ConnorD42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:southeast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:92

Hey everyone,

I tried to do some digging for lap times of 1.6 cars at road atlanta (or in general). The last race weekend I ran in March in Sunday qualifying I ran a slightly assisted (coming out of t7) 1:47.882 (just a junkyard motor). I have a race head being built so hopefully I'll be a touch quicker on the straight bits! I've watched the 'fast SM lap at RA' video from traqmate where he logs a 1:44.7 and then a 1:45.9. What's the fastest a 1.6 SM has ever lapped Road Atlanta officially, though? Does anybody know?

-Connor

Connor DeYoung #42

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
As of last March the region had John Carter at a 1:42.696 dating back to 2016, though I seem to recall that being lowered a bit recently.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

the record is 1:42.2, why aim lower? 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Ok, now we'll answer the question Connor asked, what's the fastest official lap run by a 1.6 Spec Miata at Road Atlanta. The answer is, 1:42.71 by Joey Atterbury at the 2009 ARRC in a 1.6.

Interesting thread of said race including video.

http://forum.specmia...43;t=004308;p=0

The current track record by Danny Stein, 1:42.220

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Ok, now we'll answer the question Connor asked, what's the fastest official lap run by a 1.6 Spec Miata at Road Atlanta. The answer is, 1:42.71 by Joey Atterbury at the 2009 ARRC...

Funny, I thought I’d already answered the question, and correctly at that. According to SCCA published records it is not Atterbury in 2009 but Carter in 2016 as I stated above, not that the difference matters to anyone but them and someone seriously close to breaking it.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I'm trying to get close to these times on my Xbox in an cup car - best I can do is 1:44.9 and I'm killing myself.  So, 1:42 in an SM is smoking.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

What's the fastest a 1.6 SM has ever lapped Road Atlanta officially, though? Does anybody know?

-Connor

As of last March the region had John Carter at a 1:42.696 dating back to 2016, though I seem to recall that being lowered a bit recently.

Ok, now we'll answer the question Connor asked, what's the fastest official lap run by a 1.6 Spec Miata at Road Atlanta. The answer is, 1:42.71 by Joey Atterbury at the 2009 ARRC in a 1.6.

Funny, I thought I’d already answered the question, and correctly at that. According to SCCA published records it is not Atterbury in 2009 but Carter in 2016 as I stated above, not that the difference matters to anyone but them and someone seriously close to breaking it.

The original question was what's the fastest lap at Road Atlanta for a 1.6, the answer is 1:42.71.

The 1:42.696 in 2016 was turned by a 1.8.

The record is 1:42.220 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Bench, you got me, I was wrong! I overlooked the 1.6 part of his original Q. That said, you are also wrong. The official record cannot be set in qualifying. But, the records I found marked March of 2019 are slightly out of date because Preston lowered it to 1:42.464 at the same event Danny did his lap in qualifying.

Edit: Funny, the records I found show last updated the very same day Preston lowered it.

https://cdn.connects....pdf?1552750944

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Posted by Danny Steyn.

I suspect that several track records have been broken since this list was last updated in January of 2011. Hoosiers might have compensated even more than the restrictor and weight changes.

Please jump in and modify this list with the current times. (Track records are times set during races only. Test and Qualifying sessions do not count). Moderators - can you make this sticky like we had on the old forum. Thanks

Sebring Short ...................Alex Bolanos........................1:20.189............10/09 SARRC
Sebring Long....................Andrew Charbonneau...........2:36.750............01/11 NAT
Kershaw............................Cliff Brown............................1:49.940............02/08 NAT
Roebling Road..................Mark Pombo.........................1:22.013............03/07 NAT
Road Atlanta.....................Joey Atterbury.......................1:42.71............10/09 ARRC
VIR North...........................Mat Pombo...........................1:47.364............11/06
VIR Full.............................Todd Buras...........................2:18.525............10/05 SARRC
VIR Grand.........................Bob Thornton........................3:13.212............05/05 SARRC
Lowes...............................Cliff Brown.............................1:27.259............07/09 NASA
Barber...............................Rick Maki..............................1:48.022............07/09 SARRC
Barber...............................Danny Steyn.........................1:47.377............09/10 Pro IT (ISM)
Moroso..............................Andrew Carbonnel.................1:46.093............03/06
Daytona.............................Mat Pombo............................2:21.807............05/08 NAT
Atlanta Motor Spdwy..........Mike Taylor...........................1:36.681............09/04
Homestead.........................Andrew Carbonnel...............1:48.176............6/06 ECR
Homestead Grand AM........Chip Van Vurst ....................1:38.897............01/10 NAT
Nashville.............................Mike Cottrell..........................1:12.861............09/06 SARRC
Rockingham........................Bob Thornton.......................1:09.847............03/07 SARRC
PBIR....................................Alex Bolanos........................1:33.417............03/10 SARRC

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Point being? I’m no longer questioning the fastest 1.6 lap, just stating the official SM record is not 1:42.220. Indeed, we have only Danny’s boast that it’s the fastest ever qualifying time unless you have scoured all past results.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Bench, you got me, I was wrong! I overlooked the 1.6 part of his original Q. That said, you are also wrong. The official record cannot be set in qualifying. But, the records I found marked March of 2019 are slightly out of date because Preston lowered it to 1:42.464 at the same event Danny did his lap in qualifying.

Edit: Funny, the records I found show last updated the very same day Preston lowered it.

https://cdn.connects....pdf?1552750944

Funny story about the race Preston set the track record. It was probably the most intense race I have particpated in, it was a lot of fun.  Danny, Preston, Jared and Myself were all going back and forth. Danny working mostly with jared and Preston and I working mostly together.  As you are aware, Danny tracks all his stats, especially poles and track records.  Post race I went by OPM and informed Danny that he set a new track record, after him questioning that he really reset record and it started to set in, I informed him that Preston reset it the next lap :)

• -P- likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users