Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

The crew is doing there part too, to be safe, right ? Like parking the vehicle(s) in front of the oncoming traffic protecting the crew.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
VIR mandates a code 35 (look it up) during fcy. For all the driver's meeting bitching when first implemented, the code 35 rule works.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

It's a good idea to strengthen rules that protect worker safety.  It is awfully vague and subjective though as written.  Nobody wants to put workers at risk or be penalized or slow down more than competitors in front or behind. 

To me it would be a little less subjective if for a stationary yellow the rule included language such as: Drivers shall proceed through the caution area with the car under control (not sliding) and maintain all 4 wheels of the car on the racing surface.  For a waving yellow something similar but add that drivers must keep the car XX feet from disabled vehicles or safety vehicles. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

One size does not fit all.  The differential between the slowest and fastest cornering speeds and how little speed drop it takes certain classes to be in control makes it impractical to try to implement a fixed speed.  

Certain cars need to maintain a minimum speed for effective cooling.  Even behind a pace car, there are problems for some classes.  Putting everyone behind a pace car is no guarantee as has been proven with enough examples to make even this problematic.

The burden is really on the drivers.  Failing that, it becomes the responsibility of the officials to penalize accordingly.  As written, the current GCR provides ample flexibility for stewards to do so if directed by leadership of the program.  Look at the most recent penalty guidelines.  Are they stringent enough?

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

It's a good idea to strengthen rules that protect worker safety.  It is awfully vague and subjective though as written.  Nobody wants to put workers at risk or be penalized or slow down more than competitors in front or behind. 

To me it would be a little less subjective if for a stationary yellow the rule included language such as: Drivers shall proceed through the caution area with the car under control (not sliding) and maintain all 4 wheels of the car on the racing surface.  For a waving yellow something similar but add that drivers must keep the car XX feet from disabled vehicles or safety vehicles. 

That doesn't work well if there's any sort of surface condition.

Officials can't be trusted with the power to decide who slows down "enough".  They can barely figure out fault as it is, let alone any biases.

Workers are responsible for their own safety.  If they don't like the look of the situation, don't get out of the truck.  Call for FCC.

I can't say I've ever been happy to see a "heroic" tow.

• Johnny D and Justin Casey like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Is this a subject that will be discussed/training at the convention ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98

I've witnessed the Code 35, personally its confusing and as a racer can't properly be controlled.

just talked to those at the recent 13hour race.......

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Reaction Time:

Change the rule putting the yellow flag burden on the race group lead car. Don't slow down enough to meet situation issue, corner call in and race group lead driver gets black flag.

Need to start someplace because yellow flags as of today do not slow cars down. Nor will the new subjective yellow flag rules slow anyone down.  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I ran the ECR in October at VIR that had two code 35 cautions with no issues/confusion.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

A newbie driver may be on the verge of uncontrolability at 40 mph. While a national champion may be totally in control at 60mph. The rule that is written must also take into account rain conditions. Voytek or Danny in the rain, look vastly different than myself or most of you.

This pulled from the Midwestern Council rule book:

YELLOW:
Stationary – Take care, Danger, NO PASSING from the flag station until past the incident and in sight of the next manned clear flag station. Car must be under control. 
Waved – Take Great Care, Great Danger, BE PREPARED TO STOP, NO PASSING, from the flag station until past the incident and in sight of the next manned clear flag station. Car must be under control.

Note that no where in the above rule does it say slow down. Drasticly slowing can be as dangerous as not slowing at all.

What is not written is a description of "under control" means. This leaves room for interpitation by the corner workers, rescue personel etc. My opinion of under control would be: On the racing surface, not the curbs or grass, at least 10 feet from any vehicle (race car or safety vehicle), no sliding, no brake lockup. Absolutely no contact of any kind.

Also note the difference in where the yellow flag ends. There may be separate incedent farther down the road that from the drivers seat you are not aware of. The yellow flag should continue untill you can see a clear/green flag station and are past any portion of the incedent.

Just my 2 cents
Dave

• Dave Cox and sentercut like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Reaction Time:

Change the rule putting the yellow flag burden on the race group lead car. Don't slow down enough to meet situation issue, corner call in and race group lead driver gets black flag.

Need to start someplace because yellow flags as of today do not slow cars down. Nor will the new subjective yellow flag rules slow anyone down.  

Not much different than a full course caution if you only penalize the leader.  That will collect the field.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Not much different than a full course caution if you only penalize the leader.  That will collect the field.

Daw, think outside the box a bit. Maybe you can do an add on that I'm not smart enough to figure out. Discussing this yellow flag rule is brain storming/blue skying, correct. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Daw, think outside the box a bit. Maybe you can do an add on that I'm not smart enough to figure out. Discussing this yellow flag rule is brain storming/blue skying, correct. :bigsquaregrin:

Honestly the fairest and safest thing would be to treat it like oval track and go full course caution every time.

But I like what we have right now just fine, and am content to let the workers figure out how to stop getting hurt.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Maybe this is a region by region deal...but I dont think I've seen our local SCCA ever do a hot tow(hence..worker on track...double yellow).

NASA...all the time and there have been issues with speed/safety in the incident zone. And some have found out the hard way leaving your faith in the hands of NASA officials(by pushing the limit) isnt always the best choice!

Because as Jim stated...no one wants to slow down for fear of losing ground or being caught...how about this? Extend the no pass zone another corner? This way no one could use the yellow zone to gain an advantage by basically speeding faster than the car in front of them and making a pass as they clear the incident. This would encourage the lead car to "set the pace" without fear of being taken advantage of by over slowing?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:08

I ran the ECR in October at VIR that had two code 35 cautions with no issues/confusion.

At the 13 hour enduro a few weeks later, a car rear-ended another car exiting turn 10 during a code 35. First car saw the code and slowed down, 2nd car missed it and rear-ended them.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
2nd car driven by wanker. Other sports beckon.
  • mhiggins10 likes this

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

2nd car driven by wanker. Other sports beckon.

I have been wheel to wheel with other drivers and completely missed a flag focussing on not hitting the guy next to me. Whether it is Yellow, or Code 35, it can happen

• Rob Burgoon likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

I have been wheel to wheel with other drivers and completely missed a flag focussing on not hitting the guy next to me. Whether it is Yellow, or Code 35, it can happen

Exactly. Seems like the current flagging system could be augmented with a (mandatory?) in-car alert/signal light that would be triggered in all cars by race officials. Bad idea?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Anyone who is honest will admit they have missed a flag, during the heat of battle.

Especially a black flag. Once at VIR the flag station at the top of the hill is so far off the track you have turn your head an look for it. When I used to run PCA DE's we would intentionally throw a Red flag. I would warn them I might do just about anything to keep them on their toes. Also hard to see any flag in the rain.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

The cost of implementation at the Club Racing level is prohibitive.  Not just for competitors but race organizers will have to pass their costs on in increased entry fees.

Exactly. Seems like the current flagging system could be augmented with a (mandatory?) in-car alert/signal light that would be triggered in all cars by race officials. Bad idea?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users