• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

One is marked "4" 

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I think they all have a 4 on them, holes marked to match balls. You wouldn’t want your balls installed wrong!
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

ya, I see 1,2,3, on them now.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

4 cages per car, 2 inner 2 outer, 1 ea per side.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Thanks

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

What's the difference between this and "blue printed"  ??

J~

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

What's the difference between this and "blue printed" ??

J~

Nothing, if you adhere to the often misrepresented definition of the term.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

You are assuming that the inboard joints are the same? I believe not. I haven’t confirmed it but I’ve been lead to understand that on the inboard end the ball does pass through the unmolested cage. Interesting, but perhaps not particularly relevant.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
If it wasn't an advantage, it wouldn't have been done. If it isn't an advantage, then it was thought to be one.

It is the aggregation of infinitesimal advantages that make a car stand out. Also known as top prep.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

If it wasn't an advantage, it wouldn't have been done. If it isn't an advantage, then it was thought to be one.

It is the aggregation of infinitesimal advantages that make a car stand out. Also known as top prep.

This is you?

BetterPhotos3.jpg

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Back to the dyno, there were posts elsewhere stating that big vaiances were observed but that they have identified a likely but non-techable issue with the engine. Not sure how it can be identified but not tech’d, but long term THAT will likely be the important story out of all this.

Never mind on that part, I misunderstood/misinterpreted. I do not know if there were notable differences on the dyno, but the references to untechable engine work was from an individual and not the result of anything checked at the nats.

Bi11

Bi11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Florida

Who got the 80,000. Who got caught cheating?Just curious

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Who got the 80,000. Who got caught cheating?Just curious

Don't know either of your questions.

NASA posted this or a letter was sent out. Go back a few pages.

https://nasaspeed.ne...championships/#

And I guess those involved are appealing.

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Anybody else receive this today?

Thank you for joining us at the 2018 NASA Championships and Toyo Tires Classic race.

As you know, the results have been held as provisional because of the post-race inspection process. The NASA technical team worked very hard to ensure compliance with the rules and found certain parts on competitors’ cars to be non-compliant. The technical team spent additional time after the event to consult with independent experts and submit the parts for evaluation.

NASA has confirmed their findings in the linked white paper below and has notified competitors who are subject to penalties. Competitors have the right to an Executive Appeal and some of the drivers, in this case, have requested that hearing. With that in mind, we ask that you remain patient so work can be done to give everyone the rights and fairness afforded to them. We will release the official results as soon as this final hearing is concluded.

We appreciate your support and hope you had a good experience at Circuit of The Americas. As you have seen in the past, controversy in racing often creates a political backlash or efforts to damage the reputation of one side or another. It is our hope that everyone can look at this as NASA's desire to do the best possible job to enforce the rules and nothing else. As a competitor, you expect a sanctioning body to ensure fairness and remain objective. We want each and every one of you to know that principle is paramount in this entire process.

Sincerely-

National Auto Sport Association

Bump

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
It is.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

My comment from Face Book. If the rules do not have a specific go, No go, spec or limitation, and the rules permit after market, re manufactured parts, that do not require a purchase from a specific vendor or likewise do not have a spec outlined, then any DQ by nasa would not be based on the rules IMO.

If your going to issue a penalty such as this you would have to do so under the circumstances that competitors were on notice they were non compliant. Unless they can confirm that all reman axle's out there that the balls would NOT pass through the cage  then they cannot DQ for a part that potentially is compliant under the rule. 

• Jim Drago and tylerbrown like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
So Frank, I can machine any part I like as long as the rules don't specify a go/no go dimension or tolerance?

If you are saying that these weren't machined and came as unmodified reman parts, then it should be up to the competitor to provide the common source so NASA can buy off the shelf and compare against. Maybe this is what is happening. I don't know.

But if machining is now allowed, there are plenty of things that are now wide open to play with.
  • powerss likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Steve, I'm so sorry my words a couple pages ago were not specific words of the rule.

NASA rule, "Replacement parts not specified by these rules must be OEM or the exact equivalent."

• rayce13 likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

So Frank, I can machine any part I like as long as the rules don't specify a go/no go dimension or tolerance?

If you are saying that these weren't machined and came as unmodified reman parts, then it should be up to the competitor to provide the common source so NASA can buy off the shelf and compare against. Maybe this is what is happening. I don't know.

But if machining is now allowed, there are plenty of things that are now wide open to play with.

No that is not what I am saying. I am saying if the rules do not have a spec tolerance of the questioned part AND they allow that part to be purchased after market with no detailed spec, they cannot rely on part matching with OEM parts to issue a DQ.

If the rules are that you are NOT allowed to use after market parts then this is a totally different story. But if you open it up to after market parts and reman parts. If i were to legally buy a china part that is out of spec i should not be DQ'd

That is my point

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Steve, I'm so sorry my words a couple pages ago were not specific words of the rule.

NASA rule, "Replacement parts not specified by these rules must be OEM or the exact equivalent."

“Exact equivalent”. Think about that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users