying that with such a drastic change like removing the plate, there still wasnt a huge Hp increase which is why it made sense removing the plate as it was not the main or only choke point. The crossover tube on the 94/7 is also a bit of a choke point.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Put in another words, lets say you wrote a letter and a bigger restrictor was approved.

Then lets say everyone agreed a 50mm restrictor was a reasonable bump increase. My chair-o-meter gt-power results would guess that you would get a 2.5-4% bump in horsepower with a  50mm restrictor. (Hey wait, this is the same as pulling the restrictor completely). This is the result of a big old honkin inefficient engine that has a very low hp/liter.

So now, SCCA has to approve, manufacture, and distribute a new round of restrictor plates and now you have to run two gaskets. All for what? Wouldn't it be easier to just go out to the garage and pull it off? You would get the same result.

• Ron Alan and Jim Drago like this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

^^^ I get this and good with it...still not a fan of the weight. But I've come around to accepting the change and seeing how it ends up! Mid season weight reduction is fine by me! :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

UCFBrett

UCFBrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

I asked because I hadn't seen it asked, and because restrictor plates are commonly used to alter performance, it seemed like a continuation of a theme, if you will. If there is only nominal difference between a 50mm restrictor and none at all, I'll take none at all. I will add that I think the 50 pounds of additional weight nullifies the benefit of removing the restrictor plate. 

The crossover tube on the 94/7 is also a bit of a choke point.

I'm curious about your findings, Jim. When I had my head done, we tested it on a flow bench. We then tested the same port with three different intakes. We found one that flowed 1 cfm better. Then we tested that intake with the crossover tube on it, which didn't alter flow at all. 

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

It just goes to show how much better the 99 heads are.  38mm versus 57mm and they still make more power :(

I'm in the same boat that the 2% increase in weight depletes the 3% gain in power, however, time will tell soon enough! Personally, I thought the 3% gain in power without a weight change would have matched the nb performance.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Did you want to run 99 heads ??

I would suggest the whole car, but...

J~

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

No cans of worms needed, the direction forward is on the right path. After some results come in, reevaluate! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users