MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Having been in the class about 10 years and having seen and been in some great races, thought it would be fun to put a top 10 list together.  I can list 5 off the top of my head.  Most of which where Run-offs or NASA Champs but some were just plain old races if there is such a thing in SM. 

no particular order at this point, 

1. 2011 SCCA Runoffs, Road America, Winner Elivan Gouart winner.  Epic race between Elivan and Gorilla at the end. 

2. 2012 SCCA Runoffs, Road America, Jim Drago's first national championship

3. 2012 COTA Super Tour, Craig Berry?? Not sure to this day,  The race that had a the best lap that never was. 

4. 2015 SCCA Runoffs Daytona, The drama of the night race and the rain was ridiculous, the start was one of the scariest ever. 

5. 2018 NASA Champs, COTA Unofficial Chris Haldeman, Official Danny Steyn.  The qual created the hottest mess of a grid for a big race ever, Haldeman winning from the 20's on grid and having to fight off legendary racer Todd Burras, the Tech shed drama that occurred without drivers present... 

6. 2019 SCCA Runoffs, Todd Burras leads a pack of 8-10 drivers for 12 of 14 thrilling hard nosed laps. 

I am sure there are others that I am not remembering or haven't seen because this has been going on for longer than I have been involved. 

Add to the list , rearrange, post links to videos.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

good topic.. 

I will have to come in an edit later

1) 2017 Runoffs, Indy, winner Preston Pardus out of no where, huge field, epic track, great competition, huge field

https://www.scca.com/videos/2033587

2). 2013 SCCA Runoffs, Road America, Winner Jim Drago winner.  great race where national champions were allowed to participate with no qualifying races  largest field ever to date with most national champions ever, The race was an absolute brawl.

https://www.scca.com/videos/2027380

3. 2013 COTA Super Tour, Craig Berry??? Not sure to this day,  The race that had a the best lap that never was. 

https://www.youtube....eature=emb_logo

4. 2015 SCCA Runoffs Daytona, The drama of the night race and the rain was ridiculous, the start was one of the scariest ever. 

https://www.scca.com/videos/1972514

5. 2018 NASA Champs, COTA winner Chris Haldeman :)   The qual created the hottest mess of a grid for a big race ever, Haldeman winning from the 20's on grid and having to fight off legendary racer Todd Buras, the Tech shed drama that occurred without drivers present... 

https://www.youtube....h?v=zBXzsEdYp8s

6. 2019 SCCA Runoffs, Todd Buras leads a pack of 8-10 drivers for 12 of 14 thrilling hard nosed laps. 

https://www.scca.com/videos/2037563

7. 2011 SCCA Runoffs, Road America, Winner Elivan Gouliart  Elivan literally put on a clinic in that race. i learned a lot watching it and helped me win in 13

https://www.scca.com/videos/2026862

The post race interviews are pretty funny, one guy who out-qualified the field by 2 seconds at Road America with no drafting help the year before is complaining about someone elses power and the class needs to be "spec" :)   

8.  2016-7  Nola race where Chris Haldeman won

9   2019 Watkins glen race  where Tyler Kicera, Elivan and Danny steyn crossed the line in photo finish

https://www.youtube....h?v=Xp9ocxo87pY

10  2006 SCCA National Championship  Andrew Cadell   first Runoffs , what a mess but first ever

• lillyweld likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

I guess the COTA race was 2013, Jim please edit and insert. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I guess the COTA race was 2013, Jim please edit and insert. 

That was when my car was popping and missing with cam sensor, was only in the lead because of contact the lap before.. Dam cam sensors!    

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

That was when my car was popping and missing with cam sensor, was only in the lead because of contact the lap before.. Dam cam sensors!    

More accurate would be cam sensor harness plug/connection? Or did you have an actual bad cam sensor unit(NB)?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

More accurate would be cam sensor harness plug/connection? Or did you have an actual bad cam sensor unit(NB)?

nope just sensor was fine the next day

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Gorriaran's interview after getting beat by Elivan was priceless. Then there is cheater Valafar saying if he had 3 more laps he would catch the leaders. 

• Jim Drago likes this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

First time I experienced the pop/missing in the 99 car was at a 25HR event...we spent 15 minutes cutting off harness plug, cut back plastic on cam sensor to expose pins, and the soldered the wires directly on! Taped it up all as one piece(cam sensor is a permanent part of the harness now) and continued! It has been like this for 4 years...knock on wood it still works :)

Sorry...back to epic races! 

One of my first memories of SM was watching RA...I think when Elivan won?...Jim had contact and I think came in...but went back out? but the live feed found Jim when the car came back around who ended his day? Was that Gorilla? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Gorriaran's interview after getting beat by Elivan was priceless. Then there is cheater Valafar saying if he had 3 more laps he would catch the leaders. 

Great thread, there have been so many great races in this class and there will be more to add to the list in the future.

As for Sammy at Runoffs in 2011, I was running about 6th when he used me as a berm and pushed me off and bent a wheel. That was a high water mark for my '95 and a great finish was possible that day.  Afterward he looked at me like I was crazy.  Wonder what he's up to these days, a character for sure. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users