av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:121

replace all of the bolts doing light duty with aluminum and the important ones with titanium.  For $10k you could loose 10#s easy.

http://fsaeparts.com...ant=14093197319

• Alberto, Jim Drago and MotoFusi like this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Could you remove a lot of your dash ?

Follow me here...

You have to make cut outs for the roll cage. Is there anything defining this ?

So if your really bad at cut outs (oops) Cut a couple feet off each end, well...

Downside is as soon as they write a rule, you need a new dash, but hey, good for a while.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98

I recently replaced my fuel tank.

New tank has no undercoating probably weighs 10# less than original.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Could you remove a lot of your dash ?

Follow me here...

You have to make cut outs for the roll cage. Is there anything defining this ?

So if your really bad at cut outs (oops) Cut a couple feet off each end, well...

Downside is as soon as they write a rule, you need a new dash, but hey, good for a while.

J~

Johnny, what do you suppose new folks reviewing this site trying to get a handle on this class thoughts are when reading posts like this yours. Not trying to be negative, just within reality of the rules.

When I suggest something really on the dark side of the rules or outside the rules I normally use the word illegal or some such note. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Johnny, what do you suppose new folks reviewing this site trying to get a handle on this class thoughts are when reading posts like this yours. Not trying to be negative, just within reality of the rules.

When I suggest something really on the dark side of the rules or outside the rules I normally use the word illegal or some such note. 

So is this illegal ??

I'm trying to tell others...

Read and understand the rules completely, factor/maximize in tolerances, etc. and there implications. All the front are using/maximizing them, you should learn them too.

There's always IIDSYCDIYC first and for most, but look closely at other things that could work towards your advantage.

Anything that matters is going to be caught, discussed, and a rule change sooner or later, just a matter of when.

Part of the sport.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

I'm with you on the dashboard.  Going to remove it over the winter and see what junk is hiding back there.  I removed the glove box recently.  Still need to weigh it but I expect 2 lbs.

I also started drilling speed holes in the inner trunk lid.  Beer infused boredom one evening...

I also found about 100 lbs of tire worms under the headlights and in the corners of the inner fenders.

My battery weighs 28 lbs so I can lose 10 lbs by switching to a Braille.  However, not sure I want to lose weight from that corner since that corner is light to begin with.  

I looked at my log book this weekend and it seems like the cage tubing is .12.  

I also found the setup sheet from when I first finished the car in early 2011.  It weighed 2,302 with a simulated driver weight of 185.  However, I don't remember how much fuel and 185 doesn't include helmet, HNR and suit so add another 10 or so lbs to make it 2,312.  Add another 10 or so pounds for the weight I've gained since 2011 and that's 2,322 which is about 20 off the region's scales.

I plan on re-doing the setup / corner balance and alignment on the car soon so we'll see what the weight is on my scales.  

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Remember the only scales that count are the ones at the track on that day. YMMV.

J~

• Alberto likes this

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

So is this illegal ??

I'm trying to tell others...

Read and understand the rules completely, factor/maximize in tolerances, etc. and there implications. All the front are using/maximizing them, you should learn them too.

There's always IIDSYCDIYC first and for most, but look closely at other things that could work towards your advantage.

Anything that matters is going to be caught, discussed, and a rule change sooner or later, just a matter of when.

Part of the sport.

J~

Johnny, I would tend to agree with Dewey on this. You stepped slightly over the morallity line. Next time use quotes or an emoji to show that you are speaking tongue in check. Remember, you are a moderator with over 4500 posts. You are by default considered an expert.

Trimming the dash for cage installation is legal, how much clearance is not stated. Is an inch legal? is 2 inches? is 2 feet legal? We all know when to stop.

True story: When I was competition director for Midwestern Council, I had a solo guy call me with a request for fiberglass fenders. His reasoning; I can use any brake pads I want, but the pads I want don't fit the calipers on the car, so I want big giant calipers, that don't work with stock rotors. SO I also need new rotors, which require larger wheels and tires. That don't fit under my fenders, so I need fender flares that are not allowed, so I want fiberglass fenders which have more tire clearance. All this from open brake pads. Admitedly a HUGE exagerization, but that shows how tortured a rule can get with enough (too much) thought. And yes, it really is a true story

Dave

• Johnny D, Ron Alan and Alberto like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

When I first started.. People used two in thick steel landing plates on RR to get weight on the cars.  Ruled tortured interpretation..

At some point our own Saul Speeedwell had a very interesting tow hook. He can share that :)

As a tech inspector, a dash that was extremly sloppy or lacking of matieral, I would fail as a tortured interpretation. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

That's a rule ?  (Tortured interpretation)

good to know.

Morals and "I want to win" don't really see eye to eye.

J~

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Pretty amusing stories :)

I'm hoping I'll get some podiums and wins in SSM in 2017.  Assuming I don't start a new job where my time and attention are diverted, I'm hoping to invest more time and maybe a little more budget racing.  I'll do it legally, w/o tortured interpretations, on my own budget and with a clear, moral conscience.  I don't have much of an ego.  Plenty of attitude though. :)

It's not a win my book if I have to cheat or make a tortured interpretation to gain an advantage.

• Bench Racer likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

On my Spec7 I used climbers loops for tow hooks.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Pretty amusing stories :)

It's not a win my book if I have to cheat or make a tortured interpretation to gain an advantage.

And those "speed holes" you drilled in the lid are all good, OK in the book, morally fine, etc, etc. :)

No worries.

J~

• Alberto likes this

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Morals and "I want to win" don't really see eye to eye.

J~

SOOOOO TRUE

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I also started drilling speed holes in the inner trunk lid.  Beer infused boredom one evening...

I'll do it legally, w/o tortured interpretations, on my own budget and with a clear, moral conscience.  I don't have much of an ego.  Plenty of attitude though. :)

When one's moral conscience is altered with beer, it still don't make them holes in the trunk bracing legal. :rotfl:

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Why not?  I can cut everything out of the door except the reinforcement bar.

:toast:  :guinness:

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Did the Speed drilling hole kit come with stickers to cover the holes ??

J~

• av8tor likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Johnny logic ^

• Alberto likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Only if your roll cage goes up into lid you can cut for clearance. :)

J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users