bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:SW Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

I'm looking for a data system, I assume AIM Solo is the main choice as it seems to be the one I see most often talked about.  If there is something else I should be looking at let me know.

My questions are what are the main differences btw the Solo and Solo DL.  If I am deciphering correctly the Solo is track times only but the DL gives the ability to capture throttle, brake, and other parameters.

So... if the above is correct, then I would be better served by the DL as I want simply more than lap times.

In addition, do I need to add sensors and ECU adaptor, or is simply pluging into the ECU give me brake, throttle, speed, gear, A/F, H2O temp. etc

I get to the track 4-6 times a year so I don't want to go hog wild on cost and would also like to be able to overlay data with my race friends.

What do I need for a complete set up and can I keep it under $1k.  I would look for used but there seem to be none out there.

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

The Solo 2 is a stand along product that only uses GPS. The Solo 2 DL can connect to the car through OBDII, CAN, or an RPM cable. The S2DL will also connect to a Smartycam HD. If you want video, then the S2DL is the way to go so you can automate the whole process. if you just want speed and G forces, then the Solo 2 will get it done.

What Year is your car? That will tell us what is the best connection.

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Thanks Matt.  My car is a 99, I currently have A/F gauge, oil pressure and stock gauges and I am trying to determine what else I need to order.  Yes, a camera will also be on the list and smarty cam seems to be well integrated.

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Thanks Matt.  My car is a 99, I currently have A/F gauge, oil pressure and stock gauges and I am trying to determine what else I need to order.  Yes, a camera will also be on the list and smarty cam seems to be well integrated.

With a 99 you can only do the OBDII connection, but the data may be painfully slow and not usable. There is no way to work other connections into the S2DL. It's a little more at $1,099, but the MXm is a great option. That can do the car connection and up to 4 analog channels. You could put the oil pressure and temp in along with the A/F. That would connect to the SCHD when you're ready for that as well. The MXm is popular in SM and is a great little unit.

• EricJ likes this

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

OUCH!  I just saw the smarty cam is $1,000 by itself.  I there an alternative (Go PRo?).  What does smarty do that gopro won't?

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

So with the Mxm I could add TPS, Brake sensor , and 2 other items?  What items do you feel are most beneficial.

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

So with the Mxm I could add TPS, Brake sensor , and 2 other items?  What items do you feel are most beneficial.

OUCH!  I just saw the smarty cam is $1,000 by itself.  I there an alternative (Go PRo?).  What does smarty do that gopro won't?

The SCHD works automatically without you having to do anything. It powers on, records, stops recording, and powers off automatically. It also writes the data on the video real time, so you can take the SD card out and play it right away on your computer (or smart TV!)

I would add I would add TPS, oil pressure, oil temp, and maybe steering. Brake pressure is indicated in Long G very well and with TPS, you can really tell what is going on. If you had more channels, then brake is great, but with only 4, I'd take steering.

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I've been using the AIM Solo for years now.  It's been replaced with the Solo 2.  It's a really nice product but not 'expandable' as mentioned above.  I use it mostly for lap timing but have started playing with data analysis.  The data analysis does have a learning curve that I don't have a ton of time to master but it's a fun, sometimes frustrating, challenge.

Another option for you if you want cheap and expandable is the Race Capture system from Autosport Labs.

https://www.autospor...tion_telemetry/

They make some cool products and it's very expandable, works with Go Pro and other cameras, has a dash, can display other gauges etc.  I haven't bought one of these yet but probably will do so soon.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Another option for you if you want cheap and expandable is the Race Capture system from Autosport Labs.

They make some cool products and it's very expandable, works with Go Pro and other cameras, has a dash, can display other gauges etc.  I haven't bought one of these yet but probably will do so soon.

I've been using the AIM Solo for years now.  It's been replaced with the Solo 2.  It's a really nice product but not 'expandable' as mentioned above.  I use it mostly for lap timing but have started playing with data analysis.  The data analysis does have a learning curve that I don't have a ton of time to master but it's a fun, sometimes frustrating, challenge.

Race Capture doesn't have a dash solution. They do it all through tablets or Rasberry Pi displays. That creates a few potential problems like tablets overheating, moisture, etc.  The telemetry part of the RC systems is what most people seem to like.

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas

I had a Solo for years. It gets you 90% of what you need except data on video. You can overlay data on the video, but it takes significant work and you can't do it to review between track sessions.

This year my local AIM dealer upgraded me to an MxM with RPM, Throttle Position & Brake Pressure and a Smarty Cam. This allows me to review video w/ data between each track session.

Be sure and check out the videos of the AIM webcasts and get on their list so you can attend them. They've be great!

https://www.youtube....2BY19jmYH-1p18A

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

I had a Solo for years. It gets you 90% of what you need except data on video. You can overlay data on the video, but it takes significant work and you can't do it to review between track sessions.

This year my local AIM dealer upgraded me to an MxM with RPM, Throttle Position & Brake Pressure and a Smarty Cam. This allows me to review video w/ data between each track session.

Be sure and check out the videos of the AIM webcasts and get on their list so you can attend them. They've be great!

this sounds like the route I may want to go.  How much if I may ask, roughly $2500?

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

$2,500ish plus install is around where the MXm, SCHD, brake pressure, rotary pot, patch cables, and mount would be price wise.

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

JCOgle

JCOgle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:37

Matt,

What dealer do you work with?

1994 Miata #15

MoHud Region

Lanesborough, MA

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

best value we have found is the EVO4s with a G dash. 5 analog Chanels plus RPM. Can add more channels (4) with Chanel expansion. We generally log A/F, Fuel Pressure, Fuel Level, Oil P, water temp, Brake pressure, steering angle, TPS, RPM. Or for a bit more money we go with a MXLII adding the expansion cable. 

The solo is great for just starting out but will not expand to other sensors. it does work great for stealing other peoples data. 

The gain for a Smarty over a GoPro is it works. Turns itself on and off from data command. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Matt,

What dealer do you work with?

I'm www.trailbrake.com. You can email me at matt@trailbrake.net too.

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas

I paid a little more than that, my dealer did all the install. The RPM and throttle position are direct wired in so no additional sensors needed. The brake pressure uses a sensor. I already had aftermarket water temp and oil pressure gauges. I still have 2 of the 4 data channels available. RPM is separate and doesn't use a channel. 

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

The solo is great for just starting out but will not expand to other sensors. it does work great for stealing other peoples data. 

:clap:  :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

I'm assuming that one can only overlay data from the same brand? In other words, I can't overlay data from AIM to another brand.

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

I'm assuming that one can only overlay data from the same brand? In other words, I can't overlay data from AIM to another brand.

Using AiM's Race Studio 2 or 3 Analysis, you can only compare AiM data. If you use www.trackattack.io, you can import data from almost any system and compare the data.

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Double post

0 user(s) are reading this topic