pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA
As we know in 2012 the scca is mandating the use of a head and neck system. This rule is not written in stone. I'm urging all members to write the scca and let them know we do not need this rule. If you choose to wear one fine but we should have the right to race without it if we want to.Thank you.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
I feel vulnerable and unprotected when I drive any car without being belted in. I feel the same way without a HANS now too. Just my humble opinion, but why anyone would want to drive a racecar without a Hans is a complete mystery to me. I bought mine after a particularly hard hit doing about 35MPH -- really wrenched my neck. Since then, I've had at least one hit doing over 70 and not a sore spot on my body. To each his own I guess, but my first thought was you might as well write letters about the seat belt rule while you're at it :)

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
I'm with Bruce on this one for the same reason I'm in favor of motorcycle helmet laws: It may be YOUR choice to not wear some safety devices, but when you end up dying in an accident it DOES EFFECT ME. The fact that there are still race tracks and there's still racing in this crazy-ass litigious country is still a mystery to me. The more people that get hurt, the worse it is for all of us, your choice or not. When I make a small mistake and turn down on you accidentally, you get spun, hit a wall and end up dying, I'M the one that is going to have to live with the consequences of that as your family sues my ass (AND the track AND the SCCA) into oblivion and I'm an emotional wreck over what *could* have been a walk-away-and-share-a-beer accident had you had a H&N restraint on.

Sorry, but the H&N restraint's acceptance in racing has reached that critical mass where you just can't ignore it with plausible deniability anymore. NOT wearing one should now be considered negligent (IMHO). I hope the EJECT system and side head protection (nets or seats) follow suit.

Just one guy's opinion.

Cheers,

Dean
  • James York likes this

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Yup... what dean said. Sorry, no letter writing here.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TreadZone

TreadZone

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Did you see the Vintage Race Video where the drives went flying through the air? You know everyone of them said seatbelts would destroy racing and it was better to get away from the car in an accident. You know that helmets keep you from hearing the engine and noises in the car so why must you wear a helmet when racing.
When I built my Hill Climb car I debated a roll bar or a cage. I was very thankful that I decide on the cage when my son rolled the car and the roof only collapsed from the front bar to the windshield. He's 6' in a VW GTI and there's not much space to the roof. I shutter to think what would have happened if there was just a bar. One of our competitors has an Evo in Street Mod that is wicked fast. It will take FTD at many events and I hold my breath everytime he runs because he only had a bar. This year he put a cage in it.
Don't confuse "that's the way it's always been" or "they cost to much" with "it's not important." We polish our halo many times but some have a real halo (or horns) and it could have been avoided.
My helmet is expired this year so the new one will have a neck device attached to it.
Just my .02 cents.
Joe
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!
Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
No letter here. H&N should be mandatory just like suits, belts, window nets, etc.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
I started wearing a HANS in 2005, before any sanctioning body mandated it (yea, yea, yippy for me). After the first few laps I forgot I had on. NASCRAP drivers pitched a bitch when they first had to wear them - they quickly calmed down.

What is the objection - the cost? Price is down to about $550. People who will spend thousand$ for another half-a-second balk at spending a few hundred to save their neck. :blink:

Don't get it. No letter forthcoming.

-Denny
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
Save your letters. The rule IS written in stone. That ship has sailed, the water is over the dam and we've come to the bridge and crossed it.
wheel

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
So you're saying the fat lady sang?
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
I guess that's one way of saying it. They put that puppy to bed and put a -30- on it. Over and out. Fade to black.

wheel

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:30

I guess that's one way of saying it. They put that puppy to bed and put a -30- on it. Over and out. Fade to black.

wheel

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no. And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's goooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • Brian Ghidinelli likes this

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
Now, that's funny.

Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Racing to Cure ALS

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
So the Ship has Sailed?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63
Does not apply to me. I already have a HANS.
FYI, $600 is a hell of a lot cheaper than hospice for the rest of your life when you snap your spine and become paraplegic.
$1 helmet for a $1 head?

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
You guys for this rule are in the minority. The majority of SCCA club racers are against this rule. I guess if you had your way cigerettes would be illegal along with salt and alcohol right? Because they're unsafe as well.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Save your letters. The rule IS written in stone. That ship has sailed, the water is over the dam and we've come to the bridge and crossed it.
wheel

Not from what I've heard. What's it hurt to write if you're against it?

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

You guys for this rule are in the minority. The majority of SCCA club racers are against this rule. I guess if you had your way cigerettes would be illegal along with salt and alcohol right? Because they're unsafe as well.

Minority or majority doesn't equal rights or wrong.

In general and normal daily life, I'm more on your way of thinking. As, long as hounding harm me... I don't care what you do. Cigarettes in private? Don't care. Emailing in public enclosed spaces? Now, I care... I don't want to breath their smoke.

But, as I read the death stats... it's either heart attack or h&not injury in club racing that gets you. If that impacts insurance premiums for race promoters, impacts,race costs, and ultimately the number of races, then put on your hans or stay home.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
By all means, if it will make you feel better, write. But, write to express your frustration, not with the idea that it will change the rule. You might send the letter to the Risk Management, insurance and legal departments, since they have a lot to do with this.
wheel

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I'm curious wheel, how'd you vote on this?

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
I don't care where you sit on this issue, THAT was funny!! :D

Former driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic