22 replies to this topic

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:88
Well, I have jumped this thread from Specmiata.com.

Cage is in! It was a bigger project than expected, but due to the great instructions from Miatacage.com, everything went really smooth. I took my time and made sure everything was a nice tight fit, and that it looked the way I wanted it to.

Next is to prime and paint cage, then interior before reassembly.

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Posted Image<br><br>
Posted Image

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1996
Looks good! I am at the same step as you. I'm in the middle of masking everything off and I am hoping to have it painted by Friday. Then I will start putting it all back together.
-- Jay --
96 Spec Miata - Build in progress
North East SCCA

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Got home today and started to clean cage for prime/paint. I also modified my door panels to fit the cut out. The original car was a black and tan, so I painted the dash and door panels with flat black vinyl paint. Looks better than I expected.

Posted Image

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Cage primed! Brushed on rustolium grey. Gonna try to paint tonight using a rustolium yellow enamel.

Posted Image

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Car will be black with yellow top, so I decided to paint cage yellow so it looks good with top off. It is a real task to paint the cage with a brush! Hopefully I can conseal all the yellow on the car (and in my hair) during final paint.
Posted Image

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Car will be black with yellow top, so I decided to paint cage yellow so it looks good with top off. It is a real task to paint the cage with a brush! Hopefully I can conseal all the yellow on the car (and in my hair) during final paint.
Posted Image

Just curious, what happened with your roof diagonal? It looks like it was initially in the corner, and then it got moved in about 6"?

Also noticed the Hobart, great welder, thats what I am using as well.
-- Jay --
North East SCCA

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Posted Image

Painted another coat on cage and cleaned up interior.

Yeah, the roof diaganal was in the corner as per the instructions on miatagace.com, but after it was welded in I noticed I could not get to the hardtop mounting straps. The relocation allows me to remove and install the top without any interference.

Time to seal all those holes and gaps on the rear shelf. I am gonna use aluminum tape and fire proof caulk. My 3 removable panels on the rear shelf were rusted away, so I had to locate replacements. The only ones I could find were from a 2000 model. I had to do a little fabrication, but they seem to fit good enough.
  • RacerX likes this

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Painted another coat on cage and cleaned up interior.

Yeah, the roof diaganal was in the corner as per the instructions on miatagace.com, but after it was welded in I noticed I could not get to the hardtop mounting straps. The relocation allows me to remove and install the top without any interference.

Time to seal all those holes and gaps on the rear shelf. I am gonna use aluminum tape and fire proof caulk. My 3 removable panels on the rear shelf were rusted away, so I had to locate replacements. The only ones I could find were from a 2000 model. I had to do a little fabrication, but they seem to fit good enough.

Looks good! Did you trial fit your dash yet? I just got mine in last night. Had to pull it out like 4 times to get it cut perfectly. Make sure you tape up your roll cage bars around the dash so you dont scratch the paint on them.
-- Jay --
North East SCCA

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2012
  • Car Number:98
that looks good

Ernie Francis Jr.
www.ErnieFrancisJrRacing.com
Pirelli World Challenge TCB/GTS Driver

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
The 1992 1.6 build is going well. I am in final reassembly right now.

I think I have the Miata bug, because I just picked up a 1996 1.8 today for a steal. It was in the perfect condition to start another spec project. Fenders are dented (i have new ones already), top is gone, and interior carpet is shot. Carpet and seats are already out and floor boards are good\. Seems to run and shift well. Now I need to figure out exactly what I want to do with it??????
Posted Image\

Josh Chaney

Josh Chaney

JC-MX5

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:33
Fun auto-x toy?
- Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Assembly almost complete and road test in progress. Yes, I kept it street legal so I can drive it to work on nice days! Got the Toyos and rims slapped on today. Handles really nice with initial setup. I still have to plumb the extinguisher and cover holes in back panel. Then to paint and body. The first track day will be at Grandsport Speedway on Jan 15th.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

G. Garrett

G. Garrett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
What prep if any did you do before painting the interior of the car? The yellow cage and silver interior paint looks really good!!
Glen Garrett
Clemson Mechanical Engineering '14
1990 Spec Miata
HPDE 3/4-Comp School 2011

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
Car looks really clean on the inside....great work! Looks a lot better than the flat black on flat black motif I just did.

Are you going to run any type of molding around the edges of the gutted doors? Mine were pretty sharp so I used fender trim from the local auto parts store.......was a bit hard to work with and took some zip ties but I feel better having it there.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
I am using the stock door cards that I modified for the top of the doors. For the bottom I bought some edge trim from Pep Boys. It comes in a roll and should work out nice. I made sure I rounded all the corners to allow it to hold better. I am waiting to put windshield and other moulding back on till after paint.

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
I think she is ready for her first track day tomorrow. Hopefully no rain!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Looks good! You wont be hard to find on track :)

Yellow #'s and your set!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

juliancates

juliancates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Region:NASA MA/SE
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:73
Car is looking really good! How was the first track day?
Posted Image
2010 NASA Midwest GTS2 Runner-Up
2011 The SM Saga Begins

DamonB

DamonB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
The car looks great. I appreciate the pics as I will soon be installing the miatacage.com kit. Are you able to keep the stock dead pedal with the kit? I tend to use the dead pedal a lot and don't want to lose it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users