Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
The track limits for the Cota race are the same as last year with a picture in the supps. So there should not be any confusion on test day and qualifying one.  If you see someone abusing it and you are bothered by it, please don’t bitch, whine or complain, rather just please chose one of the following options: 

1) protest 
2)stfu 

It really is a simple system when you eliminate the drama  :)

I'm dying and still trying to get over the flu.. so I'm not talking any smack , just hoping I can breathe in the car and  be able to drive :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Track limits. Smack limits. I say let’s race from wall to wall.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Track limits. Smack limits. I say let’s race from wall to wall.

I agree!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I generally try not to actually use the actual walls.  I know I paid for the whole track...but, there's an inch or two I'd rather not get acquainted with.  None of my attempts to use that last inch have worked out in my favor. 

• Alberto and Jim Drago like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I generally try not to actually use the actual walls.  I know I paid for the whole track...but, there's an inch or two I'd rather not get acquainted with.  None of my attempts to use that last inch have worked out in my favor. 

In the case of COTA, we definitely pay for every bit of it :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Here's to y'all having a fun and incident free event :toast:

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
OK, it’s too quiet. Jim made it clear in qualifying that he was the man to beat and backed it up in race 1 including a new TR on the smoothed surface. Congrats!

But official results also show:
Car #39 - Penalty 9.1.7.c.1.j.1 - compliance violation (Intake Manifold)

That’s OEM manifold, no material removed, no coatings, correct injectors, all combustion air through the restrictor plate. Hmmmmmm...

Say it ain’t so!
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
More to come, I guess. But on Facebook, smmd reports:

This just In! The #39 of Danny Steyn is DQ'd from P3 at the Super Tour in COTA! Port matched intake manifold? Come on! Stay Tuned!

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

You mean wastebook, a wasteland of moronic memes where anything like intelligent discussion is a futile waste of time. The only good thing about it is that the whole thing is so hopelessly disorganized that the garbage is quickly buried by more of the same, never to resurface.
But you heard it here first.
  • Jim Drago, MarekM and mellen like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Steve, your age is showing. :o)

-tch

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Steve, your age is showing. :o)

Perhaps, but it’s not like I’m a Luddite, couldn’t be further from it, I just see the shortcoming of the platform for certain purposes and tire quickly of juvenile humor. Surely there are people younger than I who agree.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I hope that is not true, I saw that post also.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
I'm just giving you a hard time. In the youngins parlance.... "ok, boomer."

I really don't mind the platform too much. But, I agree it's not great for longer focused discussions.
  • Alberto likes this

-tch

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I hope that is not true, I saw that post also.

The DQ is final and the violated rule cited. I would expect more specifics to come out eventually, which I gather is what’s meant by more to come. Although anyone else there with a Rossini engine should be worried.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
This raises what I think is an important question: Is tech now justified to specifically target other cars at this event with the same engine builder to look for the same infraction? My thought is yes, absolutely, and on quick consideration I can’t see a strong argument against it. Does anyone disagree? I would say the same thing about an arrive & drive group in the case of things maintained by the crew under that tent.
  • Alberto likes this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
A wet Q2 and looks like a chance of rain all day. WTF, Danny out there? Not sure that’s appropriate no matter who is pointing fingers at whom. I suppose the rules allow it and any penalties beyond the race DQ will be assessed later. Just doesn’t look right given that this isn’t a first offense.
  • 38bfast likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
This morning was damp, probably slicks were the call. Many were on wets practicing for what looks to be a wet race.
Nick Leverone and Matt Reynolds and Steyn are all really good here in wet. Should be a good race, just hope it rains or dries out, the in between stuff is a real pain not the ass.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Mike Rossini posted a flat out denial of any tampering on his company FB page. I believe him.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Awesome weekend capped off with a great race yesterday.

It was a four way battle between Matt Reynolds, Danny Steyn, Nick Leverone and myself. Reynolds, Steyn and I swapped the lead a few times while Leverone was closing fast and looked to be the fastest car at the end of the race. We managed a rare sweep and a new track record, Danny Steyn P2 and Nick Leverone for P3, Matt Reynolds finished P4. Good times throughout our camp and the entire paddock. Happy to have my wife, sister, niece, Craig Berry, the entire Vento family in to watch the race.. Thanks to Mike Hern for all the hard work this weekend while sick. Thanks to Hoosier, Mazda, Scca and especially G-Loc, the pads were awesome and really made a difference here.

As I said in the interview below.. That race was a blast! 

I hope I have video.. I didn't have Todd there to clear my video cards :(  If i have i will post. i know i have the pole lap, so i will at least post that. 

https://www.scca.com/videos/2037997

In regards o the DQ.  I saw the piece in question, saw what they were complaining about but refused to handle the part as the last time I went down that road.. It screwed up a lot of people. In short, I stayed out of it.  The intake was not "port match from intake to cylinder head". The intake is in two pieces, upper and lower.  There are four runners in lower intake that meet up with four round holes in upper intake. What the DQ was for was each of these holes were found to be deburred, rather than a sharp edge. Tech inspected three other cars all with sharp edges in place. Who, What, When, How?   I have no idea or information. 

Was it an advantage? Absolutely not .    Is a relief cut .002 over an advantage.. no it is isn't.   But by surveys, we all want these rules and we want them enforced.  We are paying tech to come to these races and enforce the rules. It is what it is, Steyn put a different intake on for Sunday and finished one spot higher and passed inspection. 

Next up Road Atlanta

• joe varble, Alberto and Andy L like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Congratulations on a huge weekend Jim!

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I came off looking like a prick but seeing that DQ in the results was a bit of a shocker and then Danny still kept his Q1 times which also seemed odd.

LarryKing, not that it matters, but for accuracy, read Mike’s comments again. He absolutely did not deny the actual charge, even if he meant to. What he says is what we’ve heard before, that the manifold had passed inspection before (in this case by Rick Harris last august and at the ARRC last November.) and that it hadn’t been touched since other than parts washer. Not every inspection catches or even covers every possible issue inside and out of a given part and not all inspectors catch everything, just like the heads that passed multiple teardowns including June Sprints only to be tossed at the Runoffs. That’s just the reality that comes from a long history of fudging the rules. You can, mostly, avoid it by not fudging.

Anyway, I didn’t see the parts and I haven’t tested what benefits might be gained but I accept Jim’s statement of none. It cost Danny one podium but he shook that off to finish second the next day, well done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users