Photo

Spec Miata tires

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Poll: Spec tires (104 member(s) have cast votes)

If racing in SCCA Majors or Super Tour Series, How many new sets of SM& tires are you buying per weekend

1. not racing in those series (34 votes [32.69%])

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

2. less than one set (7 votes [6.73%])

Percentage of vote: 6.73%

3. 1 set (39 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

4. 2 sets (24 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

5. 3 or more sets (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

If given the choice, What tire would you chose as the Spec Tire in SM?

1. Hoosier SM7 (23 votes [22.12%])

Percentage of vote: 22.12%

2. Toyo RR (72 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

3. Other (9 votes [8.65%])

Percentage of vote: 8.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76

Appalachian Race Tire

http://racetire.com/...t-radial-r7-a7/

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999

Does anyone here remember when we ran a tire whose best lap was the lap before it corded?  And they lasted half the season?  The current Toyo isn't that good.  Don't know why a spec class needs a tire that cycles out before it wears out???   Participants have a budget for racing and tires eat into that more than anything else.  When the money runs out they stop racing.  What's good for SM and the organizations it to have more people racing more.  I'm for a tire that has the most grip, doesn't overload our current suspension and its components and that has to wear out.  They can all make that.  The question is who will.  If the race tire manufacturers won't do it then let's run street tires.  We are all on the same tire so it really doesn't matter.

• Joe (dad) Jordan, Dave Cox, GROOTS and 2 others like this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

Does anyone here remember when we ran a tire whose best lap was the lap before it corded?  And they lasted half the season?  The current Toyo isn't that good.  Don't know why a spec class needs a tire that cycles out before it wears out???   Participants have a budget for racing and tires eat into that more than anything else.  When the money runs out they stop racing.  What's good for SM and the organizations it to have more people racing more.  I'm for a tire that has the most grip, doesn't overload our current suspension and its components and that has to wear out.  They can all make that.  The question is who will.  If the race tire manufacturers won't do it then let's run street tires.  We are all on the same tire so it really doesn't matter.

Yes, that was the Toyo RA1 and we shaved those

William Keeling

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Yes, that was the Toyo RA1 and we shaved those

Yep. And it was my understanding that the rr is made with the same compound as the ra1.

As a mid-pack driver I see about 15 hc on the rr. Could be up to 20 if I planned it right and saved certain tires for certain tracks. That's not quite corded, but it's pretty close.

I don't shave the rr, but I've bought some shaved take-offs (2/32 shave with 1hc). My car or the track didn't like them at all--it was loose as f*ck. I also corded the right side in a single race.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Yep. And it was my understanding that the rr is made with the same compound as the ra1.

As a mid-pack driver I see about 15 hc on the rr. Could be up to 20 if I planned it right and saved certain tires for certain tracks. That's not quite corded, but it's pretty close.

Would be interesting to know if in fact the compound is the same...both DOT tire but one rated at 100 tread wear and the other at 40.

It may depend a little on the day and the track but I have seen end of life RR's be competitive on fast cars!

• Danny Steyn likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Never bought a Hoosier, or a Toyo, at the track. I place orders online and have them shipped to my house. Use local guy to mount balance.

I think you understood my point...sorry it wasnt up to your literal standard :)

I've always made a phone call and had them show up at the track with the provider...be it Hoosier West or our local Toyo dealer. Never been charged shipping this way...maybe a premium to M/B but we need someone at the track! 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
We have very rarely, maybe three times total ever, planned to buy tires at the track. Shipping is largely offset by tax savings and M&B is way cheaper at home. Even without that, I don’t need the hassle of dealing with that crap at the track. Our tires are always baseline aired up in advance so any leak is spotted and setting/transferring pressures is simpler. More control over conditions like humidity, and checking for bent or damaged wheels before we need them.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Different strokes...I too rarely need to pick up at track...but when I do it's a phone call. I don't have the luxury of my own tire machine and balancer...but the local tire shop works with me!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Though I could have bought the equipment myself for what we’ve spent over the years, we pay another local racer to do our M&B. We could save even more elsewhere but he’s an old friend, does a perfect job every time and his equipment is at the same location as our shop.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Though I could have bought the equipment myself for what we’ve spent over the years, we pay another local racer to do our M&B. We could save even more elsewhere but he’s an old friend, does a perfect job every time and his equipment is at the same location as our shop.

The equipment isn't the expensive part.  What are the labor costs?  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ethomas

Ethomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:Nevada
  • Car Number:92
I do not have any experience on the toyos,but I can say for sure the Hoosiers wear out too fast. I am a low budget, back marker trying desperately to maximize my budget/track all while trying to become competitive. Adding a stought race tire budget is killing me. I run my tires til they cord and rarely get to run on stickers. It is incredibly frustrating to know that within a couple hc I am even less competitive. I can say I enjoy running on a soft sticky tire and am willing to sacrifice some to do so, but the current sm7 is sacrificing too much. Additionally I do not get free tires, being a back marker means I pay for every tire I run, hopefully someday I will change that. I don't care what tire we run, It needs to do more competitive hc because the sm7 isn't cutting it.
  • Andy L, mhiggins10, tynor and 1 other like this

Miamirice

Miamirice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:46

Haha my bad, bb.

We used the BFG Rivals for both Sebring and Daytona on one set and didn't change, and they were perfectly fine. We then tried the Rival S, which is softer, and the left side tires had nothing left after 6 hours at Sebring .. so I would stay away from the Rival S.

Since the Rivals are pretty bad in the rain, we recently decided to change to the RS4 which we won Sebring with in September, used them again New Years at Sebring but the motor blew up in 45 min, so I have no answer for if it can last two races at Sebring . But, we will be at Daytona with the same set in a couple of weeks, and I will let you know how they do. They still had plenty of life left after 14 hours at Sebring.

We have yet to try the Direzzas, but I believe that is what Buras and Pardus' teams are running. Not sure if they are getting two races out of theirs, but maybe Preston can comment if he knows (since I see him reading this right now). :)

I have not done chump in years but we ran a bmw 540 (heavy car) on direzzas and RS-3’s for many years. It was no big deal to have them go 14 hours and even start the next race on the same set. The tires were predictable and held up well to abuse. We liked the RS-3 better as it seemed to tolerate / come back from being over driven better.
  • Muda and Danica Davison like this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Seems a lot of people want more competitive longevity in a spec tire. A tire deal that puts money in the club's pocket by taking it out of the regional racer's pocket is not a good deal.

Is the SMAC listening?

• Muda and pitbull113 like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Tires seems to be a "problem" for every form of racing out there.  Every professional series I watch has limitations on the number of sets of tires per weekend.  It's been discussed before, and shot down, but perhaps Hoosier could supply a tech with a barcode scanner on the grid for every session at a Major.  That would qualify as "support".  The other details (flatspot, rain, damage, etc.) could be figured out.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Seems a lot of people want more competitive longevity in a spec tire. A tire deal that puts money in the club's pocket by taking it out of the regional racer's pocket is not a good deal.

Is the SMAC listening?

I am sure they are. I think Todd Lamb and other SMAC members have the right intentions for the class. None of those guys want to spend the money either if they don't feel like they have to, to be competitive.  It is to my understanding that Todd has been working with Hoosier to give us a better product, but this isn't going to happen overnight, and I doubt he wants to sit here and say "yes, I am listening" over and over again. 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Why are we married to Hoosier?

• Muda likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

I am sure they are. I think Todd Lamb and other SMAC members have the right intentions for the class. None of those guys want to spend the money either if they don't feel like they have to, to be competitive.  It is to my understanding that Todd has been working with Hoosier to give us a better product, but this isn't going to happen overnight, and I doubt he wants to sit here and say "yes, I am listening" over and over again. 

an affirmative "this is what we (SMAC) are telling hoosier" post would go a long way. 

• mhiggins10, Danica Davison and Samuel J like this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

an affirmative "this is what we (SMAC) are telling hoosier" post would go a long way.

Fair enough. But, I believe Todd has before (somewhere on this forum).

• tylerbrown likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Fair enough. But, I believe Todd has before (somewhere on this forum).

He posted the link earlier in this thread...

• tylerbrown likes this

http://jenkinsracing.com

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV
  • Car Year:1990

5 months ago, for those who missed it:  http://mazdaracers.c...ng-2019-update/

The wheels have been in motion for quite some time, and they don't have Toyo's mounted on them. 

He posted the link earlier in this thread...

There's the post.  Perhaps we could get a 5-month progress report?  Something like "Hoosier listened and will have a new tire for testing shortly that should have the following key differences: blahblahblah.  We intend to test with [description of drivers, or names if appropriate] by [date] using the following methods [blahblahblah]."

Maybe that's not an appropriate update at this juncture, but it would be nice to know where that effort stands in light of all the discussion here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users