22 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I have seen decisions in both organizations that I called BULLSHIT! Neither have rules all agree with and both have people who dont have a clue at times what they are talking about...often making assumptions without facts. In the end, understanding the rules of whichever organization you are running with is your best defense(agree James!)...brings to mind the line of an old song..."I fought the law and the law won"

Not sure what goes on in Texas NASA but I'm sure Chris's description is accurate. And if he(or others)did not have an opportunity to appeal...shame on those officials in charge at the time. All drivers have the right to appeal! Only decisions(I think) that can not be appealed(in either org)  that I'm aware of are those by the SCCA SM compliance team. 

NASA's commitment to avoid double yellows when at all possible I'm sure has something to do with how their rules are written. An extra degree of safety when trucks and personnel may be on the ground right over a blind hill is a good thing. The severe penalties NASA can/does impose has everything to do with letting all drivers know to pay fffing attention! Avoiding a potential tragedy is way more important than completing a pass. I've only seen SCCA enter a hot track once and that didn't go so well :(

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

NASA's commitment to avoid double yellows when at all possible I'm sure has something to do with how their rules are written. An extra degree of safety when trucks and personnel may be on the ground right over a blind hill is a good thing. The severe penalties NASA can/does impose has everything to do with letting all drivers know to pay fffing attention! Avoiding a potential tragedy is way more important than completing a pass. I've only seen SCCA enter a hot track once and that didn't go so well :(

Well IMO opinion, NASA's procedure is not a good one.. They don't want to throw a double yellow andt penalize you if you pass under yellow when even questionable. The lack of full course caution made the champs a bit of a joke, it was a perfect example of this. At one point in that race EVERY corner was yellow... MANY laps where MOST corners were yellow.  That made racing challenging at best and very much follow the leader.. Not what I would expect in a Championship race. My video is up, see ffor yourself

Been watching SCCA do hot pulls for 15 years, saw incidents twice, Where Crispin played demo derby into the Gale at Turn 1 at Road America and where Bill Agha lost against the wrecker at Sonoma...  I like those odds far better than driving around follow the leader and penalize if close 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Right on cue :) Agree with you...at certain times and situations there is a better alternative. I was simply pointing out why the rules may be written different. I guess SCCA Norcal is an exception...I just dont remeber seeing equipment or personnel on a hot track. Frankly, double yellow is the safest! But often it leads to the opposite complaints when you get 3 laps of racing...nothing is perfect!

• Jamz14 likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users