jmchin

jmchin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:83
With the updated rules stating that we can use a centering ring for the rear sway bar. Is it worth the effort to use something to keep the bar from shifting?

If so what has everyone used to keep it from moving?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Yes. it's worth keeping the sway bars from binding. Because I had the sway bars without the side load ring welded on I used a teflon flat washer on the inside of each side with small hose clamp.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Yes. it's worth keeping the sway bars from binding. Because I had the sway bars without the side load ring welded on I used a teflon flat washer on the inside of each side with small hose clamp.

Dave, could you post a photo of this... As usual I be lost
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
John, have never posted a picture.

See below:

The center line of the sway bar ----- travels horizontally through X,W,H's. (Bushings, washers, hose clamps.) The welded on side load ring would have been located where the "W"washer/"H"hose clamp is if that style of bar had been purchased.

The "X" would be the sway bar red bushing on each side of car.

The "W" would be the teflon flat washer on each side of car. I might have cut a flat on one side of the washer where it fits near the chassis.

The "H" would be the hose clamp on each side of the car.

Looking at the sway bar from the rear

XWH---------------------HWX

After install you can not push the sway bar end to end sideways. :D

Oh $hit EDIT:

Lay the flat washer flat & slit one side on a diagonal with a razor blade. Slit washer is required so the washer will force fit over the round sway bar. First I tried a split collar but it was to large to fit. It hit the chassis.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

John, have never posted a picture.

See below:

The center line of the sway bar ----- travels horizontally through X,W,H's. (Bushings, washers, hose clamps.) The welded on side load ring would have been located where the "W"washer/"H"hose clamp is if that style of bar had been purchased.

The "X" would be the sway bar red bushing on each side of car.

The "W" would be the teflon flat washer on each side of car. I might have cut a flat on one side of the washer where it fits near the chassis.

The "H" would be the hose clamp on each side of the car.

Looking at the sway bar from the rear

XWH---------------------HWX

After install you can not push the sway bar end to end sideways. :D

Ahhhhh - I get it. Neat. Thanks!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:45
I did essentially the same thing, but cut a bit of extra radiator hose to wrap around the bar about 80% of the way, about 1/2 or so inch wide, then put a hose clamp around it.
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Des Moines Valley
  • Car Year:1994
Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for "shaft collar".

-Chris

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:34
I like the idea of McMaster Carr. What dimensions for shaft collars: 1) Diameter of sway bar, and 2) overall diameter of collar so it doesn't rub on chassis? If you can point me to a specific part to order, that would be great.

Thanks!
-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
I also bought collars from an Ace hardware. To big in diameter. Required maching. Used Teflon washers with small hose clamp.

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92
For a 1.6 car, the bar diameter is 15mm, you will have to grind the outer diameter for clearance.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

DionJ

DionJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:68
If I put a spacer under the mounts to move the bar back enough for a collar to fit am I breaking the rules? turning the collar down you'd have to grind the heads of the bolts too, and the hose clamp is funky...
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

If I put a spacer under the mounts to move the bar back enough for a collar to fit am I breaking the rules? and the hose clamp is funky...

Washers under the mounts are free. Spacers under the mounts would not be free, they would be funky & illegal. :o

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

Washers under the mounts are free. Spacers under the mounts would not be free, they would be funky & illegal. :o

how is a washer considered different than a spacer? they both do the same thing?
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

how is a washer considered different than a spacer? they both do the same thing?

Naw, not really.

That would be sort of like saying $4.00 per gallon gas & $40.00 per gallon are equal. :wacko:

Or more simply put there is a rule in the GCR Spec Miata that says washers are free. There is no rule about spacers.

This is a class of rules where within the GCR there is a statement that says "If it don't say you can, you can't" :excl:

Richard Pressman

Richard Pressman

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:87

That would be sort of like saying $4.00 per gallon gas & $40.00 per gallon are equal.

Naw, not really.

The GCR also states that no legal part may also perform an illegal function. At least in the cars I've seen with stock sway bars there has been no washer between the bracket and the frame. I'm pretty sure the spec suspension kit doesn't contain one (or four).

Sorry, adding a washer under a bracket which didn't have one originally to raise that bracket and change its position IS using the washer as a spacer. The result is that you are changing the mounting position -pickup points- of the sway bar. And I believe that is specifically dis-allowed in the GCR.

Just because it says washers are free doesn't mean you can go put them anywhere. It means you can take a stock Mazda supplied washer and substitute a Home Depot grade 8/McMaster-Carr titainium/Ace Hardware galvanized, etc.

JMO
YMMV

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Naw, not really.

Sorry, adding a washer under a bracket which didn't have one originally to raise that bracket and change its position IS using the washer as a spacer. The result is that you are changing the mounting position -pickup points- of the sway bar. And I believe that is specifically dis-allowed in the GCR.

I will suggest that if the sway bars were part of tech some bushings have been modified & or some will have washers behind the sway bar mount to free up the rotation of the sway bar. If they were part of tech a bunch of racers would get DQ'ed.

IMHJ ;)
David

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Just because it says washers are free doesn't mean you can go put them anywhere. It means you can take a stock Mazda supplied washer and substitute a Home Depot grade 8/McMaster-Carr titainium/Ace Hardware galvanized, etc.

Yep, that's exactly what that means. Us Johnny-come-latelies don't need to fret. The new rear bars have the rigs built in. If they didn't I like the ground collar idea. Hose clamps and tubing seem a bit Whisky Tango to me.

Dave

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
Whisky tango... ha... nice!

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users