Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Completed my first home setup job per the guide this evening and my FL tire seems closer to the fender than I'd expect. When I stick my hand between the fenders and the tire, all others I can fit my fingers in all the way to the knuckles you'd punch things with. The LF, only up to the second knuckle so I'd guess 3/8 inch closer.

Ride height is within 1/8 of 4 5/8 all around. Cross ended up 50.45%. I was only able to get 2.5 camber on the FL before I whacked my finger with a hammer loosening a bolt and quickly lost patience. Car has my weight in sand backs in the drivers seat.

I did stuff that corner into a hillside once but it has new A-arms (that have done a little bit of offroading since.) Normal to find this?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Based on "Ride height is within 1/8 of 4 5/8 all around" You are somewhere between 4.5 and 4.75. So you are on the low side of what I would recomend. But you can not get the correct camber. At that height you should get close to 3.5. I would think that something is bent. You do not state caster readings. If caster is also off on that side, I would definately look for bent parts. Subframe would be very possible.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
Thanks Dave. I was hoping there was an easier answer but since the fender itself didn't even get scratched when it took the earlier damage but the control arms were pretzled, the subframe probably bent too.

For now, I suppose it's better than it was for this weekend and I'll get more practice with setup sorting that out afterwards.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
I had the same problem, with the same results. Ended up changing the Xmember and all was well, again. It looked fine, but wasn't.
wheel

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
It probably also explains why the scales kept telling me to lower that corner, but the clearance and ride height said no.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Keith...
I'm only able to get around 2.5 or so camber on the LF even with a new LCA. Camber can be higher if you are willing to mess with your caster setting. But I just evened out the front camber settings and had caster set to about 5+. I also set my rear camber to 2.5, but not sure it should not have been set higher given the front camber numbers.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Keith...
I'm only able to get around 2.5 or so camber on the LF even with a new LCA. Camber can be higher if you are willing to mess with your caster setting. But I just evened out the front camber settings and had caster set to about 5+. I also set my rear camber to 2.5, but not sure it should not have been set higher given the front camber numbers.

If you are short on camber, but can get 5* caster on an NA car, you have something bent.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
I'll check the caster after the weekend is over before I swap subframes. I didn't change it much and being my first time doing this myself, after the 100th time crawling under the strings and with my throbbing purple fingertip I decided it "good enough for now".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users