bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:SW Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

Like the title says. I am currently running DTC 60/30's on my 99 (w/ Toyos).  I am a mid-pack driver and not especially subtle or refined on the brakes.  Having said that, unless I try something different, how will I know if I can be better?  Maybe my current combo simply lets me stab the brakes and get away with it.

It seems G-Loc has a lot of fans here, what combo's is everyone running, what do you feel would be good for my situation?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Like the title says. I am currently running DTC 60/30's on my 99 (w/ Toyos).  I am a mid-pack driver and not especially subtle or refined on the brakes.  Having said that, unless I try something different, how will I know if I can be better?  Maybe my current combo simply lets me stab the brakes and get away with it.

It seems G-Loc has a lot of fans here, what combo's is everyone running, what do you feel would be good for my situation?

I run 18/12s

I would recommend 16/12 for you to try first

Jim

• Sphinx and Andy L like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Vinnie Baratta

Vinnie Baratta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Theres alot of variance in one people run on GLOC compounds, at least from talking to folks locally.

I mostly run 16/10 on Hoosiers.  At some tracks and specifically for Toyos I'll back that down to 12/8 or 12/10

There's some folks down here that run as low as 10s up front on Toyos and are as happy as can be.

I'm actually contemplating moving to 16/12 as my baseline after looking at some data and trends for the season.

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:SW Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

Thank Jim.

Vinnie - I'd be happy to hear your thoughts and the different compounds.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I run 18/12s

I would recommend 16/12 for you to try first

Jim

I'm trying this too.  I was on 12/10's at Road Atlanta last weekend and I had no confidence in the brakes.  I think the flat spotting issues have been due to having to dig to slow the car down, ultimately, too much.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I'm trying this too.  I was on 12/10's at Road Atlanta last weekend and I had no confidence in the brakes.  I think the flat spotting issues have been due to having to dig to slow the car down, ultimately, too much.

I tried carbotech pads twice back in the day and hated them as I felt like I got a leg work out and had to stand on the pedal to get the car to slow. Very similar to 12/10 combo. When i switched in 18 to G Loc, I went right to 18/12 and never looked back. It has the feel I like with tremendous stopping power. Some say it is too aggressive which is why I recommend 16/12 as good starting point 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

John Wilding

John Wilding

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:CFR / Southeast
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:126

How do you consistent G-Loc users like the wear? I tried a set of 12/10's at Sebring Long Course and they were 70% gone by the end of the weekend. I'm not sure if I had a wonky set or if they always wear quickly. The race weekend was a sprint format so I was on track maybe 2 hours. 

Alternatively I can get 3-4 weekends out of a set of PFC 97's or Hawk Blues in the same type of format. 

Thanks for any thoughts/comments.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

How do you consistent G-Loc users like the wear? I tried a set of 12/10's at Sebring Long Course and they were 70% gone by the end of the weekend. I'm not sure if I had a wonky set or if they always wear quickly. The race weekend was a sprint format so I was on track maybe 2 hours.

Alternatively I can get 3-4 weekends out of a set of PFC 97's or Hawk Blues in the same type of format.

Thanks for any thoughts/comments.

Unless different from other brands, the more aggressive pads are harder and last longer, at some expense of rotors (which are comparatively cheap). So don’t compare your mileage to someone running 16s or 18s up front.
  • John Wilding likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

My Gloc data...non-scientific! 

I only use 10/8 combo(rentals/faster drivers). Rears last twice as long as front...fronts a minimum 3 weekends is typical. I use 2 sets of pads per rotor then chuck rotors. Never thought they lasted any longer or shorter than other pads I've tried...then again it has been awhile since I used anything else! 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

John Wilding

John Wilding

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:CFR / Southeast
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:126

Thanks for the input fellas. 

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

i also use 10/8 on a 1.6, and i get 2-3 weekends out of a set of fronts (depends on if one of the weekends is blackhawk). i changed the rears after 8+ weekends, they werent much dead but i did anyway, cause it was so long. there is plenty of "life" left in the pads when they come off, maybe 50%ish material left. but i can start to feel in the petal travel due to the taper in the pads, and thats when i pull them out. brakes are my only weapon, gotta keep it sharp. if you were fine with some extra petal travel, you can push them longer is what im saying. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I'm on 10/8 Carbotechs but want to go with a more aggressive pad compound.  They don't seem to have enough bite.  Especially now with the RR.  Seemed better matched to RA1.  

I liked the amount of bite that the Hawk DTC 60/60 and 60/30 had.  IT was more than the 10/8 Carbotechs.  I'm hoping the more aggressive CB compound has similar bite.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users