Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

I agree with this. There is a reason why most of these race car drivers at a pro level are in such good shape.  At the very least, it doesn't hurt to be in shape.  I am excited to try it out again this week at Daytona ... going to watch the heart rate rise in the bus stop ... and go back down to resting heart rate on the banking will I drink my tea :)

I agree too, but the other big reason for fitness at the pro level is that you're probably driving a lighter car with a bunch of downforce and full-on race tires, which translates to much higher G-forces you have to cope with every turn every lap - weight is the enemy for that.  The above doesn't apply to NASCAR but the length of the stints in a 500 mile race has the same effect IMHO.  A.J. Foyt always carried more weight than the rest, but he was/is built like a tank.  No team owner is going to have any sympathy for a paid driver who can't show up in adequate shape to be at 100% for the entire stint.  As the saying goes, "you had one job..."

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users