B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
Just wondering what's the smallest enclosed trailer size that 2 cars can fit into?
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Ernie Cole

Ernie Cole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:32

I have a 28' V-Nose enclosed trailer and while I haven't technically had 2 SM's in it, 1 SM and a Polaris Ranger (about 2' shorter than a SM) is a very tight fit. 

Not sure if 2 SM's would fit without touching and if they did it would be pretty difficult to strap. I would recommend something a few fit longer (especially if it is a V-Nose) if you plan on hauling 2 cars regularly. 

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Considering the Miata is about 13' in length, a 28' trailer is probably going to be the absolute minimum.  Even then, you'll probably need to use wheel nets to secure the cars due to how little room you'll have - http://www.macscusto.../Tie-Down-Packs

You could also get a stacker but I know little about those...

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dc2696

dc2696

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:Edmonton
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:96

I've done two cars in my 24', need to use ramps to overlap the cars a little.

- the faster you go

- the longer you live

FE3 Miata

NB2 SM

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Don’t overlook load ratings for axels and available wheels & tires. Even ignoring other issues from overloading, blowing tires is a very real problem.
  • Mark, callumhay and lillyweld like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

Don't forget about the tools, tires, etc. Two cars means twice the race tires and wheels. Most two axle trailers are not going to have the payload capacity necessary to haul two miatas and gear. If you can swing it, a 24' stacker is much more ideal. Lots of room for cars and gear and a lift at the track. You are everyone's friend suddenly. My next choice would be a gooseneck. 40' or better. Either way a stout tow vehicle is a necessity. The logistics of moving multiple cars at once is substantial. 

For tie downs in limited space - etrack on the floor with clip in tie downs works great. Strap either to the tow hooks or over the top wheels. Over the wheels can be a bear though as it is hard to get the straps over the top of the tire with such low cars and not much room to work with on the side of the car. 

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Back in the early days of SM, Tom Kraft used two open trailers in tandem. Yep, a regular tow hitch ball mounted on the rear of one trailer with a second trailer attached to that. Seemed to work fine but I never saw him trying to back that rig up very far!
  • Tom Sager and callumhay like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Camaro67racer

Camaro67racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:20

Kuch, talk to Mike Novak. I think his trailer is a 30' and it's just enough to fit both cars and tires. They tow with the RV so that's where they keep most of the tools. Anyway, he should have some good insight.

Jon Yanca

2003 SM

Former cars:
2010 MX-5 T4

2001 SM

1996 SM

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

I have a 30' featherlite.  Two cars tied down by the wheels a scooter, trans, and some other items on the floor---tires and extra parts in racking works well. You can do the same with a 28" just even tighter---anything less would be VERY hard.

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:35

Back in the early days of SM, Tom Kraft used two open trailers in tandem. Yep, a regular tow hitch ball mounted on the rear of one trailer with a second trailer attached to that. Seemed to work fine but I never saw him trying to back that rig up very far!

Is there a DOT regulation on how many times you can hook trailer to trailer? You see some UPS trucks doing the same thing. Or is doing this just limited by man-balls or natural selection on the road? :)

Cal

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

"The 13 states that allow triple trailers are mostly in the West, where roads are flat and straight: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota and Utah." 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
Thanks guys,I have to figure out what I'm going to do. For this year we're just going to use two trucks and two trailers but would like to go to a single set up for next year.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Pat Mcg

Pat Mcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Region:Central Kentucky
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:8

Kuch...   You gotta go with one of those renegade show haulers..   Go big brother!  Go big!

Raw Knuckles

Raw Knuckles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Neohio SCCA
  • Car Number:73

Hey Kuch, check with Reed Kryder.  He purchased an ATC and has hauled two cars for a number of events.  I believe he bought a 40' triple axle gooseneck.  I'm sure he'll be happy to share his insights.  I have a 28' ATC tag and can't imagine putting two Miatas in it.  I used to haul two Stuart Taylors in a 28' tag, but they were only about 11' long per car.

Bob MacDonald

Raw Knuckles Racing

Neohio Region SCCA

Impact Communications

Camaro67racer

Camaro67racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:20

Thanks guys,I have to figure out what I'm going to do. For this year we're just going to use two trucks and two trailers but would like to go to a single set up for next year.

Hauling two cars, you're gonna need more truck than that saggy Toyota 1/2 ton   :scratchchin:

Jon Yanca

2003 SM

Former cars:
2010 MX-5 T4

2001 SM

1996 SM

RacerJason99

RacerJason99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:Cal Club
  • Car Number:48

Hauling two cars, you're gonna need more truck than that saggy Toyota 1/2 ton   :scratchchin:

1/2 ton Toyota, made it to Road America and back without missing a beat.

1185062_451620448284422_1604883590_n.jpg

• Tom Sager likes this

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

^How long is that trailer?  Would shorter work?

Nice FC btw :)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

^How long is that trailer?  Would shorter work?

Nice FC btw :)

Cut it out, when he was connected he had a semi.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Krafty

Krafty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:mid west
  • Car Number:46

I still have a two car stacker open trailer available. Hauls two Miata's and has plenty of room for more stuff. $4,500.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I still have a two car stacker open trailer available. Hauls two Miata's and has plenty of room for more stuff. $4,500.

Hi Tom! :wave:

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users