William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

Unlike the current Spec Miata shock, the Penske (Special emphasis, Penske who is the world leader in suspension technology) will be tamper-proof, and rebuildable through Penske at $100/shock. It is recommended that shocks be inspected by Penske after 100 hours of track use to determine whether a rebuild would be valuable. (Penske covers their a$$ very well).

https://www.scca.com...ay-to-nasa-scca

With the leaky Penske shocks is the issue scratched shafts from install or Penske parts failure?

mine was a bad install (prior to the install note)

• Bench Racer likes this

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Texas

I got my rebuilt Penskes back today. Really quick service. The shock bodies were the same type. Following the install instructions, I didn't damage the shafts, so $400 + shipping.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

I got my rebuilt Penskes back today. Really quick service. The shock bodies were the same type. Following the install instructions, I didn't damage the shafts, so $400 + shipping.

How many definitely needed repair/rebuild? What response if any do they give when pressed on why practically new shocks are failing?

How common is this, really? We didn’t buy hundreds of the Bilsteins like big shops do but we bought quite a few sets and never had a single one leak or outright fail, and the sets I’ve tested after multiple seasons were always still in good shape.

Jim and Ralph, what percentage of Bilsteins would you estimate failed without obvious damage from impact or curbs?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,267 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

How many definitely needed repair/rebuild? What response if any do they give when pressed on why practically new shocks are failing?

How common is this, really? We didn’t buy hundreds of the s like big shops do but we bought quite a few sets and never had a single one leak or outright fail, and the sets I’ve tested after multiple seasons were always still in good shape.

Jim and Ralph, what percentage of Bilsteins would you estimate failed without obvious damage from impact or curbs?

The rear Penske shocks leaking I would say is common.  best guess 10-20 %? 

On Billsteins... not sure I ever really saw one fail?  I have changed thinking they were bad, but not real proof. I would say less than 3%

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts
If that can be verified as even close then it’s time to get more vocal. I get that race parts don’t have a warranty but that kind of early failure rate is absolutely unacceptable, particularly in a no-choice spec situation.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

The rear Penske shocks leaking I would say is common.  best guess 10-20 %? 

If this leaking is not from poor installation, should we expect some action by "Penske, The World Leader in Suspension Technology"? If the shocks were on our street vehicle, we'd expect a non leaky shock. I just read Steve's comment and totally agree and will say Penske owes the Spec Miata vehicle owners. Otherwise all Penske sold the Spec Miata vehicle owners is a very short life perishable part.

The question becomes, why the rear leak and not the fronts. Could it be the rear is hammering on what Penske calls their bump stop constantly causing the leak and the front is not constantly on their bump stop? I do not have the Penske shocks and will not buy them because for me it's a waste of money.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

We know we like to run these things as low as we can get away with. For awhile we were deforming that upper metal washer/spacer I wonder if hammering the bump stop on the rear is cause for some leaking?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region
Chairman, SCCA Great Lakes Divisional Series Committee.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Texas

I had a little leakage at the tops of the rears. I didn't notice any operational issues. I do go over curbs and too frequently off track. I'd rather get it taken care of during the off season before it becomes an issue. IIRC from the initial presentations, a yearly rebuild might be expected.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

IIRC from the initial presentations, a yearly rebuild might be expected.

Penske recommended send in for CHECK after 100 hours of track time.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users