• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

racer466

racer466

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:MA

New to the class, currently building a 99 for SM.  Do I need to buy spacers to get the wheels out to the fender lips, or is there an offset that will do just fine? Looking at TR1 wheels.

Thanks

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

New to the class, currently building a 99 for SM.  Do I need to buy spacers to get the wheels out to the fender lips, or is there an offset that will do just fine? Looking at TR1 wheels.

Thanks

Use the 25 mm offset wheels from Tire rack and you will not need anything

• Ron Alan likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Use the 25 mm offset wheels from Tire rack and you will not need anything

Maybe lug nuts. :)
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Maybe lug nuts. :)

and a tire for each wheel works best. 

• Jim Drago likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Oh, right, but those are $$$ so I hear we will be restricted to one sticker set plus one spare per season. Which means a budget increase for a few but that can’t be helped.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I know everyone was excited about the 25mm when they were allowed a few years ago.  At this point, is there a difference from a performance perspective or just driver preference v. 30mm?

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I know everyone was excited about the 25mm when they were allowed a few years ago.  At this point, is there a difference from a performance perspective or just driver preference v. 30mm?

Allowed? What are you smoking? :)  Maximum track width has always been achieved safely with 25mm wheels since the beginning! Early on these wheels weren't readily available in this size...but now the most common. And when the NA rear track width(maximum) was changed to match the NB...5mm spacers could be used with your 25mm wheels! Now besides this option you can run NB rear uprights on your NA car in which case your 25mm wheels are still perfect! 

Run what you have Sphinx(30's if thats the case)it wont make a difference :)

• Steve Scheifler likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Allowed? What are you smoking? :)  Maximum track width has always been achieved safely with 25mm wheels since the beginning! Early on these wheels weren't readily available in this size...but now the most common. And when the NA rear track width(maximum) was changed to match the NB...5mm spacers could be used with your 25mm wheels! Now besides this option you can run NB rear uprights on your NA car in which case your 25mm wheels are still perfect! 

Run what you have Sphinx(30's if thats the case)it wont make a difference :)

I left that California stuff behind! :)  I've got both sizes and have used 25 for the last many years - was mostly curious whether there was any consensus.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I know everyone was excited about the 25mm when they were allowed a few years ago. At this point, is there a difference from a performance perspective or just driver preference v. 30mm?

Greatly simplified, you want a wider track if you can get it, but of course it isn’t so simple and at some point there are trade offs. Unfortunately I don’t have accurate models of our cars or tracks we run but just for grins I wanted to see just how small an impact a 10mm track increase has on something I can sim with a high end simulator demo.

So this is total apples to oranges but on a Porsche Cup car running the Silverstone GP course, adding 10mm track front and rear dropped lap times from 2:34.51 to 2:34.44. Reducing track by the same amount below the original had a slightly larger negative impact yielding 2:34.59.

So how much is too much all else being the same? Well, I couldn’t find that because there’s a big difference between making the basic chassis/platform wider and simply moving the wheel further out from the suspension upright/spindle as we are doing.

While not even remotely close to our scenario it’s probably safe to think that the differences are not orders of magnitude, so the benefits are at best very small. But so is the qualifying gap between cars in a strong SM field.
  • MPR22, Jim Drago, Sphinx and 1 other like this

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

I've had it presented to me as both a personal preference and plausibly frontal area increase concerns.

Prior to the Penske shocks, our cars were oversprung and underdamped meaning the marginally softer each corner could be made (upwards of 13mm from +38 to +25 wheels), it was a net positive (if that was your goal) with an offsetting negative of increasing your frontal area at the tires. If you learn how to drive the car on +38 wheels you don't lose that potential top speed impact. I know of one racer here in the NE who is always fast on +38 wheels so he's figured things out.

I've also heard scuttlebutt from another team running an STL Miata, in their application, having more tire in the airstream does impact top speed so they've not gone to an offset that causes a 15x10 (I think) wheel/tire to protrude much beyond their front airdam.

My personal decision was to go with Jongbloed +30 all around and have sold off all my K1s and Team Dynamics Pro Race 2s.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BlueJay73

BlueJay73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:27
So, if I have Jongbloed 30 offset wheels, can I run a spacer? 5mm front and rear?

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

So, if I have Jongbloed 30 offset wheels, can I run a spacer? 5mm front and rear?

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users