CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

This article describes racers and hackers developing self-driving cars on Thunderhill raceway.

I don't want human-driven racing to go away, but what these guys are doing is cool.

Gentlemen, Start Your  Algorithms

A racetrack veteran compares the Self Racing Cars contest in California to hot-rod modders of old: “This event, with its hackers, tinkerers and engineers, is just like that.”

https://nyti.ms/2VElJiO

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I have been taking part in that for the last 4 years.  I trained a couple of cars to drive the line, get lidar data for analysis, given people thrill rides etc.  It's lots of fun.

Here's last year's coverage on TechCrunch where I make a cameo appearance with my dog at 1:56 :)

https://techcrunch.c...ving-car-races/

• CruzanTom likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Ok, how many laps does it take to feel natural in one of these autonomous cars?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Many :)

It's hard enough being in the right seat on track with a human driver let alone in the driver seat not touching the steering wheel or pedals...

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I'm going to derail this a little...or maybe just go sideways. The old saying..."be careful what you wish for" is blaring in my ears! The constant effort to find away to make life simpler/easier...or have things done for us...IMO is the beginning of the end! I could probably retire wealthy if I could invent a device that would hold my d$ck while I'm half asleep in the AM to keep everything headed toward the bowl opening...bonus if a little happy ending was in order :help:

I had a reason to walk through our local mall recently to pick something up(Sears...which wont be with us long)and 50-75% of the Zombies and kids were walking and staring at their phones...god help us :wacko: Dinner and cocktails with your friends has a whole new meaning...sadly :(

• Alberto and Waterboy like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Driverless racing has been a thing for years - I see it all the time at the track. 

I'm accepting donations to buy Ron a rocking chair. Cracker Barrel has some really nice ones.

• Ron Alan, Alberto and Danny Steyn like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Everyone, I have nothing negative relative to ingenious design. On the other hand following Ron's thoughts, what kind of drivers will be in our future talking about driver cars, with all the devices which warn, stop and whatever else. I suspect todays new drivers in these sensor cars will be doing less and less thinking while their driving, the same as Ron's  Zombies don't watch where their walking.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Everyone, I have nothing negative relative to ingenious design. On the other hand following Ron's thoughts, what kind of drivers will be in our future talking about driver cars, with all the devices which warn, stop and whatever else. I suspect todays new drivers in these sensor cars will be doing less and less thinking while their driving, the same as Ron's  Zombies don't watch where their walking.

The overwhelming majority of the world population not knowing how to ride a horse these days is a real problem, isn't it.

• Alberto likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

The overwhelming majority of the world population not knowing how to ride a horse these days is a real problem, isn't it.

Your additive comments are always a pleasure.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

My prediction is in the not too distance future piloting ones own vehicle will be a thing of the past, being replaced by shuttle drones. Just like in the movie Demolition Man. Oh yeah, and all restaurants will be Taco Bell.

I LOVE Ron Zombie!!! Rock and Roll.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

My prediction is in the not too distance future piloting ones own vehicle will be a thing of the past, being replaced by shuttle drones. Just like in the movie Demolition Man. Oh yeah, and all restaurants will be Taco Bell.

You should invest in toilet paper :)

• LarryKing likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users