-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:31

Looking for advice on the following situation. Coming out of T11 @Cota with no yellows until 3/4down the track. I backed off as  I didn't think I had  completed the pass, nor wanting to be accepting of a penalty, but certainly initiated well before I saw the yellow flag and then error'ed on the side of caution.

GCR says perpendicular to the flag and then to the incident, but nothing to initiating the pass and overtake beforehand as your cross the yellow (I think) - before I could have known something was amiss downstream...

Did I give up a potential spot or was I right in backing off?

I know my steering wheel is off center....

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

In my opinion, you made the pass way before the yellow on the left. 

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

you were ahead, no need to back off

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

To me, the pass was made and you were already ahead.

http://jenkinsracing.com

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
In a real racing org like scca you were good to go. In a bullshit org like Nasa you would be ridiculed at the next drivers meeting and dq’d without ever being informed of the issue or given a chance to share your side
  • Jim Drago, trimless, Brian Linn and 2 others like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Someone is still bent.

Cars dont hydroplane at scca events either. They walk on water.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

I'll chalk this up to my need to just go faster and stop being a pussy. Clearly my speed was there this weekend but my desire for car preservation and it being my second only SCCA event led me to want to stay away from contact/rule infractions.

Thanks guys!

• Bench Racer and Jim Drago like this

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Someone is still bent.

Cars dont hydroplane at scca events either. They walk on water.

My response was a reference to a real life Nasa Texas passing under yellow issue we had a few years ago. After the event people noticed they were penalized for passing under yellow. They were never informed of the issue ect. Then at the next drivers meeting the race director stood in front of the group cussing and making fun of the drivers involved. The car being past was broken and never finished the lap. It was off line and there was no incident anywhere in site. 2 of the drivers were so upset that they never came back.
  • Jim Drago, trimless and tferranti like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

^^ This exact situation, and another similar last year, was the basis for my concern so I chose to error on the side of caution as the benefit wasn't worth the risk.

• Jamz14 likes this

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
NASA passing rules hurt racing,and hurt cars in general. The passing heading towards a yellow states the car must be completely clear of the car being passed. In my opinion that is crazy. I understand not racing in a yellow. I understand not passing in a yellow but if I am mostly passed a guy and we get to a yellow corner it is safer and smarter for that guy to get in line behind me rather than me drastically slowing and letting him back by potentially being side by side into a bad spot.
  • William Keeling, Jim Drago, trimless and 2 others like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Chris, I respect you big time. But if you are truly limiting your response to an incident in one region then you are throwing the baby out with the bath water when you slam all of NASA as a fake racing org for your experience. And I for one disagree. Much safer for you to slow than to force the issue with a questionable pass completion. The answer should always to slow and give way if there is a question when it comes to yellow flags.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
P has the right response even if he is correct in that the pass was complete; error on the side of caution. Why be all right and all f;d up at the same time?

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
And, if you know that's the rule going into it, that the pass has to be completed with you in front of the other car then it's still on you if you don't do that and you chose to take the track and if you choose to initiate the pass knowing you can't complete it per THEIR rules. Bothers me when people know the definition of the rule but get bent when it bites then when they dont comply.

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Car Number:11

My response was a reference to a real life Nasa Texas passing under yellow issue we had a few years ago. After the event people noticed they were penalized for passing under yellow. They were never informed of the issue ect. Then at the next drivers meeting the race director stood in front of the group cussing and making fun of the drivers involved. The car being past was broken and never finished the lap. It was off line and there was no incident anywhere in site. 2 of the drivers were so upset that they never came back.

I believe that my 1.6 was in P1 at that TWS race. When we came up  on that RX7 rolling along at about 12 mph we were exiting out of turn 4 at about 75. We all slowed and passed that car due to his excessively slow-ass speed and once past the YF incident a race broke out again.   I explained that to the race director when we came into tech and all was good per his response.   That post race DQ soured me on racing for a few months.

G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Are we sharing yellow flag stories? Same kind of deal for me once, a yellow flag at T1 but between it and the incident was an unrelated wounded car in limp mode going maybe 10 on the far right. I slowed but went by on the left rather than stack up the field behind him. I got black flagged out of 1st in class. At least a post-race DQ can be appealed. (This was not NASA)
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Being predictable and not suddenly bailing out on an almost complete pass is the safest in my opinion. 100% completing a pass is a rule that might work for some classes, but in SM where every car essentially going the same speed I don't see how it can work...

• -P- and Steve Scheifler like this

http://jenkinsracing.com

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

My X-Factor Racing kitty was telling me to go faster and he's the final judge. ;)

• Jim Drago, Michael Colangelo and Samuel J like this

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

LOL im freaking dying at Chris' and Jamz's comments. This is some quality content right here boys.

#MakeMazdaracersGreatAgain

• Jim Drago and lillyweld like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ppridday

ppridday

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Land O' Lakes

Just be fat and slow like me.  Then you don't have to worry about passing anyone.  No passing/No penalty!

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
There's someone in my head, but it's not me....
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

LOL im freaking dying at Chris' and Jamz's comments. This is some quality content right here boys.

#MakeMazdaracersGreatAgain

Easily amused.
  • Danica Davison likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users