• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

If I were starting out like you I would only really focus on three things: size, power (electrical service good enough for welder and big air compressor), and HVAC. You could prepare the cement to handle a lift, but I would hold off on that expense until you know you have the time to commit to car setup and maintenance. If you want some easier lifting mean while just buy a set of Quick Jacks. They work awesome and are mobile so you can bring to the track.

Keep in mind if you have a prep shop near by you can probably get your car scaled and setup for ~$300. You could have your car setup a lot of times for the cost of a lift and scale setup.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Keep in mind if you have a prep shop near by you can probably get your car scaled and setup for ~$300. You could have your car setup a lot of times for the cost of a lift and scale setup.

Crush, you need to go back and reread the guy code rule book. Never take a dump on another guy’s rationale for buying guy stuff.

Besides, each of those ~$300 will look like money thrown away if/when he finally does decide to buy his own equipment. For someone likely to deal with setup once or twice per season I advise looking for a shop. If someone is planning to tweak and change setup for each track and adjust at the track, then I’d advise DIY so you can do a careful post-race session and record where everything ended up.

Of course, it all comes down to finances, interests and convenience. I want to do my tasks on my schedule without having to drag the car somewhere. That’s how I ended up with a lift, scales and even a dyno. But, I never bought tire mount & balance equipment because there’s a guy right there who does an excellent job for $15 each. I mark everything as needed and stack them in his space then send him a text. Unlike the dyno I could have paid off used tire equipment more than once by now but it offers a low DIY satisfaction return on the time investment. Whatever floats your boat!
  • Danny Steyn likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Grassroots Motorsports magazine has a nice, multi-part series on building a garage just for "car stuff".

From slab to walls/roof to outfitting the interior, they covered it all.

My biggest recommendation would be dedicated compressed air, tall enough (12' ceilings) for lift(s), lighting, lighting, lighting, enough receptacles around the walls, and at least a 10' workbench and storage.

I've got some of my own ideas, and I'm pretty good with Visio and know a bit about code, and would be willing to lend a hand to get you started.

Fun!!

• manthony121 likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

Grassroots Motorsports magazine has a nice, multi-part series on building a garage just for "car stuff".

From slab to walls/roof to outfitting the interior, they covered it all.

My biggest recommendation would be dedicated compressed air, tall enough (12' ceilings) for lift(s), lighting, lighting, lighting, enough receptacles around the walls, and at least a 10' workbench and storage.

I've got some of my own ideas, and I'm pretty good with Visio and know a bit about code, and would be willing to lend a hand to get you started.

Fun!!

I found the Grassroots Motorsports article series you mentioned, and it is a real treasure trove of useful information.  Thank you for calling my attention to it.  For anyone else interested, the series is called, "Project Backyard Shop", and consists of 7 articles in all.  It's a very useful reference for someone like me, with ZERO experience in these things!

BTW, thank you to everyone else who has weighed in on this question.  All of your suggestions have been very helpful.  I'm still at the "intending to some day soon come up with an actual plan" stage.  I'll keep y'all posted as things progress.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Crush, you need to go back and reread the guy code rule book. Never take a dump on another guy’s rationale for buying guy stuff.

Besides, each of those ~$300 will look like money thrown away if/when he finally does decide to buy his own equipment. For someone likely to deal with setup once or twice per season I advise looking for a shop. If someone is planning to tweak and change setup for each track and adjust at the track, then I’d advise DIY so you can do a careful post-race session and record where everything ended up.

Of course, it all comes down to finances, interests and convenience. I want to do my tasks on my schedule without having to drag the car somewhere. That’s how I ended up with a lift, scales and even a dyno. But, I never bought tire mount & balance equipment because there’s a guy right there who does an excellent job for $15 each. I mark everything as needed and stack them in his space then send him a text. Unlike the dyno I could have paid off used tire equipment more than once by now but it offers a low DIY satisfaction return on the time investment. Whatever floats your boat!

For me its not about the cost or the savings of it, its about convenience and the fun on doing it yourself, and getting good at it. I have a tire machine and balancer I am sure I will never be able to cost justify it, but SO WHAT.,  I have my own scales I am sure i have paid for those however if not in out right fees I have in the time saved for sure has paid off.

• Danny Steyn, mellen, Michael Novak and 1 other like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users