Photo

Upper Control Arms Out of Spec

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,447 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Tighten at ride height?  How do you do that?

Have the car with all weight (driver, driver equipment, cool suite water, 1 gallon of usable gas) included with the car at ride height high enough off the garage floor so that one may reach under the car to tighten the suspension bolts. My weight scale stands were fabricated to a height which I could lay on garage floor and tighten said bolts.  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TylerQuance

TylerQuance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:70
Put a floor jack under the LBJ or rear knuckle while the car is in the air and lift until it's near where ride height would be. I have found it doesn't need to be exact, just get it in the range.

Think of all your rubber bushings as torsion springs. When you tighten the bolts with the arms in droop, the torsion spring is "wound up" when you set the car back down. Then they can slip a little on-track and your setup is perpetually awful.
  • DrDomm likes this

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1998
  • Car Number:94

Put a floor jack under the LBJ or rear knuckle while the car is in the air and lift until it's near where ride height would be. I have found it doesn't need to be exact, just get it in the range.

Think of all your rubber bushings as torsion springs. When you tighten the bolts with the arms in droop, the torsion spring is "wound up" when you set the car back down. Then they can slip a little on-track and your setup is perpetually awful.

Yep, the car is at about ride height when the jack lifts the car off the jackstand. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

That is very interesting, and makes sense.  Thanks.  

If anyone wants to know how to do a C-Section or something else, I can trade some medical knowledge for basic mechanical or racing knowledge.   :laughing:  :noidea:

• Tom Sager likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users