mbican

mbican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Ohio
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:42
Began having vibration, want to check ppf alignment, car has mashed up floor supports.
Seem to remember seeing that shifter housing should be 1/4 inch above tunnel, can't find where I saw this posted before,does this sound familiar?
Has anyone ever seen this move during race weekend? It was properly torqued last year after diff swap.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Cant imagine a PPF alignment having anything to do with vibration? That said...when installing the ppf...get all the bolts in and started(diff and tranny). Bolts at the diff are not adjustable...basically go in one way with the top nuts and bottom washer aligning/locking into place. I make sure the top mushroom nuts fall/are pulled down into place before bolts are tightened. Once the diff bolts are tight...you can lift up on the tranny until the shifter housing is level/slightly above the hole in the tunnel. Like you...been told or read this somewhere. Not sure how uber critical this is(gladly be corrected?)but have never had a problem if in this range. The 4 bolts that connect the PPF need to be TIGHT. Not sure what the torque spec on these is(80?) but I just lean on them with the biggest wrench I have :) (old school...2-3 grunts!)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Duh, typed earlier and apparently didn't click on post. I sold my car a few weeks ago therefor can't measure and don't remember the dimension from top of shift housing to top of tunnel.  :noidea:

Within link, scroll to Engine & Clutch pages 3:46 (dimensions lower right hand corner) & 3:47 (sketch with location of said dimensions). 

https://books.google...earance&f=false

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rick Worth

Rick Worth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:24

There is a measurement before you tighten the bolts up and they say they can cause vibrations but not sure. https://forum.miata....ad.php?t=351758

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Rick, don't concern yourself about the "they" when reading a lot of the Miata net stuff. Lance is not one of "they" IMHJ, he's generally spot on. The 61 mm equals 2.79 inches and the 72 mm equals 2.41 inches with the difference being .38 inches. Or the mean being 2.60 inches. Check tight for 2.60 or 2.625 (2 5/8) inches and get on with life. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Duh, typed earlier and apparently didn't click on post. I sold my car a few weeks ago therefor can't measure and don't remember the dimension from top of shift housing to top of tunnel. :noidea:

Within link, scroll to Engine & Clutch pages 3:46 (dimensions lower right hand corner) & 3:47 (sketch with location of said dimensions).

https://books.google...earance&f=false

You didn’t fail to click post, this was posted in two places, but apparently you did miss the part about mangled floor supports (the basis for measurement) both times. :)
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

You didn’t fail to click post, this was posted in two places, but apparently you did miss the part about mangled floor supports (the basis for measurement) both times. :)

Then my St Louis friend, you should have provided the dimension from the top of tunnel to top of shifter housing. :yep: 

mbican

mbican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Ohio
  • Car Number:42
Sorry for posting in two areas, yes floor supports destroyed
Adjustment did effect my car immensely, after diff replace last summer wicked vibration more so on hard deceleration.
  • TylerQuance likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users