Photo

Is it just me or does random tech seem not so random?

- - - - - Tech Inspections

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Tom, I get what you are saying. But I don't hear people saying that wasn't my shaft. If so, no problem. But Jim and Chris don't seem to be saying that. They are saying they are allowed to machine their shafts. Jim, no we shouldn't let tech off the hook and allow competitors to be harassed. My point is that that seems a technicality that doesn't seem to be critically relevant when there doesnt seem to be a dispute that your shaft and Chris shaft were "remanned" (altered). And bench is right, disingenuous to say that it was allowed before cota. It was allowed specifically after cota. Imo, mostly to give the bird to NASA. It was not specifically allowed prior to.

I can reman and service a shaft without grinding. How about oil pumps? Can I reman the oil pump and grind away the openings?

I can reman and service a shaft without grinding.

but its so much more fun if there someone to grind with

• Jamz14 likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Chris, are you asking who decides if they get torn down? If so, it can happen two different routes; tech inspector, any competitor can pay $25 to have a specific part to a specific rule looked at. I do think, don't know for sure, that if found compliant the person that requested it has to pay for the tear down and rebuild.

that's not what he is asking :scratchchin:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Jim, maybe I am wrong but I didn't see power numbers above 130 being touted 8 years ago.

But I am often wrong.

This is just silly.  What dyno, what atmospherics, what engine.............

The damn things are nearly the same, they have had to work 2x as hard to get the same results but these things are tapped out.  The last car to be truly buffed up with the builders was the VVT and I promise you the VVT wins the Runoffs this year.  It is maxed out finally after 6-7 years of trying to figure out how to keep the damn things happy. 

• SpecMiataManDrama likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Back to the thought of random.  If the tech guys had no idea who built the engine, what engines would be teched?   

If you want to understand the gotcha mentality of NASA ask Jim what it was like to win a race and then be told he didn't have the proper patch on so he was DQ'd when the directors new damn well that he didn't have it on and didn't say anything during, warmup or qual. 

I get it a rule is a rule but the arbitrary nature to which they are applied by NASA is ridiculous. 

I admittedly chuckled a little at the time as I was pissed at Jim, but my own petty behavior shouldn't be the standard of a "professional" organization. 

• Jason J Ball and Jim Drago like this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Tom, I get what you are saying. But I don't hear people saying that wasn't my shaft. If so, no problem. But Jim and Chris don't seem to be saying that. They are saying they are allowed to machine their shafts. Jim, no we shouldn't let tech off the hook and allow competitors to be harassed. My point is that that seems a technicality that doesn't seem to be critically relevant when there doesnt seem to be a dispute that your shaft and Chris shaft were "remanned" (altered). And bench is right, disingenuous to say that it was allowed before cota. It was allowed specifically after cota. Imo, mostly to give the bird to NASA. It was not specifically allowed prior to.

I can reman and service a shaft without grinding. How about oil pumps? Can I reman the oil pump and grind away the openings?

The guys were kicked out because a technicality :)  We will not agree here james.. It is not right or fair for either the competitor or sanctioning body to break the rules. You can't just explain it away and say its OK because we got the bad guys. The rules are there for a reason on both sides.  Both sides should be equally accountable. I guess we will agree to disagree here although you have no case.  I have stated for the record after the appeal was final that I did mine with intentions of making them looser for real or potential benefit. Not denying that or dancing around it, I cant and wont speak for others.  But as I said hundred of times and done after this one. You can't allow remanns to be done and not allow me to do the same thing. Spec a stock axle only if that is all you what you want permitted. Send in a letter requesting.   Unfortunately that is NOT, was not the rule when we ran the NASA champs, nor is it now.  

Jim, maybe I am wrong but I didn't see power numbers above 130 being touted 8 years ago.

But I am often wrong.

Sure you did, I believe that was before the smaller plates?  I don't see many now.  How many 130's did you see at Nasa champs? I think my 126 was king? 

Why does a remanned shaft NEED to be ground?

Why do you need to surface a flywheel? Brake rotors? You are right, you don't need to.. But removes imperfections and makes a better finished product  

And to your next question.. Well why do you machine your flywheel down to min weight instead of just until its flat?  :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

If you want to understand the gotcha mentality of NASA ask Jim what it was like to win a race and then be told he didn't have the proper patch on so he was DQ'd when the directors new damn well that he didn't have it on and didn't say anything during, warmup or qual. 

You mean when I was ripped off the podium literally like a criminal because the duct tape came off my SCCA patch but was still on covering my Hoosier patch? In front of my wife, daughter and two couples that we invited to come watch the race?  Yeah that was "fun"  :)

• Cnj, JRHille, tylerbrown and 1 other like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

MPR22, we call BS :bs: .  We really know you're sole purpose is to get the instigator badge.

Is it just me or does it seem that the tech officials seem to have a builder dujour that they "randomly" tech at the big events.  I have seen Dragos cars targeted, I have seen X-Factor cars targeted and I assume Rossini has been targeted in the past.

It doesn't seem very random when they pull 3 random cars from the same builder at one event. 

At this point I am not sure who would race NASA as their tech process has been shown to be uber flawed.  Even if they don't follow their own rules they have a couple of lines in the CCR that basically say all decisions are final and there are no trials, no appeals just a firing squad.  

SCCA has a much more structured protocol of infractions, appeals and more appeals. At a minimum you at least get your day in court.  I applaud the SCCA for trying hard to keep up with all the latest cheats and to keep things clean but If what was suggested over on another page is true and NASA's liaison to the SMAC is directing the SCCA's testing does that taint the SCCA with NASA's stink?   

And as a friend of mine once said, "I do zero weekends with NASA because they SUCK!"

truth be told, I was executed without trial or appeal, so they SUCK!.  

All tech should have written guide lines that the officials can follow.  Random Inspections should be truly random.  Allow you the right to defend yourself/car in some sort of appeals process.   

• Cnj, Bench Racer, Jim Drago and 1 other like this

Toby Linder

powered by X-Factor Racing

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Tom, I get what you are saying. But I don't hear people saying that wasn't my shaft. If so, no problem. But Jim and Chris don't seem to be saying that. They are saying they are allowed to machine their shafts. Jim, no we shouldn't let tech off the hook and allow competitors to be harassed. My point is that that seems a technicality that doesn't seem to be critically relevant when there doesnt seem to be a dispute that your shaft and Chris shaft were "remanned" (altered).

I have a different perspective. An organization the prescribes rules of conduct it is expected to follow them. Especially in a situation like that where you are going to take away a significant contingency. You better do it by the book. It better be by clear rule violations that everyone is on notice of. The harm that results is the loss of credibility of the organization. Because if the organization can't follow the process and the written rule,  its becomes Random, which is my way of bringing this comment back to the topic of the post, lol.

• MPR22 and Jim Drago like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

They did not feel anyway possible to make that call with 100% certainty. 

Potato, Patato

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Tom, I get what you are saying.

No. You clearly do not.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Chris, are you asking who decides if they get torn down? If so, it can happen two different routes; tech inspector, any competitor can pay $25 to have a specific part to a specific rule looked at. I do think, don't know for sure, that if found compliant the person that requested it has to pay for the tear down and rebuild.

No. Chris is asking who does the physical act of inspection and determining compliance. If Xav inspects his own engine.... There might be a conflict of interest.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

MPR22, we call BS :bs: . We really know you're sole purpose is to get the instigator badge.

He's not gonna get it with as polite as he is being!

-tch

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

In the interest of transparency.. I think it is common knowledge I was not too happy after Atlanta when they pulled me, Preston and Danny in for Tear down at 3:00 in the afternoon on a Sunday with both Pardus and I having 8-10 hr drives ahead. What further bothered me was in last 12 months or so less Runoffs and the one west coast supertour .. they pulled only four other heads all year at Sprints.. Again me, Danny, Preston ( Random) and Brown(Random) I publicly stated that if I had another weekend with 2-3 cars and I was one of them... Less the Runoffs, I was taking a DQ and not pulling my personal engine apart? I suggested then that they needed to spread the love to multiple cars and multiple engine builders.

I will say it again.. IMO, No one builder should get the bulk of the heads at any one event less the runoffs ( it is what it is there). I had three at 18' Sprints, Two at Atlanta this year. Then the Sprints this year, Chris had two heads and I had another with Bruni and they skipped me and Brown, while it may seem odd , I get it. they had seen us already multiple times. Watkins I thought was good.. They did winner who happened to be a builder that had not been teched yet to my knowledge, Brunis from Road America and Ciufo.

I may be in the minority.. But I think tech should be 'somewhat" random.. If they have seen multiples of mine, Chris etc and passing.. they should perhaps move to other builders that are doing well. They did that this weekend, it worked well as Elivan won and passed. They have a few other cars from a few other builders on the podium that have to my knowledge never been checked. They would be one of my list of "randoms" From there forward.. Not sure I would continue checking Danny if/when he wins if he has already passed in this year. "I" would record what engines are in what cars in first open hood qualifying session. Pick a random in top 20 from whichever builder(s) you want to see. That keeps the top 20 on their toes, not just the guys who are used to being on the podium and passing. This is solely my opinion. When you no longer have any you haven't seen, go 100% truly random.

But if the question is do you think they wanted to see Chris car after NASA Champs, I would say yes, thats accurate :)

It is hard to say someone shouldn't be torn down because they were down the race before when the guys being torn down have been found non compliant in the past.

Just my opinion but anyone at the front that knows if they are torn down and won't be again there is a green light to take a liberty.

Tech needs to randomly tech everyone regardless of possition or builder. There are many cheats some don't have anything to do with an engine builder.

It does not take an engine builder to slot a control arm, hog out a rp, run illegal fuel, run a light weight wheel, have switch to kill amd alternator etc etc and so on.

Does it suck to be torn down over and over yes I'm sure it does. We all signed up for this when we voted to collect $20 compliance fee, hard to cry later we are getting to many exams.

I am not for sealing as I do believe it will be bought off to be defeated.

Tires much harder to know what number tire stickers you will end up with before and event and who is gonna print matchi g stickers at the event " dont that that's happening"

K. Webb