Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

https://www.mazdamot...ice-promotions/

What is this..?  Has anyone heard wind of this? I'm assuming a mistake or we've just been dropped a  :bomb:

Located under first pricing chart:

"(Please note that, in the near future, we will release a new, upgraded (and more expensive) coilover shock design for the NA & NB Miatas raced in Spec Miata."

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Rick Worth

Rick Worth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Number:24

Yes I talked to them this morning. They just came up with having weekly specials on parts. I waited a year to be able to budget for my Penskes and just purchased them last month for the new increased price that happened in December. Now this. I love the Mazda support of the little guys, like me, but dang.  

• Sphinx likes this

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

rumor is on FB that its just a threaded shock body to get rid of the collars. 

im fine with that, as long as its still legal to run the collars and the shocks are the same. otherwise, it'd be a big dick move. 

• Team Nitro and Xav like this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

SawMX5

SawMX5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:NASA SoCal
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:50

I saw that this morning too. I'm still building my Spec Miata NB and suspension was one of the last major components I need to purchase. After seeing that information, I may just wait until the new parts are released. 

Rick Worth

Rick Worth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Number:24

This is just the Penske Spec Miata shocks that came out last year. You buy the shocks and use your own collars off your existing Spec Miata suspension. SawMX5, you better buy them now while they are on sale. I just paid $150 more last month for these. 

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

This is just the Penske Spec Miata shocks that came out last year. You buy the shocks and use your own collars off your existing Spec Miata suspension. SawMX5, you better buy them now while they are on sale. I just paid $150 more last month for these.

I think you missed the part he’s asking about. They explicitly state:

Please note that, in the near future, we will release a new, upgraded (and more expensive) coilover shock design for the NA & NB Miatas raced in Spec Miata.

If it’s just a built-in collar then not a big deal.
  • Rick Worth likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

While I like the idea of going to a threaded body shock(just less parts to deal with),I still prefer the current design since it has been shown through use now that the spring does rub and wear some of the unused threads, I would feel better just knowing that I am only wearing out a $20 spring collar and not a $400 shock!

However, I am all for if Penske comes out with an of the shelf,ready to go top hat. This just saves time and effort. Not a big deal to mod the current hats, but something to make life a little easier, especially if they produce them with a nice coating so our investment doesn't turn into a rusty mess.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Threaded shock and collar is the change. The difference in price will be similar to current cost of the coil over sleeve. So unless you want to leave your coil overs with your old bilsteins...buy the shocks now and use what you have. Waiting to buy the next "best thing" shouldn't be any different(probably be the norm down the road)than what is currently available...and it/they will be more money! This is my current understanding...hopefully its good info!

• ChrisA, Jim Drago and Steve Scheifler like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas

rumor is on FB that its just a threaded shock body to get rid of the collars. 

Didn't one of the early power points on the Penske shocks say the rebuild would include replacing the shock body? IIRC it was to keep them tamper proof.

Has anyone heard if rebuilds will include the current shock bodies or the new threaded ones?

Will the threaded ones require new spring perches?

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

when I asked about a rebuild for a damaged shaft -- the price of new shock was equal to the price of rebuild + a $60 shaft.  So I doubt many get rebuilt unless the price of new goes up and the rebuild price stays the same.

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

when I asked about a rebuild for a damaged shaft -- the price of new shock was equal to the price of rebuild + a $60 shaft.  So I doubt many get rebuilt unless the price of new goes up and the rebuild price stays the same.

I thought rebuild price was supposed to be inexpensive like 100 bucks or something? Does anyone remember the quote?  Lots of rears are leaking and need to be rebuilt

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Quotes are only good for 30-60 days. :)
  • Armando Ramirez likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Quotes are only good for 30-60 days. :)

I know one person who sent back shocks that were leaking rears and sent all four as they had a season. it was 800 as they replaced both rear shafts.. so much for rebuilding.. 

• SawMX5 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I know one person who sent back shocks that were leaking rears and sent all four as they had a season. it was 800 as they replaced both rear shafts.. so much for rebuilding..

I'm liking my old skool Bilsteins.
  • Armando Ramirez likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
This is all SO encouraging. :(
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Fresh race ready NA6 re-build for sale. All the good stuff including brand new Penske shocks. $12,000. Available options: 7yr old Bilsteins +$500

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Unlike the current Spec Miata shock, the Penske (Special emphasis, Penske who is the world leader in suspension technology) will be tamper-proof, and rebuildable through Penske at $100/shock. It is recommended that shocks be inspected by Penske after 100 hours of track use to determine whether a rebuild would be valuable. (Penske covers their a$$ very well).

https://www.scca.com...ay-to-nasa-scca

With the leaky Penske shocks is the issue scratched shafts from install or Penske parts failure?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

:scratchchin:  How much did it cost to rebuild the Bilsteins, which were poorly suited to our cars? If I recall, it was just under a $100 for a general rebuild. How quick was the turn around?  The same cost to replace them was roughly the same as a rebuild. But, let's not forget the availability problem we had. Nor, should we forget the dampening inconsistency that was found among the shocks, after all, it was just an off-the-shelf shock.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

:scratchchin:  How much did it cost to rebuild the Bilsteins, which were and poorly suited to our cars? If I recall, it was just under a $100 for a general rebuild. How quick was the turn around?  The same cost to replace them was roughly the same as a rebuild. But, let's not forget the availability problem we had. Nor, should we forget the dampening inconsistency that was found among the shocks, after all, it was just an off-the-shelf shock.

I don't think we have forgot that, but if it was advertised that they would be rebuilt for 100.00 it should be 100.00. They are supposed to go 100 hrs and then they are supposed to inspect at return to see if they need a rebuild. I assume they only rebuild shocks that need it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas

Whoa, I've only budgeted $500, the advertised $100 per shock + shipping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users