Rear spring rubbing on shock body
Posted 06-12-2018 05:07 PM
My questions are:
1. Is the upper seat bonded to the upper mount by design from Bilstein?
2. Is it ok to re-glue it in place, and what type of adhesive should I use?
Anyone else dealt with this before? Thanks in advance
Posted 06-12-2018 07:13 PM
I think the black threaded damper housing body you refer to is not a Bilstein part, it is just the coilover sleeve that slides over the shock. Sometimes they rub the inside of the spring if the top of the spring is not located properly in the shock hat.
To answer your questions:
1. The upper seat I think you're referring to is a FatCat part, they keep the top of the spring located in the shock hat (factory Mazda part with 2 studs on it up through the body) like you said. I guess some installers will glue them to the shock hat so they don't move when you lift the car and the suspension droops so much the springs no longer preload this upper spring mount.
2. I would use an industrial strength 2-part epoxy. Or maybe just hot glue. Or bubblegum. I never glued mine and they now find their "home" every time.
Posted 06-12-2018 07:27 PM
I tried Gorilla Glue several times with no luck. I switched to a windshield adhesive and they've been in place ever since. I think the urethane allows for a little compliance and isn't brittle like some glues or epoxies.
- Steve Scheifler and TylerQuance like this
Farmington Hills, MI
Posted 06-13-2018 07:21 AM
The spring rubbing on the shock is normal, don't worry about it
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0
Building Championship winning cars since 1995
4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017
Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017
5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's
6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder
2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder
2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)
2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)
2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief
2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)
Over 200 race wins and counting.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users