Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

It depends on how it is used.. my car has two full seasons and 118 hrs on it. Still one of the strongest if not the strongest int the country. I will refresh the head before the runoffs.  I would see less over revvs, you should get  80-100 plus hrs

Mine is still running strong too *knock on wood*... and I have had it since November 2015, and it came with 2-3 races on it already.  I do my best not over rev it, and we take really good care of it.  I am not sure how many hours is on it, but in 2016 I did every single CFR race, plus a lot of test days, which is like once a month and did enduros and double dipping ... so I'm sure I am getting close to that 100 number as well.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

Mine is still running strong too *knock on wood*... and I have had it since November 2015, and it came with 2-3 races on it already.  I do my best not over rev it (but I roll it over a few times), and we take really good care of it.  I am not sure how many hours is on it, but in 2016 I did every single CFR race, plus a lot of test days, which is like once a month and did enduros and double dipping ... so I'm sure I am getting close to that 100 number as well.

Fixed that for you!

• Camaro67racer and Danica Davison like this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Fixed that for you!

I was just jealous at how good you are at stacking shit up, and I try to be the best at everything ... so I wanted to outdo the master :)

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ajcjr

ajcjr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:Northeast

Curious what a majors/supertour competitive miata goes for and what type of maintenance do you need from race to race? I ran SRF3 for a few years and have been curious about this class and was wondering the buy in point. 

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Curious what a majors/supertour competitive miata goes for and what type of maintenance do you need from race to race? I ran SRF3 for a few years and have been curious about this class and was wondering the buy in point. 

Car will cost you aprox 23-28k used for a truly super tour capable winning car.  break pads last multipe weekend, tires obviousy ever weekend expense, rotors last about a season, calipers last multipe seasons, front hubs need serviced often, rear hubs I replace new each season, trans is driver dependant I change fluid every 4th weekend in trans, and diff.  I change oil every two weekend in the engine.  Car needs alligned for every weekend, full nut and bolt check, check for subframe crack  etc. 

the thing that i have seen happen alot over the last couple years is alot of cars are having to change out wire harneses as they seem to be going bad at a faster rate then when i began in 2009, I think maybe they are just getting older and more fragile but not really sure. 

• ajcjr, Danica Davison and Greg Holmberg like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

the thing that i have seen happen alot over the last couple years is alot of cars are having to change out wire harneses as they seem to be going bad at a faster rate then when i began in 2009, I think maybe they are just getting older and more fragile but not really sure. 

Interesting  :offtopic: for this thread. We hear of the NB plus harness being an issue and hear very little about the NA harness being an issue. In simple terms, is this because the NB harness is not of the same quality as the NA? And or are there some year NB harness that do not fail?  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Interesting   :offtopic: for this thread. We hear of the NB plus harness being an issue and hear very little about the NA harness being an issue. In simple terms, is this because the NB harness is not of the same quality as the NA? And or are there some year NB harness that do not fail?  

I lost a qualifying session at the june sprints to a harness in my 99, and have gone through at least one other engine harness swap, seems to me the car with the most harness issues are the 01+ know of lots of them personally and some have had repeated problems, not sure what it is about the vvt???

as for the 1.6 its hard to fail wire harnesses when the car sits in a garage and gets started a couple times a year, and then when they are driven many here have said over the years, that whoever is pilotiing them is not a good enough driver to get them to the front   :buried: so maybe they just arent being driven hard enough, this may be a problem over at nasa though as they drive harder over there...  :bomb:  :devil:  :bomb:

• Jamz14, Danica Davison and BNaumann like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

as for the 1.6 its hard to fail wire harnesses when the car sits in a garage and gets started a couple times a year, and then when they are driven many here have said over the years, that whoever is pilotiing them is not a good enough driver to get them to the front   :buried: so maybe they just arent being driven hard enough, this may be a problem over at nasa though as they drive harder over there...  :bomb:  :devil:  :bomb:

Always your conclusion has an offbeat tone. The one time the car had a driver, it did it's thing proper within  Midwestern Council race group from DFL to third of group to two ITS cars. One SM driver after the race questioned where did I find all the speed and I asked the driver, what color the drivers helmet was, the driver said yellow, someone else was driving your car. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

so maybe they just arent being driven hard enough, this may be a problem over at nasa though as they drive harder over there...  :bomb:  :devil:  :bomb:

We do drive harder. Hence the 3/4 car width room rule. You have to want it at NASA.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Greg Holmberg

Greg Holmberg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:CA

Car will cost you aprox 23-28k used for a truly super tour capable winning car.  break pads last multipe weekend, tires obviousy ever weekend expense, rotors last about a season, calipers last multipe seasons, front hubs need serviced often, rear hubs I replace new each season, trans is driver dependant I change fluid every 4th weekend in trans, and diff.  I change oil every two weekend in the engine.  Car needs alligned for every weekend, full nut and bolt check, check for subframe crack  etc. 

And for how many hours will that super-tour-win-capable engine continue to be super-tour-win-capable?

And then, when you send the engine back to the builder to return it to being super-tour-win-capable, how much does he charge you?

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

And for how many hours will that super-tour-win-capable engine continue to be super-tour-win-capable?

And then, when you send the engine back to the builder to return it to being super-tour-win-capable, how much does he charge you?

I do not have an hour meter on my car, but normally I get two seasons out of my engine before refreshing, now that I am barely racing I may get 4 years who knows.  

My engine builder has loaned me his personal car after I dropped a cylinder due to tuliped valved, he then fixed the issue at zero charge even thought the head had 3 weekends on it.  knock on wood I have not over-reved a motor past 7500rpms in my career, so maybe that is why they last so long for me.  I usually do a leakdown after 1 year on the motor, last motor I had that went 2 years I leaked it down after 1 full season and that was with test days and double dipping in stl my leakdown was 1% in all 4 cylinders.  at the end of the second season just before runoffs that engine developed a rod knock I sent it back and had it redone, it is in the car today as is an absolute beast, some cars have a very hard time pushing me at road america, and i can stay almost right on the bumper of a two car train which is almost unheard of.

I have had total rebuilds done to the engine I believe it cost me $4000 and the engine was stronger after refresh then it was new, with same head and same bottom

end.

Engine cost me $6500 new. 

• Danica Davison and Greg Holmberg like this

K. Webb