RWP80000

RWP80000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Region:SoPac
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:2

That's human nature for you!  The fact that folks appear to be asking for slotting of an OE part rather than, say, bushings like what was done up front is the surprising part to me.  The only reason the slotting was done on Steyn's car in the first place was in hopes that it wouldn't be caught.  If we are looking to change a rule for the same end result as what those slots did, I would prefere the rule be written to use the correct part(s) instead of modifying an OE part.

That said, I'm not sure if I support the change at all or not....still building my car and have not checked alignment yet ;)

In addition to the obvious advantage of being able to obtain more camber there are other aspects that were considered;

• Cost- about as cheap a modification as can be found.
  • Difficulty - can be performed on or off the car with simple tools from a rat-tailed file to a simple die grinder (just be careful not to exceed the allowance given as calipers with resolution 0.001 inch will be the inspection tool of choice).
  • Time - Should not take much discussion to haggle on the labor charges involved if you elect not to do it yourself.
  • Investment and obsolescence- no need to buy additional arms, use what you have.

Other considerations;

• Due to the variation in how much camber some vehicles are able to obtain, it either becomes necessary to swap out any number of parts to find the actual culprit part(s).  As we all know this can be time consuming and expensive depending on your resources and/or abilities.
  • In lieu of the parts swapping routine or in the event an adequate solution is not found, the most probable solution would  be to apply a porta-power to the bottom of the cradle to spread it to obtain desired camber.  The issue with this is that you are now effectively increasing the track width of the vehicle, which of itself could create an additional competitive advantage.  Slotting the upper arm does the opposite effectively reducing track width.
  • Requiring use of offset bushings in the upper rear arms introduces additional cost and installation expense as well as introducing the potential for variation in orientation between each offset bushing (not a significant issue in and of itself) but it does make for a difficult/time consuming process to change bushing orientation for purposes of camber adjustments.
  • A primary advantage for slotting the upper rear arm outer hole is that it allows a quick and easy way to introduce additional rear camber WITHOUT affecting the rear toe setting.  This allows those who want  the ability to evaluate "at the track" camber changes the ability to do so without having to deal with chasing the two lower rear control arm cam bolt settings while in the process not screwing up the rear toe setting. This is really throwing a bone to all of the DIY low buck competitors that do not have large support crews and equipment at their beck and call with the ability to make this evaluation and if necessary get back to where they were, if so desired.  

My opinion is that this is a decision based in common sense that does not favor or advantage any competitor over another but rather codifies something that is simple cheap and useful.

• Johnny D, Ron Alan, Muda and 2 others like this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I wonder how many will slot them at a 2oclock orientation and how many will slot them at 4 o'clock to slightly change the geometry of the suspension now that the slotting is only defined by a length rather then a direction????

Might not be big enough to matter what direction you go but I'm sure someone will think someone else is getting some advantage maybe we should put multiple slots and we can play with them at the track as long as none of them exceed .6...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I am likely in the Minority, and bluntly, now it really does not matter, but I am against the rule change and how it was changed slotting vs bushings. To me the common sense approach would be to use the same method of modification, but as Kyle would point out, its just my OCD.

Question, since i race NASA also, do we expect they will adopt the same rule or will this be another area of conflict?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

I wonder how many will slot them at a 2oclock orientation and how many will slot them at 4 o'clock to slightly change the geometry of the suspension now that the slotting is only defined by a length rather then a direction????
Might not be big enough to matter what direction you go but I'm sure someone will think someone else is getting some advantage maybe we should put multiple slots and we can play with them at the track as long as none of them exceed .6...

Caveman you need to go back and study Geometry. Sloting in any other direction than inline with the pivot points will achieve no gain whatsoever. The upright pivot and subframe pivot are not changed. So since those two points have not changed the only thing that can change with the upper a-arm is length. Sloting vertically does not change length. E.i. No change in suspension geometry.
  • JSmart likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
And before evey one goes ape shit about massive slots. Go dig out your scale and visualy look at how much .2” actually is.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
As far a here we go again, someone cheats and we get a rule change.

Many times when a cheat is found it heightens a issue. In this case the cheat was identified. The reason for the cheat was identified. This undercovered tollance issues. This defined a disparity between cars that are all intended to be as close to each other as possible. Then options are evaluated. So in the end this puts the cars on a closer playing field at little or no cost.
  • Johnny D and Ron Alan like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Kids, ask your mature people what body filler was used previous to bondo. :bigsquaregrin:

Use said material and your right rear might come up heavy. :rotfl:

I was going to tell him to grind up some tungsten and put that in the filler...

I'm with you but will take a crack at answering.  The fan to run windshield defrosters comes in handy in northern climates some days to help de-fog the inside of the windshield.  Safety-wise it's a plus.  I've used it many times over the years. 

Not everyone needs that.  You could leave it in if you wanted/needed it.  

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

In addition to the obvious advantage of being able to obtain more camber there are other aspects that were considered;

• Cost- about as cheap a modification as can be found.
  • Difficulty - can be performed on or off the car with simple tools from a rat-tailed file to a simple die grinder (just be careful not to exceed the allowance given as calipers with resolution 0.001 inch will be the inspection tool of choice).
  • Time - Should not take much discussion to haggle on the labor charges involved if you elect not to do it yourself.
  • Investment and obsolescence- no need to buy additional arms, use what you have.

Other considerations;

• Due to the variation in how much camber some vehicles are able to obtain, it either becomes necessary to swap out any number of parts to find the actual culprit part(s).  As we all know this can be time consuming and expensive depending on your resources and/or abilities.
  • In lieu of the parts swapping routine or in the event an adequate solution is not found, the most probable solution would  be to apply a porta-power to the bottom of the cradle to spread it to obtain desired camber.  The issue with this is that you are now effectively increasing the track width of the vehicle, which of itself could create an additional competitive advantage.  Slotting the upper arm does the opposite effectively reducing track width.
  • Requiring use of offset bushings in the upper rear arms introduces additional cost and installation expense as well as introducing the potential for variation in orientation between each offset bushing (not a significant issue in and of itself) but it does make for a difficult/time consuming process to change bushing orientation for purposes of camber adjustments.
  • A primary advantage for slotting the upper rear arm outer hole is that it allows a quick and easy way to introduce additional rear camber WITHOUT affecting the rear toe setting.  This allows those who want  the ability to evaluate "at the track" camber changes the ability to do so without having to deal with chasing the two lower rear control arm cam bolt settings while in the process not screwing up the rear toe setting. This is really throwing a bone to all of the DIY low buck competitors that do not have large support crews and equipment at their beck and call with the ability to make this evaluation and if necessary get back to where they were, if so desired.  

My opinion is that this is a decision based in common sense that does not favor or advantage any competitor over another but rather codifies something that is simple cheap and useful.

Common sense...what a concept! Thanks for the nicely explained thought process Rich!!

Still hoping someone can explain what Bauer is referring to with his Shock "wording" or clarification? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Unless the builder is advertising a claim of superior performance by modifying the dampening rates why would anyone spend double or more for a rebuild than new?

Heard of Jim Jones? 

Then again...if you drop a second a lap at each track with no other changes and you are now keeping up with your competitor(and winning) who also has same said equipment...money well spent until you get bounced!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tylerbrown

tylerbrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:07
Any word on the Fat Cats?

Tyler Brown

Sneaky Moose Motorsports - Owner

2023 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2023 June Sprints - 1st Place

2022 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2020 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2019 June Sprints - 1st Place

Design Engineer - Milwaukee Electric Tool

Facebook: https://www.facebook...oseMotorsports/

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....le_polymer=true

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Any word on the Fat Cats?

Why would 75% of us be concerned, we'd only get caught via a random check. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

As far a here we go again, someone cheats and we get a rule change.

Ok, we have another cheat, another rule change and no one has specified if the .600 inch long slot is from end of radius to end of radius or radius center line to radius center. In the engineering world slots are measured both ways. There is a gain if the slot specification is .600 inch from center line to center line. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

The rule change is not in the final Fastrack.  

Martinracing98

Martinracing98

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

The rule change is not in the final Fastrack.

That is what I have been thinking this whole thread. I don't see that it is a rule. Only that it was discussed.

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Ok, we have another cheat, another rule change and no one has specified if the .600 inch long slot is from end of radius to end of radius or radius center line to radius center. In the engineering world slots are measured both ways. There is a gain if the slot specification is .600 inch from center line to center line. 

I would imagine it would have to be end of slot. Certainly some folks would modify using a dremel and a center line inspection would only be an estimate. If being inspected with a caliper, most often the length is inspected and the radii are subtracted to determine the flat length unless you had a CMM or optical comparator which is probably unlikely at track.

In any event I really hope this doesn't go through. Not a fan of rule changes to prevent "inevitable" cheating.

• dstevens, Jim Drago and tylerbrown like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

I am a 6'3" 230 pound guy

http://www.conrad.co...FB.EPS_1000.jpg

Use this and you'll be a 6'3" 190# guy in no time.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99
I am not for or against the rule but I believe the slot needs to be defined better as to what direction and from where will it be measured.
  • Bench Racer, mellen and Danica Davison like this

K. Webb