Photo

LiquiMoly Products: anyone using them in an SM?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Curious if anyone is using any of their stuff in their SM. A friend wants me to give me some of their trans/diff fluids. Doesn't look like they sell a racing engine oil that I could find in their catalog.

I know that they mostly make stuff for German cars but I do know that they've been trying to gain a foothold with Asian brands.

Just curious.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

What part of Asia do you live in?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

What part of Asia do you live in?

LOL! :) Clarified above. :)

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
For me, any chance of real benefits are overwhelmed by BS testimonials like this one from a guy trying it on his 2007 Civic daily driver:

“ The difference was shocking. It immediately ran smoother. Most noticeable to me is the behavior on the freeway, when I step on the gas without downshifting. Even running at very low rpm, the car still accelerates. The vehicle also feels like there is less drag, when letting off the gas in gear and it has less resistance when rolling. So far, I put on about 1,000 miles since the oil change and the fact that I am able to feel a positive difference just from an oil change is a great sign. It wasn’t until using LIQUI MOLY that I realized that my engine was in fact tired from all the hard driving miles, and my car just feels rejuvenated with this new oil and Cera Tec. I’m glad that I have finally found myself an oil brand that I can stick with.”

If you’ve been around long you will have seen this movie before, again and again.

Factually, modern restrictions on street legal lubricants have created some issues particularly for much older cars. But nothing comes even close to supporting claims by additive marketing campaigns.
  • Jim Drago and lillyweld like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

For me, any chance of real benefits are overwhelmed by BS testimonials like this one from a guy trying it on his 2007 Civic daily driver:

“ The difference was shocking. It immediately ran smoother. Most noticeable to me is the behavior on the freeway, when I step on the gas without downshifting. Even running at very low rpm, the car still accelerates. The vehicle also feels like there is less drag, when letting off the gas in gear and it has less resistance when rolling. So far, I put on about 1,000 miles since the oil change and the fact that I am able to feel a positive difference just from an oil change is a great sign. It wasn’t until using LIQUI MOLY that I realized that my engine was in fact tired from all the hard driving miles, and my car just feels rejuvenated with this new oil and Cera Tec. I’m glad that I have finally found myself an oil brand that I can stick with.”

If you’ve been around long you will have seen this movie before, again and again.

Factually, modern restrictions on street legal lubricants have created some issues particularly for much older cars. But nothing comes even close to supporting claims by additive marketing campaigns.

LOL!  He probably doubled the hp from 1hp to 2hp at the wheels - impressive! 

FWIW, their race brake fluid has a dry pt of 608 and a wet boiling pt of 382 for half the cost of Motul.

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

FWIW I have been using LiquiMoly products on my German and Euro customers for a few years now with no issues and their prices are competitive compared to others such as Mobil 1. Early on I asked my rep about them bringing LM racing oil in, and they said more than likely no, but contacted someone in engineering with what I am doing with the Miata( RPMs,Temp,racing,etc..) and he suggested their 5-40 Diesel oil. That's what I have been using for over 6 years so far(knocking on wood).

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

FWIW I have been using LiquiMoly products on my German and Euro customers for a few years now with no issues and their prices are competitive compared to others such as Mobil 1. Early on I asked my rep about them bringing LM racing oil in, and they said more than likely no, but contacted someone in engineering with what I am doing with the Miata( RPMs,Temp,racing,etc..) and he suggested their 5-40 Diesel oil. That's what I have been using for over 6 years so far(knocking on wood).

All fine, but “I’ve used it with no problems” isn’t really saying anything. Or maybe I should say it’s the whole point, because literally any brand oil you choose, including non-synthetics and most oils from 40 years ago, would pass that same criteria. When it comes to modern street cars, the very last thing someone really needs to worry about is the brand oil being used, yet it’s one of the biggest points of debate with the least actual supporting knowledge. Other than maybe being able to impress a prospective owner when you decide to sell it yourself rather than trade it for your next euro-ride, you benefit not a bit from one brand over another. Even with our “race” engines the key is running the right viscosity for your bearing clearances and lifter type. Synthetic is wise because it’s somewhat more efficient and we can actually run pretty high temps, but people who change it every weekend (pointless unless running enduros at least) aren’t even benefiting from it’s durability.

As for the 5-40 diesel oil, that’s fine I’m sure if you run fairly stock clearances and don’t have hydraulic lifters (or don’t see high oil temps even in summer). Hopefully the person who recommended it considered those points.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Early on when I first started racing, I sent some samples to Blackstone Labs for analysis.  Mostly to try and gauge how quickly the oil was wearing and hone in on a good oil change interval.  For the engine, I tested the Race version of Redline oils and the Schaeffer's from Advanced.  Both were good and both had been changed with plenty of life left in them.  

I wouldn't use 'diesel oils' in these engines personally.  They are good oils for their intended use but the additive package associated with the 'Race' oils is more beneficial for the intended use than the additive package for the diesel oils. YMMV and all that...

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Quite a few people run diesel oils in real race engines. I haven’t followed the constantly changing regulations and additive packages lately but the (turbo) diesel oils such as Rotella are designed for sustained high temps and very high cylinder pressures, and retained more of the additives needed by older engines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users