10 replies to this topic

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

After some head scratching we decided to repair my car after Kyle and I got tangled up at Road Atlanta in April. OPM farms all their body and paint work to a local father-son team (Glen and Vic) who work exclusively on race cars, some of them an order of magnitude more expensive than a Spec Miata. Their attention to detail makes me wonder if they know they are working on a SM. Vic is in the process of becoming internet-famous so if you enjoy his videos of my car being repaired, subscribe to his channel.

Part I

Part 2

Alan

• Alberto, Bench Racer, Danny Steyn and 6 others like this

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

excellent work, i have been following the videos an grew up in a body shop, so its fun watching these guys do their stuff 30-40 years later

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Alan, I too have been following along. For some reason I find these car repair videos so interesting. I have been a long time subscriber to Arthur Tussick's channel, he is a Russian body shop guy and his work is nothing short of amazing to watch 

here is a sample 

• Jim Drago and Adax like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

That is a lot of work. Is it really cheaper than a retub?

http://jenkinsracing.com

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

That is a lot of work. Is it really cheaper than a retub?

Yes, but it's not that simple and the math probably varies with each person's situation. If this had happened at the end of the season giving me the winter to do all the re-tub myself, then yes, it would have probably been cheaper. In reality, I don't have a caged donor sitting around and would need to pay for labor to do the re-tub. It would have taken much longer than fixing this one, and cost about 50% more.

We looked at all the options and this one got me back on track the cheapest.

Alan

• Jim Drago and Danny Steyn like this

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Thanks for the link Danny. That guy is a true sculptor.

• Danny Steyn likes this

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Cool vids.  I always wondered how that sort of work was performed.

One question though... How much HP do you think you'll lose from switching from red subframes to blacksubframes? Red is faster of course... ;)

• mellen likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Wow, I cant even imagine what the bill is going be, makes me think hard about ever coming back to Atlanta to race after causing that kind of carnage to your car Alan.  We are both very lucky to have avoided a trip to the hospital though.  

And I am still very sorry Alan! Hope you get her back soon and have a very successful rest of the season.

• Bench Racer, Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and 4 others like this

K. Webb