• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

racer466

racer466

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:MA

I'm building my first SM, its a 99.  Lots of different wheels out there, all roughly the same price range $100-135.  What would be the lightest or concentrate the weight more in the middle?  Jim what do you recommend?  Also, I'm going to buy your SD exhaust, do I need to specify that I do have a drop floor or are they all the same?  Thanks

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Min Wheel weight is speced at 13.1 lbs (I think). I don't think there is any performance difference in any minimum weight wheel. They are all spoke and hub design. Any minor difference in weight distribution isn't going to amount to any performance difference.

I use the tr1 motorsports wheels from tire rack. Cheap and they have held up well.

But my guess is you'll get 10 different answersnfrom ten different people.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

But my guess is you'll get 10 different answersnfrom ten different people.

I’ll start! Minimum is 13.0 lbs. :)
And by FAR the best is 949 because they took their standard wheel which is way too light and added the difference to the center, and it’s offset a millimeter wider. It will make you SO much faster than the competition. If you can get them. :(

Or you can run what the only multi-time national champ runs, the Tire Rack specials, and work a LOT harder to earn it.
  • Tom Hampton, Jim Drago and -P- like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
Between the TR ones and the Momo Podiums, any preference? The TR ones have gone up 30% in price over the last few years. Podiums now cost about the same.

Anyone know where the podiums are made?

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

FAR.... SO.... LOT

Absolutely Dripping...

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
I have been buying momo wheels from advanced Autosports as of late. I was a distributor of the 949 wheels but they are currently out of stock
  • Jim Drago likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I have been buying momo wheels from advanced Autosports as of late. I was a distributor of the 949 wheels but they are currently out of stock

Same here. It’s been many months and now they’ve pulled the SM wheel off the site entirely. Too bad, I found them to be excellent wheels and my price extremely attractive, all the more so when they started including free shipping. I don’t know what’s going on with them but quite a few customers fed up.

Hey Chris, if the wheels have become too much trouble for them to bother with maybe they’ll let us buy or license the rights. They seem much more interested in their SuperMiata line anyway. There are a couple other cars/fitments worth looking at, just need to fix the PR and work on marketing.

Have you ever had one fail without it being hit?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Icedawg

Icedawg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:WCMA
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51

I bought the Momo Podium last year.  They are very nice wheels, and a decent price.

My car came with only 4 rims, of a different brand (Team Dynamic), and the chrome paint on the lip has flaked off when stressed by the tire changing machine.  The Podium wheels did not suffer this problem.  Now if I could only get to the Podium ...

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I have hoarded what 949 wheels i could get, bought some new sets off people with tires and sold or used tires. I think I have 4 full sets now, but I use TR motorsports when I don't have 949 and on all new cars, no issues. 

Whatever you like better Momo or the TR wheels will work just fine for you. 

• tylerbrown likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
If they don’t go back into production I may have some more for you. We had a dozen full sets for our cars plus several spares. Several sets went with each car and I sold other sets separately, so I probably still have a few sets left though some are a little dinged up since the nicest ones went with the cars.
  • Camaro67racer likes this

tylerbrown

tylerbrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:07

Same here. It’s been many months and now they’ve pulled the SM wheel off the site entirely. Too bad, I found them to be excellent wheels and my price extremely attractive, all the more so when they started including free shipping. I don’t know what’s going on with them but quite a few customers fed up.

Hey Chris, if the wheels have become too much trouble for them to bother with maybe they’ll let us buy or license the rights. They seem much more interested in their SuperMiata line anyway. There are a couple other cars/fitments worth looking at, just need to fix the PR and work on marketing.

Have you ever had one fail without it being hit?

I contacted 949 over two years ago looking for new wheels and could not get them, and probably two more times since. The last time I asked, I asked how many I would need to order for them to get a production run, thinking if we got 100 sets if that would be enough to get a run, but they just told me that they were planning to make more, but had no ETA. That was August 19, 2019.

I never had one fail, but I did lose one to contact this past fall, and now I only have 2.75 sets, so I would like more even more now..

I would be interested in seeing if we can set something up to buy the rights/license for the SM wheels, or pushing hard for a production run.

Tyler Brown

Sneaky Moose Motorsports - Owner

2023 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2023 June Sprints - 1st Place

2022 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2020 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2019 June Sprints - 1st Place

Design Engineer - Milwaukee Electric Tool

Facebook: https://www.facebook...oseMotorsports/

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....le_polymer=true

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

what TRM wheels are these? i see them all the time, but when you search there website, they pull up C1s in 15x7 as +42 and 14+ lbs, and C1Ms in 15x7 +30 as 12.X lbs. that makes the offset pretty terrible on the legal, heavy wheels, and the C1Ms are too light to be legal. 

been buying from phil's tire service when i need wheels. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

what TRM wheels are these? i see them all the time, but when you search there website, they pull up C1s in 15x7 as +42 and 14+ lbs, and C1Ms in 15x7 +30 as 12.X lbs. that makes the offset pretty terrible on the legal, heavy wheels, and the C1Ms are too light to be legal. 

https://www.tirerack...90&autoModClar=

I weigh them around 13.5 lbs 

• gerglmuff2 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I like the Team dynamic 1.2 rims, The bolt holes for the MOMO are tight hard to get the nuts on. The TR motorsport rims are a reasonable if you can get the 25mm offset rims in black.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

You want the BMW e30 fitment (1986ish to 92ish 3 series). Those are 25mm.

The price on the momos has dropped to roughly the same from mazda.  But not sure about quality compared to the TR.

• gerglmuff2 likes this

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

You want the BMW e30 fitment (1986ish to 92ish 3 series). Those are 25mm.

The price on the momos has dropped to roughly the same from mazda.  But not sure about quality compared to the TR.

thanks for the help Jim and i dont know your name Sphinx.  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

• Jim Drago and Sphinx like this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

The e30 25mm offset fitment is not hub centric...

Do people run the 30mm fitment with spacers to get to 25mm?  Or the e30 w/o hub centricity?  Or just run the Miata fitment of 30mm out of the box?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Atlantic Canada
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

What's all the fuss about 'hub centric' about? I've never worried about that, and never detected a problem... what kind of top-end speeds do you have to be running for this to matter? :noidea:

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

have run the 25mm wheels with no issues for 5-6 years and so have any others

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

P.McCammon

P.McCammon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Year:2004
  • Car Number:411
I like the jrw wheels phils tire service sells purely for aesthetic reasons. I run the 25 mm offsets.

The momos are ugly AF imo. 949 are tough to get ahold of and the tr Motorsport are decent. Really does not matter if the offset and weight is right though. I have some 5 spoke K1 discount tire wheels that are discontinued. The weight 14.2 lbs but I honestly can't feel a difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)