Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Drivers side you have 3 choices: stock, nothing or plastic with vent

Passenger side you have only 2 choices, stock or plastic with vent.

Note that nowhere does it say how big or what shape the vent needs to be.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

Update

1. I think I'm done gutting the doors.  They are still sturdy / not flimsy.  The top section is down to just the final inner layer with some 2" holes cut into it.  I was afraid to cut further as I didn't want the door flopping around but I might cut a couple more 2" holes in them.

This was my first time using an angle grinder and hole saw.  This task made a huge, dusty mess of the car and my garage.  The sparks and flying hot pieces were fun.  Glad I was wearing a breathing mask and glasses

32717415106_11559c69ba_z.jpg

2. I ordered some tow straps to replace the steel tow hooks that are currently on the car.  

3. Removed the glove 'box', steel ecu cover and a bunch of other odds and ends on the interior but there wasn't a lot of things to remove to save weight.

The heavy metal pieces of the dash bar had already been trimmed out by the cage builder and there really wasn't anything under the dash to remove to save weight so that was largely a fruitless exercise.  I need to weigh all this junk and see where I net out.  I'm nowhere near the 50lbs that I'd like to remove.  Still working on losing personal ballast.  That is taking longer...

Still to do:
- remove emergency brake
- probably buy a lexan corner window for the pax side.  The stock glass corner window is a little over 1 lb.
- route some cable so I can open the doors from the inside
- brush on some paint to protect the bare metal edges
- wash this nasty, smelly dust off the car

Sir, those holes that you cut with the hole saw are not legal - any other opinions?  Carpets, center consoles, cargo bins, seat belts, floor mat, firewall

insulation/blanket, sound deadener patches, undercoating,
radio system, headliners, dome lights, grab handles, sun visors
and their insulating and attaching materials may be removed.
Other than to provide for the installation of required safety
equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/
passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted.

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

you may not be able to remove the corner window in favor of Lexan.  The way I understand the rules (IMO) you can remove completely for safety reasons, ie you are too big to get out the passenger window without it being removed but you can't arbitrarily replace with a lighter product.  Anyone that calls anyone out on that piece of glass (pog) is a POS.  (IMO). 

Or maybe they are just someone interested in preventing rule creep!  Go ahead and label me the Piece of Shit, cause if it isn't legal, it isn't legal period.  Don't worry, I will finish ahead of you in my 100% legal car before I protest you for it.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Or maybe they are just someone interested in preventing rule creep!  Go ahead and label me the Piece of Shit, cause if it isn't legal, it isn't legal period.  Don't worry, I will finish ahead of you in my 100% legal car before I protest you for it.

Protest me and I will win.  It is a safety hazard and I can't get out without it removed.  It is not rules creep it is common sense and that is how things are done in racing.  Find things that can be done within the rules and be prepared to defend them with the rule book.  And if you are going to be one of those guys.  You better have every single nut on that car that belongs there or you are in an illegal car.  And i can promise you right here and now you are driving an illegal car.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Protest me and I will win.  It is a safety hazard and I can't get out without it removed.  It is not rules creep it is common sense and that is how things are done in racing.  Find things that can be done within the rules and be prepared to defend them with the rule book.  And if you are going to be one of those guys.  You better have every single nut on that car that belongs there or you are in an illegal car.  And i can promise you right here and now you are driving an illegal car.  

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

See you at COTA I hope.

Love and kisses

Kevin Farrell

• Danica Davison likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

In Theory, don't you need NASCAR bars to do that ? (I can't see or remember if he does)

But I agree more along the lines with MRP22, depends on Regional/Major/Super tour and where you placed too.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Ducting may be added to provide fresh air to the driver
compartment. This ducting shall be located in the driver and/
or passenger vent window area by means of a transparent/
alternate vent window material and duct with no modifications
to the bodywork.
To improve driver exit through the window area, the driver vent
window and vent window supporting frame may be removed
as an assembly. If removed, ducting may be in the passenger
side vent window only.

It's not a complicated rule.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

In Theory, don't you need NASCAR bars to do that ? (I can't see or remember if he does)

But I agree more along the lines with MRP22, depends on Regional/Major/Super tour and where you placed too.

J~

Yes he needs the nascar bars but it doesnt say how much you can or cant remove to accomplish the fitment of your bars.  Av8tor is probably right about the holes but he could just cut that piece off. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

to the bodywork.
side vent window only.

to the bodywork.
side vent window only.

The reason the rule was written was to give explicit permission to remove the driver side window.  Many a competitor was using the safety loophole and the scca decided to explicitly write the rule so all would be aware of what was legal.   So why in the world wouldn't it apply to both egress points in the car.  Some rules are written clearly and some are not.  If you dont' like it write the scca and make them explicitly disallow the removal. 

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

See you at COTA I hope.

Love and kisses

Kevin Farrell

Probably not going to be there, but if I am there feel free to come say hello. 

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67

So why in the world wouldn't it apply to both egress points in the car.

Because you don't have a containment seat blocking half the window on the passenger side.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Because you don't have a containment seat blocking half the window on the passenger side.

If a driver can't egress with the little window in there is no way SCCA will mandate it stay. Safety items take presidency over 4 oz plexiglass vents.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

On the plastic vent window, if we know the rules, we don't have any POS, riiight Michael. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Ok, you two. If you can not play nice, I am going to pull over and........

MPR, you are wrong this time. The rule specificly says  "the driver vent window and vent window supporting frame may be removed" 

Removal of the passenger side is non-compliant. Smart, safe, logical are all valid arguements. But as of today not legal.

The car pictured has door nascar style door bars. So fully gutting is legal. The holes would be a big MAYBE. Since the holes are not needed to clear safety equipment, I would stand a good chance of saying they are non-compliant. Yet, removing the entire panel that the holes are in would be legal. Nobody said our rules are logical!!!!!!!!!!!!

• av8tor likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

The car pictured has door nascar style door bars. So fully gutting is legal.  Since the holes are not needed to clear safety equipment, I would stand a good chance of saying they are non-compliant. Yet, removing the entire panel that the holes are in would be legal. Nobody said our rules are logical!!!!!!!!!!!!

I removed the maybe.. I agree with the rest  especially the logical part :) 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Wow, never expected that shedding weight and gutting doors could be so fraught with legalities.  Everything I've done to date, I have observed on other cars in the pits over the last 6 years.  

I'm going to step away from the angle grinder and hole saw now...

All this makes me wonder what Saul's infamous tow hook looked like :)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

9.3.52. WINDOWS Windows shall be clear or uncolored, except in Production, Super Touring and Touring if no factory or after market clear windows are available. Officials may require the replacement of windshields that are considered a safety hazard. All closed cars shall run with both front door windows fully open

Dave, 

I win on appeal.  See the GCR is full of conflicting information.  Where is front door window defined.   I say it is the roll down window and the weird little vent window that doesn't vent. 

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

But I can't roll mine down because I have NASCAR bars, both side, so there's a allowance to remove the windows. Correct?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

But I can't roll mine down because I have NASCAR bars, both side, so there's a allowance to remove the windows. Correct?

J~

Correct.  We are just arguing about the little triangle window also known as the "alternate front widow" according to MPR. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users