david

david

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:southeast
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66
I am building my first Miata for the track. I used a mechanical gauges for oil pressure and an electric for water temperature on my last race car. Does anyone have suggestion for Miatas?

BTW, car is a '94/1.8 Assuming 2-5/8" diam. gauges will fit in the vent holes on the center dash?

Thanks in advance,
djdport

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I am building my first Miata for the track. I used a mechanical gauges for oil pressure and an electric for water temperature on my last race car. Does anyone have suggestion for Miatas?

You will prob need to swap those for an NA car.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

BrianZ

BrianZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
electric gauges and if i am not mistaken the gauge size is 2 1/8 for the vents

Dudley

Dudley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:01
have you considered data aquistion system. will have all your gauges and the ability to review all your data after a track session. also will have warnings you can program in for oil pressure and water temp.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
A mechanical oil pressure guage requires an oil line be run into the cockpit. I have seen these leak, BIIIIIGGGGGGG mess inside the car and hot oil on drivers feet. I recomend electric guage. The hole in the block is BSPT, British standard pipe thread. The supplied adapters will not work properly. I do sell an oil relocation kit that has the proper fittings and works great for aftermarket guages.

For water temp, either mechanical or electric will work. For mechanical you must put the sender in the upper radiator hose. Putting it in the heater hose will restrict coolant flow to the back of the head. Electric guage senders can be installed in either the radiator or heater hoses. Again, I sell an inline adapter for both types of guages

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

A mechanical oil pressure guage requires an oil line be run into the cockpit. I have seen these leak, BIIIIIGGGGGGG mess inside the car and hot oil on drivers feet. I recomend electric guage. The hole in the block is BSPT, British standard pipe thread. The supplied adapters will not work properly. I do sell an oil relocation kit that has the proper fittings and works great for aftermarket guages.

For water temp, either mechanical or electric will work. For mechanical you must put the sender in the upper radiator hose. Putting it in the heater hose will restrict coolant flow to the back of the head. Electric guage senders can be installed in either the radiator or heater hoses. Again, I sell an inline adapter for both types of guages

Dave

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the mechanical and electrical senders that causes the mechanical gauge senders to restrict flow? I guess I normally use electric gauges so I cannot picture how they would be different.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
Do you want hot fluids in the cockpit with you? If not then go electrical. You can also tap for water temp on the back of the head. There's an allen plug just below the water neck housing (or maybe it's part of the housing) facing the driver's side. It's the hottest spot for coolant on the engine so your readings will be higher than those taken from the radiator hose.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51

BTW, car is a '94/1.8 Assuming 2-5/8" diam. gauges will fit in the vent holes on the center dash?

Thanks in advance,
djdport

I considered placing the gauges in the vent holes. Decided against it since it required me to divert my eyes away from looking forward a little too much. Instead mounted a gauge bracket on top of the dash next to the factory instrument cluster. It requires me to divert my eyes very little. Plus, at some point you may want a center net. If your cage has a reinforcing bar behind the dash that's a good place to attach the forward end of the net. Having an unused eyeball vent is a good means of access.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
Mechanical senders use a much larger sender. Requires a 1/2" NPT thread as opposed to the 1/8npt of a electric sender.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Number:27
My electric gauges (digital, Autometer) are 2-1/8, in the vents with a plastic spacer ring.

I have a halo seat and don't need a center net.

Dennis
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

david

david

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Dave

Thanks Dave, I just placed an order for the sender to be installed in heater hose!

David D.

david

david

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

I considered placing the gauges in the vent holes. Decided against it since it required me to divert my eyes away from looking forward a little too much. Instead mounted a gauge bracket on top of the dash next to the factory instrument cluster. It requires me to divert my eyes very little. Plus, at some point you may want a center net. If your cage has a reinforcing bar behind the dash that's a good place to attach the forward end of the net. Having an unused eyeball vent is a good means of access.

Bingo, You're spot on here...after pondering the vent holes for the gauges, I just don't like the amount of time required to glance over and take in the data. Even on a straight where you have a few seconds, I don't like to take my eyes away from the track.

Thanks,
David

david

david

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

electric gauges and if i am not mistaken the gauge size is 2 1/8 for the vents

Thanks Brian,