Photo

Mid Ohio Toyo Advice- when is the sweet spot?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Vinnie Baratta

Vinnie Baratta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi gang, ill be headed to Mid Ohio next month for NASA Nationals... ive heard from different sources that mid o "likes old tires" so when you combine that with the Toyo RR's ability to generally wear well what does that mean?

Should i buy brand new tires, heat cycle them once on practice day and then just pull them out and run them the rest of the weekend once its showtime?

I'll have a set with 4 heat cycles, and an other with 6. Should i run one of those the whole weekend? Maybe bring both and split the difference?

Anyone have decent data as to when the sweet spot at Mid Ohio is with RRs? Itll affect how i pick tires for the race before then (this weekend) Thanks!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Vinnie one of the issues with new RR's at Mid O is that new tires will grain and when they do they are slow. The other is that a new RR if Fat, heavier than a shaved or older set of tires. So one thing I can say for sure, a new set of stickers is not fast there, older or shaved tires do better.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region
Chairman, SCCA Great Lakes Divisional Series Committee.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Vinnie Baratta

Vinnie Baratta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So maybe those used tires don't necessarily have to have been used at mid Ohio? And do people shave RRs? Heard of it with RA1s and r888s but not these

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

So maybe those used tires don't necessarily have to have been used at mid Ohio? And do people shave RRs? Heard of it with RA1s and r888s but not these

Vinnie - yes drivers do shave RR's, and to different depths. Certainly was the case at Watkins Glen, another track that doesnt favor sticker RR's. I suspect it was one of the reasons TOYO issued sticker sets to all drivers at the NASA nationals at COTA last year, in an attempt to get everyone onto an even playing field wrt tires. 

• Preston Pardus and av8tor like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2018 SCCA Runoffs Champion, NASA Champion, Hoosier Super Tour Champion, June Sprints Winner

2016 June Sprints WInner, ARRC Winner, NASA Eastern States Championships Podium

2015 Eastern Conference Majors Champ, June Sprints Winner, ARRC Winner

2014 NASA Eastern States Championship Runner Up.

2013 SEDiv Driver of the Year, Eastern Conference Majors Champ, SEDiv National Champ, ARRC Winner, Runoffs Podium

2011 SEDiv Driver of the Year, SEDiv National Champ, ARRC Winner, Palm Tree Quad National Champ, SEDiv ECR Champ
2010 June Sprints Winner, ARRC Winner

2009 SARRC Champ, SEDiv ECR Champ, FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users