• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Tom Eaton

Tom Eaton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:MO

Very interesting, there will be a Hoosier Super Tour date at the end of May at Gateway to replace the cancelled Hallett event.  Hopefully my new build will be ready by then.  It will be my first SM race.  Anyone planning on making the trip?  

https://www.scca.com/pages/super-tour

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Very interesting, there will be a Hoosier Super Tour date at the end of May at Gateway to replace the cancelled Hallett event.  Hopefully my new build will be ready by then.  It will be my first SM race.  Anyone planning on making the trip?  

https://www.scca.com/pages/super-tour

Maybe.. optimistic on date perhaps though

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rick Worth

Rick Worth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:24

I would say as we had a concert cancel for Jun 30th already. 

Tom Eaton

Tom Eaton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Agreed.  I think we'll be lucky to be on track by late summer or fall.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Agreed. I think we'll be lucky to be on track by late summer or fall.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

stoker

stoker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

The flu situation won't be over until November 4.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I believe we'll be racing in summer 2020.  I believe Governors, fed and health officials will come up with procedures that will allow businesses and other gatherings and events to happen. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

The flu situation won't be over until November 4.

For sure there will be some set of controversies between now and then and they'll continue very shortly after. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I believe we'll be racing in summer 2020. I believe Governors, fed and health officials will come up with procedures that will allow businesses and other gatherings and events to happen.

Broadly speaking, what do you think that plan will be and why aren’t we getting even an outline of the phases, of what’s next?

Do you see stadium and arena sports back in action with live crowds this year? I do not.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Broadly speaking, what do you think that plan will be and why aren’t we getting even an outline of the phases, of what’s next?

Do you see stadium and arena sports back in action with live crowds this year? I do not.

I don't think stadium sports will see the usual crowds for quite a while.  Right now private gatherings of more than 10 people are discouraged or prohibited.  If that restriction were lifted but some sort of distancing practices and other supportive guidelines were provided, a club race might be possible.  Racers themselves could certainly stay away from each other during an event and if the workers could find ways to do the same (which seems plausible), then I feel our events could be held without putting people at risk.  SCCA , NASA and others being private orgs can limit the people that are present in the facility, we already do. 

Today I went through the drive through at chik-fil-a and a masked person took my order outside and i was coned off from getting near the pickup window and another masked person took the money and handed me my food.  That's not completely risk free because the food and bags are handled but they've found a way to make it work at a much reduced risk level.  I think we can do the same holding races if the pols loosen some of the restrictions but require safety guidelines be followed.

TommyB

TommyB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Number:50

Right now the tri state area of NY, NJ and CN is being treated like a leper colony. Residents of these states are frequently turned away from even entering other states.

If for example the Majors race at Pocono scheduled for Memorial Day were to happen , would they even let certain residents of other states into the event.?

An analogy to this whole virus thing is like climbing Mt Everest. We know how hard it is to get to the top but the real challenge is  getting back down, safely.

I'm fearful that once we get to the so called "peak" we will become complacent , let our guard down and suddenly find ourselves once again in a heap of trouble.

Only time will tell.....in the mean time I'll "gear up" for my once a week trip to the grocery store and look for the "seniors only" check out line.

Stay safe and stay home

Tom B.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
How do you reduce the risk for volunteer workers? One per flagstand? What about T&S? Just pointing out that not just drivers would have to distance. Not saying it couldn't be done but is it worth the risk?
  • Cnj likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

How do you reduce the risk for volunteer workers? One per flagstand? What about T&S? Just pointing out that not just drivers would have to distance. Not saying it couldn't be done but is it worth the risk?

My fear is we all hunker down until a date in the future.. It is not like it is going to go away... If we all hit the streets and this all starts up again? Not like it will go to zero and all of us doing as suggested will be prime candidates :(

• Steve Scheifler likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:31

I could swing a Gateway, RA, WG, Mid-O tour/work trip for 6 weeks. 

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

I think going to the grocery store is far more risky than a few hundred people scattered over many acres, mostly outdoors while keeping their distance from one another.  Every aspect of a race weekend IMO (registration, paddocking, tech (maybe not typical ST tech), worker activities and locations, the actual racing, packing up and leaving can be done keeping people at a safe distance while also protecting themselves (washing, gloves, masks).  Medical and bathroom activities might need greater attention but do-able IMO. 

I'm not someone blowing this virus off as a nothing burger.  Taking it seriously each day, but there are environments that present very very low risk if people follow some simple rules.

Golf

Tennis

Hiking

Biking

Swimming (yes swimming)

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Pastor Tom, you got a side job or are you supporting Trump's feel good line of thinking? :bigsquaregrin:  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Golf
Tennis
Hiking
Biking
Swimming

I've been going on a lot of motorcycle rides in the country lately. I'm relying on my fellow motorists to social distance, i.e., not squash me.
  • Tom Sager likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Pastor Tom, you got a side job or are you supporting Trump's feel good line of thinking? :bigsquaregrin:  

I really think we'll be racing this summer but under some restrictions and limitations throughout the events. 

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I really think we'll be racing this summer but under some restrictions and limitations throughout the events. 

Wishful thinking ^.

Just viewed on the Prod site the 2020 June Sprints registration is open, BUT, YA, MAYBE, we shall see. I hope the Sprints are run in the normal fashion.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Eaton

Tom Eaton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

My fear is we all hunker down until a date in the future.. It is not like it is going to go away... If we all hit the streets and this all starts up again? Not like it will go to zero and all of us doing as suggested will be prime candidates :(

Exactly.  We're all just waiting for our turn with the ventilators, it seems.  We're buying time for the medical system to catch up, but that seems to be as far as the plan goes so far.

I'll be very surprised if we carve out case-by-case exceptions.  I'll be even more surprised if that happened and anyone considered amateur racing in those conversations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users