Photo

New to SM, 1st race Aug 1, Coolsuit Round 10qt mount advice?

- - - - - #NA6 #Coolsuit #NASANORCAL

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

djames22

djames22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:CA
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:22

Track day warrior finally making the step up to SM and couldn't be more excited!

Just tackled a year long car project getting full caged(thanks TCD!), safety, chassis and reswaping my newly 1.8 swapped NA6 back to 1.6 so she's legal(ugh did that lesson hurt.)

1st race coming Aug 1/2 at Thunder Hill w/ Nasa, and Aug heat at thunder is tough at least in California terms.

I just pulled the trigger on buying a coolsuit shirt and round 10qt system.

It was the cheapest solution after digging in other than the DIY which I am running out of time to do. 

Can anyone offer guidance on how best to mounting this Coolshirt RS-10 round style 10qt cooler?

No mounts exist for sale that I can find, nor have I been able to find any photos of home made mounts on the web.

Would be hugely helpful and most appreciated and anyone had suggestions or examples w/ photos to share.

Must thank you all for the wealth of knowledge you've been while I combed these forums for insights on the journey to this point.

Attached some pics to share my hard work and pride of joy. One is of the interior to help suggestions on mounting.

Looking forward to some great racing and times!

Thanks again, 

Deacon James

Attached Files

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Nice job!

I know we have been in contact over the last couple years...glad to see this happening! Going to send you a PM!

• djames22 likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Me not knowing the diameter or height of the Cool Suit 10 quart cooler I'd make something similar to the link below out of 1/8-3/16 aluminum. Hold your cooler near the rear firewall, hold it near the vertical of your main hoop or anyplace else which looks feasible within the passenger area. 

https://www.homedepo...-LT25/204855913

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

djames22

djames22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Me not knowing the diameter or height of the Cool Suit 10 quart cooler I'd make something similar to the link below out of 1/8-3/16 aluminum. Hold your cooler near the rear firewall, hold it near the vertical of your main hoop or anyplace else which looks feasible within the passenger area. 

https://www.homedepo...-LT25/204855913

Thanks for the link and help! I did get coolsuit on the phone a while back and they said it's 9" in diameter, but Pitstopusa.com lists it at 9.5x13". I searched for a mount like the one you linked which was specific to 10qt and couldnt find anything, so maybe some light fab work to the one you linked will get me where I need to be in the shortest time. 

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

The link picture is for a 50 pound water cooler. Way to big for your needs. Making one out of aluminum shouldn't be a big job. As an example with everyday tools I could fabricate the two pieces and have a friend weld it. I'd make both pieces out of 3/16 x 3 inch aluminum. The base piece at the bottom would be a 90* bend with no stick out each side like the link picture. The holder piece I'd bend to sort of closely fit the diameter of the cooler, 1/4 -1/2 inch larger in diameter, it might be a good idea to fit the diameter to the cooler so one could line the inside with a strip of rubber and line the bottom with a strip of rubber (wear protection). The slots for the belts can be laid out, drill a hole at each end and with a coping saw and file finish the slot. The sides of the cooler are likely tapered therefore at the side bottom of the vertical bracket one may need to have two or three layers of rubber so when the cooler is belted in it sits somewhat normal to the vertical piece of the bracket.  If there are holes in my comments, please ask or Message me.

Have Fun

David

EDIT:

I see Jim's lurking, jump in Jim.

• djames22 likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

At the risk of getting smacked, what's wrong with mounting the mounting plate to the two screws that are for the spare tire?  They are in the same plane and with a rigid metal base (to which the box attaches), seems secure.  If it's designed to hold a spare tire, it has to be able to hold the coolbox.

Nathan Pring

Nathan Pring

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:85

At the risk of getting smacked, what's wrong with mounting the mounting plate to the two screws that are for the spare tire?  They are in the same plane and with a rigid metal base (to which the box attaches), seems secure.  If it's designed to hold a spare tire, it has to be able to hold the coolbox.

That's what I did too.  I went overkill and added an additional bracket to handle forward/rearward momentum so the weight wasn't all rotating on those two screws (since the tire is flat on the ground and held down by the screw)

2019 SeDIV SMSE Champion

Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:California
  • Car Number:38

I used a 5 gallon metal bucket (literally had been a bucket of bolts) for a 2-1/2 gallon round cooler that I made.  For your system you could use a cooking stock pot, trash can, etc.  Bolt through the bottom and add a strap over the top.  

Tried to attach a photo, but can't get it smaller than 11.53kb.  Is that really the limit on upload file size?

Anyway a round metal container should work fine.

Carl

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Got a pic of the cooler?  I haven't seen anything round and nothing is on their website.

This is how I mounted mine using some angle aluminum from Lowes.  It is bolted in, not using screws.  Be careful drilling into the floor since the fuel lines run under there.

50144906507_a712a85bbf.jpgCoolsuit mounting by alberto_mg, on Flickr

If it's round, maybe you can drill into the bulkhead and ratchet strap it onto there using some angle like I did to keep the base from sliding around.

PS - you can buy ice at the track.  Also at Walmart and the gas stations too.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

djames22

djames22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Following up here, sorry for having gone dark, got burried in motor swap nightmares. Finally got it all sorted though.

Figure I would share as the end result is likely a good cost and weight conscious option for anyone considering.

Basically got a water jug bracket for landscaping trailers, cut it down and mounted it to my ballast plate(I'm 220lbs so no need for extra weights.)

The hose from the coolshirt 10Qt system reaches to the middle top of the trans tunnel and the hoses from the shirt reach that point with ease. 

This eliminated the need for the 8' hose, its weight and cost.

So all in around $400:

-cooler system($250)

-shirt($130)

-switch($3) 

Ran the power from my off my battery kill to a red led on/off switch on the dash next to my transponder hardwire kit, hour meter and Aim solo.

Pretty happy with how it came out, but recognize I may need to move the AIM up for more of a plain sight location. Worked on trackdays there, but might not prove battle worthy;) 

Excited to shake it down at the NASA NorCal Sonoma event next weekend. TT and license out Sat, SM sunday, finally!!

My desperate attempt to make the season opener evolved to just making the last race of the season ha.

Was at TFB getting dyno time yesterday, corner bal, align and stickers(1st ever set, always handmedowns to date, pumped!) Monday.

Here are some pix:

image2 (3)
image0 (4)
image1 (4)
image0 (3)

• Alberto likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Keep on smiling and HAVE FUN.

• djames22 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users