7 replies to this topic

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Have searched the archives and confirmed that you need a specific temp range in a 1.6 to optimize performance. Installed a big, alum radiator over the winter for the warmer months, but can't seem to get more than 155-160 and that is running a 160 Napa stat. Will running a Mazda OEM stat do the trick or do I need to make some type of alum blocker for the radiator thus reducing the total air flow as well. Thanks...
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davearm

davearm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:66

Have searched the archives and confirmed that you need a specific temp range in a 1.6 to optimize performance. Installed a big, alum radiator over the winter for the warmer months, but can't seem to get more than 155-160 and that is running a 160 Napa stat. Will running a Mazda OEM stat do the trick or do I need to make some type of alum blocker for the radiator thus reducing the total air flow as well. Thanks...

We had similar issues 2 weekes ago @ VIR, when the temps were in the upper 30's for a high. Some people just taped off part of the grill opening to the radiator, and removed pieces to fine tune the water temps.

Dave

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I do not have a 1.6 and do not know of the optimal range but my view is I would rather have a cooler running motor then a hot one after you reach operating temp. My motor produces more HP when its at 180 degrees vs. 210.

All I can suggest is that if the 160 is below your target then run a hotter stat. I run the 170 and like it. some others hear will tell you not to run one at all and others will tell you to restrict the flow a little. You have to find out what works best for your car and you climate. I would talk to one of the motor builders, I am not one of those but that is who I would seek out if I had a question.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94
Bill, if you're running 160 or above, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's running below 160 on the real cool days you can slide a piece of cardboard about 6"-8" wide down in front of the radiator on the pass side. Duct tape it to the core support accross the top and it won't go anywhere. I have to do the same thing with the 160 stat.

Ken
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Bill, if you're running 160 or above, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's running below 160 on the real cool days you can slide a piece of cardboard about 6"-8" wide down in front of the radiator on the pass side. Duct tape it to the core support accross the top and it won't go anywhere. I have to do the same thing with the 160 stat.

Ken

Thanks Ken....passenger side huh? I came off the track once after about 15 minutes and temp was 140.....Running the 4 Hour Enduro at Pacific Sunday so will fabricate something if needed. . Don't want to run cardboard if conditions are wet. And congrats, by the way, for the excellent run at Thill...can't imagine having to chain up on the way down. Too wierd!

Bill
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

iambhooper

iambhooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:over here
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:666
what is the "optimum" temp? at VIR last month, my car was running around 200-210 (at most). the car has a big radiator and a slightly higher pressure radiator cap. i don't know the thermostat temp range, as what's there is what came with the car.

hoop
hoop
a bunch of old '90's cars
and an '06 RSX Type S

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Just wanted to post an update on this thread regarding operating temps. The very cool 145-150 temps I was getting a few weeks ago was with a gutted stat. Some suggested an OEM 192 from Mazdaspeed which I ordered. Great price I might add. Well that got temps up to about 210 on a 45-50 degree day. Went down to a 180 and just completed a 4 hour enduro where temps were consistently in the 195-200 range which I guess is about where you want it. I would suspect as the days get warmer I will drop to a 160 or put the gutted one back in. Judging from my experience here, I would guess that a 170 should be just about perfect.

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA
I don't have a 1.6 I have a 1.8 protege (little better cooling than the miata). I have the stock oem thermostat (I thought 195) with stock auto radiator and my car runs 195-200 all year round.Florida weather.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users