ooldguy

ooldguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:93

Is there any organization in the Midwest running SSM or the Heritage Cars ?

I asked SVRA and they stated that they're only running the Mazda Heritage cars at the 6 specific Mazda of America supported events

I called Mazda Motorsports and they said there isn't a decision at this time if they're going to continue the " Heritage Series " for the 2019 season

I e-mailed the Chicago Region SCCA with no reply

I e-mailed the Milwaukee Region SCCA, they requested a rule set and participation numbers, I sent the info from the SCCA NE and DC Regions. They may consider it

I've brought it up, more than once, to Midwestern Council who were not enthusiastic about the prospect of the Mazda Heritage cars running in their Vintage Group

I asked Dave Wheeler for help with this idea in the Midwest, however, Mr. Wheeler has recently, passed away

I'd guess the Heritage cars would be a good fit for a Vintage Group. Is anyone aware of a race organization allowing the Heritage cars or SSM ?

Planning my 2019 season

thanks,

Robert Dudek

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98

Northeast runs SM2, that's SM without NB cars. same the Heritage cup.

Southeast runs SMSE, but that's limited to 1.6 cars.

tjohn67

tjohn67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67

HSR will allow the NA cars to run in Group 8, I recall.  Up in the Chicago area that would include The Hawk at Road America.  The Heritage Cup also runs at RA and Mid Ohio in June with SVRA. 

ooldguy

ooldguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Mazda of North America just told me they are undecided if they're supporting the heritage Cup in 2019

ooldguy

ooldguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

HSR's classing structure looks like what I'd have in mind

The hard part  -  they appear to only be in the East  -  a 2500 - 3000 mi. tow doesn't, exactly, " set me on fire "

An HSR format in the Midwest would be perfect !  

tjohn67

tjohn67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67
The SVRA 19 schedule has the Heritage Cup listed on its website. Sure hope Mazda supports it again. It was a great value, good fun and decent fields. I did two of their events last year, both in the southeast. Left my rig in Atlanta for the 6 weeks between races.

Bul Winkle

Bul Winkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:66

Lots of comments regarding Mazda's support/non-support in 2019. Is there any wavering from SVRA to change their program plans, either in 2019 or going forward? 

This may sound like a shameless plug, and my apologies. It's only being thrown up as an option. I have no sin in the game here, other than to increase the competitive pool of 1.6s in a good arena.

I took the car to VDCA event at Roebling Road in December, as much to get a shakedown on a new car as to get a little winter butt time in the car. It ran with several other "proper vintage" cars, but there were five SM6's in the group. Great fun, but they treat it as ITA more than SM, so no SM7 tires are allowed. I borrowed a set, and got over it. I reached out to VDCA's Mike Jackson this afternoon, and got the following:

"VDCA has, and will continue to welcome entrants with Gen 1 Miatas (Their initial focus is only the 1.6, but that could change - grj).  Like most of the others, there is no contingency from Mazda, consequently entrants will be paying the same entry fee as every other class.  Our only significantly different rule from SVRA is that we insist on all cars running on treaded tires.  SM7s tires with the circumferential grooves are not allowed.  While we are happy to give you a thumbs up/down on any tire you wish to ask about you can be your own first filter by asking yourself the question "does that look like a treaded tire?"  As many of you may know, what we now call Spec Miata started as an Improved Touring class in SCCA with the same tire rules that remain today with every other IT class." - Mike Jackson - VDCA Race Director VDCA@earthlink.net

It's still Southeast operation, but there are a lot of track similarities, and good value for the amount of track time. Get those 1.6s out of the garage!!

Bul Winkle

"Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Checked the schedule at SVRA...

https://svra.com/events/

Roebling Road Raceway - Bloomingdale, GA

"This event launches the 2019 Mazda Miata Heritage Cup series for first generation 1.6 & 1.8 Mazda Miatas."

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Looking at the RRR SVRA Sprint races and the Heritage cup are both $350.00. At Road America the SVRA Sprint member is $595.00, non-member $675.00 and Heritage Cup is $350.00. Didn't look at track time for either. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

I don't get the point in taking an SM to vintage. It's a Miata, not a collector race car. 

http://jenkinsracing.com

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

I don't get the point in taking an SM to vintage. It's a Miata, not a collector race car. 

IIRC from last years SVRA Heritage Cup at Road America:

Point A. Thursday test day, Fri., Sat., Sun for approx. half the cost of SVRA Sprint races. Several session test day, 2 Qualifying sessions and 2 races for approx. $350.00

Point B. SM race group

Point C. When one can race with the top 5 from that weekend, one is doing quite well.

Marc Cefalo

Anthony Fornetti
Voytek Burdzy
Mike Winebrenner
Tom Brown

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
More to the point of his question, vintage racing isn’t just about rare over-priced toys of the rich and foolish. Those may be what draw spectators to the bigger events but obviously any race car of a certain age can be vintage if not “historic” (and by HSR rules a car can be historic but not yet “vintage”). And even outside spec classes the Miata has had enough success to be noteworthy.

Even more to the point, an irresistible source of fresh blood and entry fees.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

i mean we have SM2 or SSM or maybe both in central division, but i have not seen many folks run it. i have yet to find an actual central division, divisional class rule book though that details all available classes, but thats a pet project ... 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

If SVRA wants a full field of Miata's (and a great show) they should run a SM multi class, SM, SSM, soup to nuts...no ITA.

But then again, whats so hard to go back to SM config?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

I can see the entry fee advantage, but not much past that. Are people really that afraid of bump drafting? It's one of the best parts of racing an SM.

I guess having an SM field would be more interesting than the typical rolling car show at the vintage "races".

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I mean, who doesn't enjoy the thrill of replacing fenders and suspension parts, the sweet smell of bondo and autobody paint, and the fresh start of a re-tub?

Why would anyone want to do no-contact racing?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

I mean, who doesn't enjoy the thrill of replacing fenders and suspension parts, the sweet smell of bondo and autobody paint, and the fresh start of a re-tub?

Why would anyone want to do no-contact racing?

I guess my point was "no-contact" SM racing is an oxy moron. :) There is a special place in my heart for the thrill of buying 1 gallon cans of bondo as well.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
No contact SM racing is the BEST kind of SM racing. Playing bumper cars doesn't take any particular skill. Racing hard without crashing each other's shit does take skill.

SVRA visits RA. Give it a try. I bet you'll have fun.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Martinracing98

Martinracing98

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

No contact SM racing is the BEST kind of SM racing. Playing bumper cars doesn't take any particular skill. Racing hard without crashing each other's shit does take skill.

The ability to make contact results in some of the closest racing. Open wheel have to give each other more space. Still I agree that when contact is avoided while being close it is the best racing. Moto GP, and Sprint Car both have great racing with very little contact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users