Photo

Need advice regarding buying replacement engine.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Don't need one YET, but have a line on a pro built Race Engineering motor. Installed....went to the dyno (122+)...removed and set aside for new build which never materialized. Donor car sold and here sits this motor for sale.
I know it's a bit of a crap shoot, but is there anything I could check or do, which might give me some peace of mind, that this thing will start up and run as it should when I install it. Sure could use a little confidence. Price is very good with a
motivated seller.

Thanks.....

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Do any of the shops in your area have a Miata engine break in stand? It's basically a sled upon which the engine is installed that has a cooling and electrical system. Short of installing it that's about the only way you can see/hear it run unless someone around has an engine dyno. Short of that or opening it up and having a look the reputation of the seller is the biggest factor. If you know the guy and he's trustworthy or you know someone that will vouch for him go for it.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Don't need one YET, but have a line on a pro built Race Engineering motor. Installed....went to the dyno (122+)...removed and set aside for new build which never materialized. Donor car sold and here sits this motor for sale.
I know it's a bit of a crap shoot, but is there anything I could check or do, which might give me some peace of mind, that this thing will start up and run as it should when I install it. Sure could use a little confidence. Price is very good with a
motivated seller.

Thanks.....

Call Bob at RE and MAKE SURE it is an RE. He can substanciat the pedagree of the motor. I the motor complete or a long block? Was it fogged or prepared for storage?

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users