DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Just a few questions...how are the "pre-bed pads" bed to the rotors?  In other words, if I buy "pre-bed" pads, what are they bed to?

What do I do with the pads and rotors that I apparently messed up?

When you switch pad compounds, do you need to switch rotors?

Why are these pads so complicated?

https://youtu.be/xW4Bs1jiI60

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
As you’ve surmised, pre-bed is a misnomer, pre-baked or pre-gassed would be more honest. You still need to bed them, and the most important part of that is putting down a uniform film of pad material on the rotor.

Old rotors are fine, just sand them enough to remove any deposits or have them minimally turned. Pads are likely just glazed so you can sand them as well and they will probably be good to go.

As for why they are so difficult even compared to others you’ve run, ask the manufacturer but the easy answer is predictable enough. Personally I tried the various popular brands then settled on Cobalt which has none of these issues and were exceptional IMO, but lately I’m hearing about supply issues.
  • Jim Drago and DrDomm like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,370 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I agree with what Steve said above.  Since I run the same compound all the time, I put pads on without changes rotors often.  I also put new pads on for one of the qualifying sessions.  I hit the brakes a few times for the first few corners while scrubbing and then went 100% with no issues. I have heard a few stories of pre bedding and decided quickly I didn't have time to waste for $20.00, so I have NEVER run anything but the pre bedded.  I know they are put in an oven and heated and basically heat cycled. But that is a question for Danny.

jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

TylerQuance

TylerQuance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:70
I also swear by G-Loc compounds and buying pre-bed. I run the 16/10 combo exclusively only because I have found 18s are hard on rotors. Also I send it 100% and don't worry much about bedding to rotors.

New pads are great and will always give the best initial bite mostly because they are flat and parallel. I always replace them with 3/4 meat left or more due to slight pad taper which causes drag and a spongy pedal. When I'm feeling crafty (or out of money) I'll put used pads on my mill and grind them flat and parallel again.

tq
  • Jim Drago likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users