• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

How much of this settling is related to the tire taking a set (flat spotting)?

Whenever I leave the car setting for an extended period or overnight, it is with the car rolled off the scales.  That way when the car is rolled back on the scales it is not rolling onto a flat spot caused by sitting in the same spot on the scales.  While I frequently roll the car back off the scales to "bounce it after adjustments, I swear by the use of thin greased slip plates under all four wheels and credit their use for the biggest gain in obtaining consistent/repeatable results.

I also set the tire pressures to off-track target pressures to simulate the dynamic tire cross section however I have not been able to detect any measurable cross weight affect from doing this.   

Rich Powers

I don't think the tire flatspotting matters much, but nothing wrong with eliminating it as a variable.  For those that insist on measuring the pinch welds, then tire stagger, "coning", and changes in tire types (Hoosier, Toyo, etc.) will all affect the "ride height" measurement.

The biggest effect I saw on the NB due to "settling" was a big difference in camber, but more worrying - a big difference in front toe due to the hideous bumpsteer.  I noticed this overnight, as I would sometimes quit for the night, come back out in the morning and see how much higher my camber #s were.

The NB was always less repeatable on the scales, because MazdaSpeed/AWR left zero compliance in the original '99 SM shock hat setup (I'm not talking about the OEM shock hat setup) - the only "compliance" was the flexing of the body sheet metal and the "bending" (cocking, really) of the shock absorber shaft with respect to its housing - thus turning the shock absorber into a "leaf spring" (except a telescoping leaf spring with a sloppy set of seals in the middle of it).  And people wondered why the shocks turned to junk in hours.  Or minutes.

In other words, when you took out a lower shock bolt on an NB SM while it was sitting at ride height, the shock absorber would snap outward (or inward, I can't remember) because it was being "bent" due to the lack of compliance/articulation at the shock hat joint.  This was SOMEWHAT mitigated by the FatCat hats, depending on how apeshit you go on squishing the rubber isolators, or whether you are running the FatCat supplied material to begin with (ahem).

Note:  If you try this shock bolt removal experiment at home, you need to support the car at "ride height" on the corner you take the lower shock bolt out on. 

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

To me, this is the most important line in the entire thread:

" In any case, if you set your car up using the same rig every time, then it shouldn't matter - over time you will learn what works and you will converge to the best setup for your setup tools and processes."

Dave

• mellen, Justin Casey and av8tor like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bi11

Bi11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Florida

I do both, but the most accurate gauge i use,  is my finger.  after having done a ton of alignments, i can look at a car to tell if its high or low to start with.  I do use the pinch welds as i know what number i am looking for on my car but every car can be a little different.

measuring the distance between the the top of the shock and the bottom of the bump stop is the most informative.

Do you want me to post a picture of my finger?

Please post a picture of your little finger

• FTodaro likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Please post a picture of your little finger

Drago told me I am not allowed to post any pictures of my body parts, no matter how big they are.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Drago told me I am not allowed to post any pictures of my body parts, no matter how big they are.

THANK YOU, Mr Drago

• lillyweld likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

lillyweld, please turn on your selective reading capability. Now you can't read this post. At a regular breakfast joint this morning as the bread sales/delivery guy came through the front door, he questioned who owned the green station wagon with the white dog and the brown dog, their dogging he said. The friken place broke up in laughter, one of the two guys handed the nickname of grumpy old men (guys who own the dogs) says, after their finished their not nearly as aggressive. It's the first time ever, I walked out of that restaurant, walked by the car and those two aggressive howling bad assed dogs behaved themselves, no barking and growling through the partially open windows. The windows sure were all glazed over. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

This thread is sure going to the dogs.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I am re-doing my corner balance after replacing both subframes and a bunch of other parts.  I'm still on Bilsteins for now.  Does this look about right for spacing between the top of the shock and the bump stop?  That's a 3/8' drive extension.  That is rear driver side shock.

Thanks!

50061372698_31120958db.jpgUntitled by alberto_mg, on Flickr

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users