Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

Man, this thread is way too technical for me and way too much reading.  However, positive points are being brought up by both sides (I think).  So, given my ignorance, I will support whatever proposed rule that tries to meet most/all of the following criteria as close as it can:

1.)  Decreasing (or just not increasing) wear on other parts.  More maintenance = more money.  More wear = more risk of failure on track. Failure on track = More more money.

2.)  Does it help the little guy as much as it helps the big wallet guy without costing a fortune? If yes, then I support it.

3.)  Is it rules creep because someone got caught doing it, or is really needed for the betterment of the class? I do not know, but that is what you are all debating about.  I didn't know it was even an issue.

4.)  Is there more or less of an area to cheat the new rule? Or, does this new rule increase/decrease the risk of cheating other rules?  If it stays the same or decreases gray areas that can be exploited, then I support it.

5.)  Is the proposed rule easily teched? 

Yeah, I think that is it.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Man, this thread is way too technical for me and way too much reading.  However, positive points are being brought up by both sides (I think).  So, given my ignorance, I will support whatever proposed rule that tries to meet most/all of the following criteria as close as it can:

1.)  Decreasing (or just not increasing) wear on other parts.  More maintenance = more money.  More wear = more risk of failure on track. Failure on track = More more money.

2.)  Does it help the little guy as much as it helps the big wallet guy without costing a fortune? If yes, then I support it.

3.)  Is it rules creep because someone got caught doing it, or is really needed for the betterment of the class? I do not know, but that is what you are all debating about.  I didn't know it was even an issue.

4.)  Is there more or less of an area to cheat the new rule? Or, does this new rule increase/decrease the risk of cheating other rules?  If it stays the same or decreases gray areas that can be exploited, then I support it.

5.)  Is the proposed rule easily teched? 

Yeah, I think that is it.

I think the point that Dave mentioned that is worth while is that this proposal which is in effect suggesting that we modify the car to run way more camber than was designed into the car should be tested to determine the unintended consequences. Will Running -4.5 degrees of camber have an impact on half shafts, rear uprights( hubs), other parts? if so, if the failure rate goes higher than it already is,  then there is the safety issue at play. Opinions abound to the contrary. I think this is worth testing. Of course, some might suggest that there has already been the illegal testing. lol.  

• tylerbrown and Danica Davison like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

I think the point that Dave mentioned that is worth while is that this proposal which is in effect suggesting that we modify the car to run way more camber than was designed into the car should be tested to determine the unintended consequences. Will Running -4.5 degrees of camber have an impact on half shafts, rear uprights( hubs), other parts? if so, if the failure rate goes higher than it already is,  then there is the safety issue at play. Opinions abound to the contrary. I think this is worth testing. Of course, some might suggest that there has already been the illegal testing. lol. 

I think you just answered your own question. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

We have not needed this for 15 years!!!!!!!  Not one letter asking for it, not one mention of it UNTIL someone got caught CHEATING..... Now everyone thinks they have to have it.... F'n lemmings.

This "fix" is nothing new.... I've done it to countless cars as has any other prep shop as a TRACKSIDE repair... Quick and easy (BUT STILL ILLEGAL)... The car goes back to the shop and we FIX the problem..... Whoever thought bringing something like this to the runoffs was a good idea really needs to reconsider why they race this class....

• Bench Racer, Marc Cefalo, Justin Casey and 1 other like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

We have not needed this for 15 years!!!!!!! Not one letter asking for it, not one mention of it UNTIL someone got caught CHEATING..... Now everyone thinks they have to have it.... F'n lemmings.

Generally speaking, I think of lemmings as being those who blindly follow leaders or perceived leaders without questioning anything themselves or giving due consideration to other views and ideas. Quite the opposite of what I’ve seen here.
  • dstevens likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Generally speaking, I think of lemmings as being those who blindly follow leaders or perceived leaders without questioning anything themselves or giving due consideration to other views and ideas. Quite the opposite of what I’ve seen here.

Leaders, perceived leaders, or someone who's justifying a rule change they like...take your pick.

To echo Mike - this is not needed.

To echo Dave - this is not needed.

If you have bent shit, fix it between events.

https://www.youtube....h?v=xX6yp18EPoQ

• Mike Collins, Bench Racer and mhiggins10 like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

This "fix" is nothing new.... I've done it to countless cars as has any other prep shop as a TRACKSIDE repair... Quick and easy (BUT STILL ILLEGAL)... The car goes back to the shop and we FIX the problem..... Whoever thought bringing something like this to the runoffs was a good idea really needs to reconsider why they race this class....

I’ve heard that several times now, and it really isn’t a big deal IMO, but it certainly points out something worth stating clearly.

It is OK for someone to do this at the track because a part got tweaked or whatever, and we trust that really happened at the track rather than just realizing a little extra camber on one corner would be nice, and that it poses no additional safety risk, etc. etc. Whatever justifications we offer why that’s OK are apparently far stronger than saving joe average racer considerable time and expense, and possibly missing an event or more, because his subframe got pushed in 1/8 of an f’ing inch.

Got it.

Everytime one of you guys post I get closer to making up my mind.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
So Dave, if I’m not mistaken it was you more than anyone pushing for an option to update NAs with the entire NB suspension and sub frames package. I think that proved unpopular because too many would have felt compelled to do it at significant expense or fall behind. I assume the goal was “model parity” and I’m not saying it was a bad idea, just maybe too early. But why is this proposal to overcome an incredibly small damage issue at little or no cost so completely unacceptable? Is it really all about the new round of testing required to see what works? Nothing else seems to hold any water at all.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Leaders, perceived leaders, or someone who's justifying a rule change they like...take your pick.

To echo Mike - this is not needed.
To echo Dave - this is not needed.

If you have bent shit, fix it between events.

Spoken like a true lemming. :)

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

So Dave, if I’m not mistaken it was you more than anyone pushing for an option to update NAs with the entire NB suspension and sub frames package. I think that proved unpopular because too many would have felt compelled to do it at significant expense or fall behind. I assume the goal was “model parity” and I’m not saying it was a bad idea, just maybe too early. But why is this proposal to overcome an incredibly small damage issue at little or no cost so completely unacceptable? Is it really all about the new round of testing required to see what works? Nothing else seems to hold any water at all.

You are correct, I still feel allowing (not requiring)the NA cars to run an NB subframe is a good idea in terms of parity. It is bolt in, nothing needs to be modified, factory parts. Please do not add this to the current discussion. This was a parity issue, nothing else.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Atlantic Canada
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

..... because his subframe got pushed in 1/8 of an f’ing inch.

Ummmm... 1/8" = 0.125, I think. Not 0.2".

Sorry, not taking sides, but Steve is normally so precise that I just had to point that out. Carry on.

EDIT: only offered in the spirit of egging on a good food fight... lol.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
:) I KNEW someone would call that. It’s not as if we are trying to correct for a specific amount of damage to a particular part. Trying out lines for my letter so I used a more familar fraction that still amounts to nearly a full degree at the upper arm, which of course isn’t even a part which gets damaged in a way to decrease camber.

But rib me all you want, at least you are reading it.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Steve,

A bent subframe is no more legal than bent spindles (hub carriers, whatever you choose to call them). People are not going to use this to fix a deficiency in a car. It's going to be used to gain a mechanical advantage that just isn't needed.

If, and a hypothetical if, this damage occurred at the runoffs we go out on track once a day. Easily fixed between sessions. I can't think of a team that doesn't carry those with them. It's not that hard to fix and in the scheme of things those parts just aren't that expensive.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Mike, from my crash experience at least the rear hub carrier is damned hard to bend without breaking, though it sounds like some have managed. Much more likely are the lower arms and/or the subframe.

And of course I wasn’t thinking or caring about what goes on at the Runoffs, I was just contemplating the fact that a very slight elongation of a hole is perfectly OK to salvage a weekend but not OK to let joe average solve an otherwise very expensive problem for next to nothing.

But I totally get the real argument against, I raised it myself more than once. It isn’t, as some keep parroting and paraphrasing, that the change is not absolutely necessary (joe average might disagree) but that it will almost certainly start another round of testing to find the best setup. And though talk of 4.5 degrees is mostly hype, it’s possible that wherever it lands is a bit harder on tires than what most run now. Maybe. For most of us, those are the arguments to weigh and the rest is noise.

Then there are those who know full well that some are still bending the rules, among other things, on the front. As soon as we can legally get 4+ in back those guys have an edge again. There’s no point running that in back if you can’t get it in front. Now people like Jim are stuck, either they push hard to stop the cheats, return to the dark side, or be at a disadvantage if more really is better.

Guess what? That’s exactly the conundrum we faced every damn race going back to 2002 or whenever it was we started, and it was a whole shit load more than just a little camber.

If you lock down the front cheats, which you should regardless of this debate, then you render 4+ degrees in back superfluous. Or go the other way and just make 5 easily available to all. I think that will be the conclusion in my letter to the CRB.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Thanks Ms. Richardson, you have instigated 11 pages of chatter with the Prelims.  :yep:

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Its chatter when one is against...or we are all lemmings or we are all internet savants :pessimist:

This quote IMO is very understandable but it does not apply to ALL SM drivers...and something the current SMAC seems to have put a decent amount of weight towards!

"I can't think of a team that doesn't carry those with them. It's not that hard to fix and in the scheme of things those parts just aren't that expensive."

• Armando Ramirez and Steve Scheifler like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67
If one thing comes out of this deceased equine assault I hope tech next year turns their focus to suspension pieces. Only because they are much easier to remove than cylinder heads and transmissions.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

If one thing comes out of this deceased equine assault I hope tech next year turns their focus to suspension pieces. Only because they are much easier to remove than cylinder heads and transmissions.

I can assure you taking off suspension pieces during the weekend by tech favors one type of Competitor!  The FRONT RUNNER!!!!!

He who has scales and a setup rack wins this exercise every time... 

I would have no problem if they take them off after the Sunday race.

• Cnj and Jamz14 like this

K. Webb