• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Does tech still test fuel? Did they ever?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

Michael
This is very accurate! I don't like talking smack before big events. Always prefer to just try and show up prepared and see what happens.
The rest of your post accurate as well.. My car is being completely repainted as we speak.. New trans, calipers and rotors will be going on. The head will be coming off and new valves and springs installed. Hoping to buy only 4 sets of Hoosiers and one set of wets, but i am sure I will probably add to that at the track.

Psssssssh....you just don't talk smack on HERE! But you talk smack ... ;)

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

well true :)
  • Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

True, he refers to it as "busting your balls" and goes from camp to camp sharing his special insight into why you suck this weekend.
  • Jim Drago, Danica Davison and sentercut like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Any idea why the Indy test day sessions are limited to 50 entrants?

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Any idea why the Indy test day sessions are limited to 50 entrants?

They structure the test days by giving more track time earlier in the week ... and thus charging more for the days with more track time.  So they limit the number of entries, yet charge at a premium so you are getting more track time and more room on the track to test. So I think it works out like 40-50-50-60 per session from Thursday thru Sunday.  I get why they do it for the Thursday-Saturday ... but I am not sure why they limit it to 60 instead of 72 on Sunday ...

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Number:145

Does tech still test fuel? Did they ever?

Pretty regularly in the HST events that I have attended. It looks like we will be required to run the 93 Octane that is provided at the track according to the Supps. It doesn't say what it will cost but I hope it will not be a $9/gallon gouging.
Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

I just posted this on the prod car website. It was a question about 112 fuel but applies to SM also. Someone said they had their fuel from before the Runoffs tested and it was OK. Runoffs fuel does have a marker. I'm not sure how John B will pick whose fuel he'll want tested. I just leave it up to the fuel test crew. Plus, I doubt all of you will visit tech for post qualifying but I do know there are some random positions picked prior to qualifying so everyone has a chance to be there.

"Unless you want to gamble on losing a qualifying time, either drain your cell or have your fuel tested. The 112 does come in barrels and it's possible you had marker fuel before the event. The tech inspector who checks fuels says 112 varies quite a bit and some times what is sold as Sunoco is not. It also gets contaminated. The fuel used at the Runoffs is specific for the event.

There were a number of drivers in 2016 who where penalized for using fuel not as per the supps. Again, this is not a rule tech writes. As a matter of fact, we write none of them. We only check for compliance. This is a case just like weight where you should check your car. It's a no brainer.

And all of you will be visiting tech post qualifying and some will be tested as part of post qualifying compliance. The cars tested are random and have no bearing on fastest qualifiers. The fuel testing team picks who they want and how many they want. You can request a test if you wish. They will test your fuel. But, there is a limit to how many we can do in one group depending on the size of the next groups.

And be sure you have your fuel testing port compliant to the GCR. And have a hose, if needed, with you. Tie wrap it in the trunk or make sure it's in your pit tool box. And bring whatever tools you may need, pliers, etc. If you have panels that need to be removed, bring that tool. We want to get you out of tech as soon as possible. Having to go back to your pit area to get tools only slows things up for all."

• dstevens likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

They structure the test days by giving more track time earlier in the week ... and thus charging more for the days with more track time.  So they limit the number of entries, yet charge at a premium so you are getting more track time and more room on the track to test. So I think it works out like 40-50-50-60 per session from Thursday thru Sunday.  I get why they do it for the Thursday-Saturday ... but I am not sure why they limit it to 60 instead of 72 on Sunday ...

They did it this way last year at Mid Ohio also, that if you signed up to test earlier in the week the cost was more but there were more sessions and they limited the car numbers. as you got to Sunday, it was just two sessions and the cost was lower but the car count went up. Having driven this track the practice will not be needed to learn the track just to dial in a set up.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

The Runoffs in general and specifically at Indy is serious business for the pointy end. Racers are a superstitious lot so they are probably going to be pretty quiet so as not to run the risk of bad Karma.

Engine, brakes, hubs, probably trans, maybe half shafts, maybe diff. All or some of those items will be new or rebuilt.
Some will have new paint.
4-7 SETS of stickers. 2 sets of H2Os.
$9 per gallon fuel.
Ridiculous entry fee
2 or more test days
8-11 days away from work and family.

Low side of this equation is 10k high side is 15k. There will be 20 -25 folks who spend that much money for the chance to get wrecked in turn 1 by some asshat that thinks p33 has a shot the win. Could be the asshat in p9 also. If most guys are like me, we are more dreading this race than looking forward to it.

Reasons # 1-10 I decided to spend the  money getting  my WRL car ready to race instead of going to Indy.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Am I calculating this correctly for event Oversubscription?

Total Entries: 999
SM Entries: 96
Amount of total cars SCCA can accommodate 700-750. Let's assume 750.

Percent of SM registrations: 96/999= .096
.096 * 750 = 72.07 cars (currently exactly what we can have on track)

I assume that the 700-750 number is flexible and could be increased but I hardly think we will get 90+ for our class.

Anybody else think about this scenario yet?

Steven Powers
Arizona Region

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Is there a longer track version so we could stuff more cars on ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Where are you getting the 750 limit number?  All that went away months ago. The limit originally was because of lack of paddock. However, SCCA contracted more paddock with Indy. There is no limit other than the 72 cars on track at the same time.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

I'm just confused.

• luvin_the_rings likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Sorry, I guess I missed that memo.  So what you are saying is that there is no longer the possibility of Event Oversubscription.

Event Oversubscription

• There will be a finite amount of space on the grounds of the Speedway for paddock. We should be able to accommodate approximately 700-750 cars, but are still in the process of designing the paddock maps. We will need to limit the event entries to what the paddock can handle.
  • Should we need to limit entries due to paddock space, we will do so with the following process:
    • 1.Each class will be seeded individually per the above "Class Seeding" process.
    • 2.The percentage of total pre-event, qualified entries that a class constitutes of the total entry will dictate how many invitations will be extended for each class. For example, if there are 800 total pre-event entries, of which 80 (10 percent) are Spec Miata, and we need to limit to 750 total entries, SM would receive 75 invitations (10 percent of the total).
    • 3.Invitations will be sent after the early-entry deadline date (to be published with the supplemental regulations in the spring).
    • 4.Drivers not receiving invitations will be placed on two separate wait lists, a per-class wait list and an overall wait list.
      • Per-class wait list is seeded as above (Class Seeding) and only for drivers entered before the pre-entry deadline. Spaces opening up in a class due to withdrawals will be filled in with class wait-listed drivers.
      • The overall wait list will be based on the below order. If an invited driver withdraws from a class and no one is on that class' wait list, the next driver in the overall wait-list will be invited to the event, regardless of class, space permitting.
        • 1.Defending Class National Champions
        • 2.Hoosier Super Tour total points earned per class (not limited to best six races). Must score at least 1 (one) point. Tiebreakers as follows:
          • Most 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on place finishes in Hoosier Super Tour races within that class. If ties cannot be broken by finishes, they will be broken by entry date.
        • 3.SCCA U.S. Majors Tour total points earned per class (all events, regardless of Conference, no point minimum). Tiebreakers as follows:
          • Most 1st, 2nd, 3rd place finishes and so on in U.S. Majors Tour races within that class. If ties cannot be broken by finishes, they will be broken by entry date.
        • 4.Remaining drivers by entry date.
      • Drivers entering after the pre-entry deadline will be added only to the end of the overall wait list by entry date.

Steven Powers
Arizona Region

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Is there a longer track version so we could stuff more cars on ??

J~

Maybe a hairpin turn into pit lane? 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Maybe a hairpin turn into pit lane?

I like it. We should also add a joker lap.  One lap during the race ... you have to bypass turn 1 and complete a whole oval.

• Mark McCallister, luvin_the_rings and BNaumann like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

We should also add a joker lap.  One lap during the race ... you have to bypass turn 1 and complete a whole oval.

Best idea I've read all week

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

That would help with Lap 1, turn 1, cluster.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67

I like it. We should also add a joker lap. One lap during the race ... you have to bypass turn 1 and complete a whole oval.

I fully support this silliness and was even thinking we could have an unofficial agreement, but when I used to go to MotoGP they parked people on the backstretch. Better take a sighting lap. 😀
  • Danica Davison likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users